Removing paint from plastic bumper HELP!! - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 1,980 Times in 1,296 Posts
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Removing paint from plastic bumper HELP!!

First I wasn't sure where to post this but figured I do it here.

Here's the situation. The a-hole dealership that traded this truck must have been the ones to do this. It was raining the day I went to inspect/buy the truck and I missed this. As you will see in the pictures they shot the hitch with some black paint, it must have had some surface rust. However the moron that did this didn't even bother to mask off before and there is black paint on the plastic part of the bumper.

This is one of those things I've been meaning to take care of for a while and now it's time. The only thing is I'm not sure what to use that won't melt/stain/hurt the plastic. Car wash detergent didn't touch it even with ample "scrubbing", the outcome I expected really, it is paint after all.

All solutions appreciated and don't take the next sentence the wrong way. I'm looking for somebody that has actually done this, not "well, this might work blah blah blah". I'm not taking chances with product "x" and screwing up my bumper. It is after all my truck we're talking about here. If I can't get a solid answer here, I'll just have to try various products underneath where it won't be visible in case something eats the plastic.

Anyway, I bet cctmobiledetail has experience with this and maybe others.
Help a brother out!!

And yea, I know my truck is dirty in those pics it was raining here, again, so save the smart comments.

Report a bad/flaming/illegal post by clicking on or

Last edited by ToddG; 06-06-2008 at 08:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 09:28 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Try Castrol Super Clean, you can get it at Walmart in the automotive section. It will not harm plastic, and should remove that paint. Just spray it on, and scrub it off with a terry towel. You may have to apply it a few times. The overspray doesn't look to bad so it should come off fairly easily. Let me know how it works out.

2003 Frontier SC 4X4 Crew Cab. Black.
St. Louis, Missouri

Last edited by Grim Reaper; 06-06-2008 at 09:30 AM.
#3 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 10:02 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Location: Johannesburg, South Africa. Have now moved to Brisbane Australia
I used laquer thinners to remove paint overspray on my front bumper it worked well for me although having said that the paint was not that old.
Just don't use it on a painted surface as it will remove the paint.

Hope this works for you.

Regards
#4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 01:04 PM
Shift_Newbie

Send a message via AIM to SouthernOffRoad Send a message via Yahoo to SouthernOffRoad
You might try one of the Goo Gone or Oops! products. I work for the company that manufactures those products and they are pretty good at removing overspray. There is a product in the Goo Gone line called Painters Pal, it is designed for overspray and shouldn't hurt the plastic.
#5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Keep us posted on what you tried and what worked well, I am sure this info would be of interest to a lot of people here.

06 nismo, White, Stock mostly, retrax Pro bed cover custom pipe rack. I thought I had purchased JUST what I wanted...UNTIL I CAME TO CLUBFRONTIER.
#6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06nismoKC View Post
Keep us posted on what you tried and what worked well, I am sure this info would be of interest to a lot of people here.
I will absolutely report back after my attempt. So far a few ideas. Come on guys, somebody had to have a similar experience. cct where are you bro?

#7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 07:54 AM
Shift_Fanatic

wow lol sorry for laughing what the hell is wrong with the person who came up with the idea to paint it like that...GL with getting it off...paint thinner maybe let me know if you get it off

Exterior:5" calmini lift,3"Body Lift,PRG UCA,Radflo extended coilovers w/ external res,2" spacer,deaver AAL,fox res shocks,20x10 moto metals wrapped w/ 35x12.50r20 toyo open country M/T,dual borla exaust ,smoked out tail lights,smoked out third led brake light,6000k H.I.D,4 pc billet grille,led license plate lights,westin stainless step bars,airraid throttle body spacer,Volant CAI,5%tint on back, windows double 5 on fronts,Clifford 50.5x alarm w/ remote start,optima yellow top,hood bug deflector, rain window guards
Interior:all in one Valor double din,9.2 in headrest monitors,blue led dome lights,blue led gauge lights,DD 9510 sub,2 DD m1b amps,in a custom plexi box
#8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

It came OFF !!

Well it came off. First I will say I didn't run any where and buy anything new, I figured something I already have would work.

I tried Simple Green full strength with a scrub brush and it took some of the little specks off, but didn't touch the heavy stuff.

Then I grew a sack and grabbed the lighter fluid. Started on the bottom part of the bumper that you can't see unless you're laying under the vehicle. It started to come off, even the heavy stuff, but I had to scrub like he11. Then I noticed it started to turn a little white . . OOOOOPPPPPPPS . . . run get a wet rag, wipe it off quick!! Good thing I tested underneath.

Then I grabbed the acetone (same stuff they make nail polish remover out of). Again started on the bottom and it wiped right off with zero scrubbing! Since there was already a little whiteness I couldn't tell if it was hurting the plastic for sure so I had to grow a bigger sack and try it on an exposed portion of the bumper. Bingo, it wiped right off, easy peezy. It did not melt or discolor my bumper at all, whew. After a quick wipe with the acetone, I wiped it with a wet rag just to be sure it wasn't one of those things that takes a little while to re-act.

I used a little Mothers Back to Black on the bottom part where it started to turn white and that brought it back where it blended in with the surrounding plastic just fine.

So there you go. And the truck did get it's bath after this, so it was still dirty in this picture, sorry about that.

Oh, I almost forgot. If I find out who the person is that did this they are getting put at the top of the list of people I need to kick in the nuts before I die (I really should start kicking soon, the list gets bigger every day if you know what I mean . . lol).

Last edited by ToddG; 06-07-2008 at 08:17 AM.
#9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Cool, glad you got the stuff off.

2003 Frontier SC 4X4 Crew Cab. Black.
St. Louis, Missouri
#10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 01:58 PM
Shift_Fanatic

i was just gonna say mineral spirits my dad spilled a whole quart in his bed once

nice job

im stilll tring to figure how to clean the bottle of wax that blew up in my bed

SILVER 05 Nismo Crew Cab
STILLEN High-Flow Intake, yellow fogs
PRG leveling kit
Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 286/75/r16
Grizzly locker (aka eaton no-spin)
Softtopper soft top canopy
need new rear bumper

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > Detailing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.