Paint issues: What options do I have? - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Paint issues: What options do I have?

So when I purchased this truck about 10 months ago. I negotiated with the Nissan dealership to paint the top of the roof because it was missing paint/rusting. The missing paint was essentially along the indented grooves where I believe you would install a roof-rack. I didn't really pay any attention to the issue so I went ahead and purchased the vehicle.

Over the past 1.5 months, the fender started to shed paint. The paint looks bubbly and is chipping away. The paint chip was around the sizes of two quarters side by side but got larger at time went on. I don't know if you can see the "bubble effect" on the paint through the photos. I did some research on this thread and saw that folks filed complaints against Nissan North America. I did the same but found out last week that they would not repaint the fender. I really have no plans to purchase a Nissan every again at this moment - this was my first Nissan. It was pretty obvious to me after researching on the internet that this specific truck in blue electric paint has issues but Nissan simply wasn't having it.

I would like to know if it would be possible to try some touch-up paint? Buddy of mine highly recommends Dr. ColorChip which I know is geared towards chips which my finder issue is significantly larger than but what if I bought two kits and took my time?

https://www.drcolorchip.com/

Anything I can put on the paint-missing-finder to prevent further chipping?

2009 4x4 Pro-4x crew cab, purchased with 86k miles, one owner.

Thanks for your time.

Here is actual chip. Probably from a rock or something so I may actually buy the kit and see how it works.

Last edited by ArkyDen30; 03-19-2016 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Newbie

Bump
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Thanked 3,112 Times in 2,092 Posts
Garage
Seems to me that the only way to make it look right is to repaint the entire vehicle. There has been issues with peeling paint on certain colors of Frontiers and from what I gathered, they had to be repainted.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 08:13 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
I don't think Dr Colorchip is designed for areas that large.

I agree with Zero, the only way to fix that is repaint. That said, the paint doesn't look as though it had proper adherence from the factory. I would appeal to Nissan Corporate and see if they can/will help. If they are aware (and willing to admit) of an issue they may be willing to fix it. However, 7 models years later you may be outta' luck.

R.T.

2016, SV Crew Cab, 4.0L, Gun Metallic, 265/75/16 Cooper Discoverer AT/3, SV Value Pkg., BAK Revolver X2, WeatherTech Floor Liners, Rear Diff Vent Mod., EZ Down tailgate assist.
The Following User Says Thank You to R.T. For This Useful Post:
Zero Six LE (03-21-2016)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 10:00 AM
Shift_Hardcore

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Garage
Nissan paint does not have a good reputation for paint sticking on, especially on the blue ones. Myself, I've had a 2004 Electric Blue truck in Arizona but it's mostly garaged, and it's still OK, but other 2003-2004 Electric Blue ones I've seen that are parked outside have shed ALL their paint on the side exposed to the afternoon sun (one left side, the other the right side).

Even my 1998 white Frontier started to shed a small amount of paint after a dozen years, and when I tried to touch up such spots the new paint caused blistering around it, a lost cause. I did sand and paint a larger area near the tail light where paint had fallen off while I was doing some minor straightening through the tail light housing holes, but I can't put blame on Nissan for that.

'98 2WD, 4-cylinder, 5-speed, white regular cab, purchased in 2004 with 100K on it for the kids to drive, now it's back with us, 214K. 2004 King Cab 2WD, 4-cylinder, 5-speed, electric blue purchased in Dec. 2011 at 89K. Also 1988 Mazda B2200 Cab Plus truck (since 1994, 212K), 2WD, 4-cylinder, 5-speed, great truck. And 1971 VW Convertible (mine since 1976) and 1970 VW (mine since 1972).
The Following User Says Thank You to Cusser For This Useful Post:
Zero Six LE (03-21-2016)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Newbie

Nissan North America shot me down already. I am going to try the Dr. Color Paint kit for at least the front hood chip. Depending upon how much paint I have left then I may sand down the fender and paint it. I'll post updates accordingly.

Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to ArkyDen30 For This Useful Post:
Zero Six LE (03-21-2016)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 03:50 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thats not electric blue that looks like majestic blue same as my 07. My roof peeled in the channels giving me rust, repainted the entire roof for $500.00.

My hood is peeling on the sides with bubbles, the 2 front fenders in the cracks is peeling.. Good luck, only solution for me is just paying out of pocket and painting the problem areas..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Burt For This Useful Post:
ToddG (05-15-2016), Zero Six LE (05-13-2016)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 09:49 PM
Opi
Shift_Newbie

Thats too far gone to bother with touch up paint unfortunately.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt View Post
Thats not electric blue that looks like majestic blue same as my 07. My roof peeled in the channels giving me rust, repainted the entire roof for $500.00.

My hood is peeling on the sides with bubbles, the 2 front fenders in the cracks is peeling.. Good luck, only solution for me is just paying out of pocket and painting the problem areas..
How much did you pay for them to touch up the problem areas? Who did you use? I am considering it if it looks flawless and reasonably priced.

Thanks!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 12:41 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Garage
Ha !! I just pulled off a quarter-sized piece of white paint off my white 1998 Frontier this week, I had put masking tape under the mirror area as I tried to tighten the mirror adjustment bolt with a 10mm socket.

Bummer is that the door metal is in the way for this, had to take off the door panel and then the mirror itself just to tighten that bolt !!! Great engineering, Nissan !!!

And yes, that 1998 Frontier (white) started to develop paint peeling issues just within the last 5 years. Yes, we park it outside in Arizona. When I tried to spot paint with tough-up paint or aerosol, the solvents in those just bubbled up more paint and made it worse. When I banged out a dent on this near the taillight, I painted about half that panel (aerosol paint from automotivetouchup.com

My 2004 Frontier is mostly garaged, so even being Electric Blue it has avoided the paint peeling syndrome. But in my neighborhood, two Electric Blue Frontiers (2003 & 2004) have each had tons of paint shedding only on the sides that face the mid-day and afternoon sun, one on driver side and one on passenger side. So non-scientific thought tells me that heat from the sun is involved, maybe the blue just gets hotter. Anyway, Nissan likely uses a paint supplier (made in USA) same as some other brands, right? So why do these have major paint issues? I would say that such vehicles are seen by potential buyers, who get turned away from Nissans.

'98 2WD, 4-cylinder, 5-speed, white regular cab, purchased in 2004 with 100K on it for the kids to drive, now it's back with us, 214K. 2004 King Cab 2WD, 4-cylinder, 5-speed, electric blue purchased in Dec. 2011 at 89K. Also 1988 Mazda B2200 Cab Plus truck (since 1994, 212K), 2WD, 4-cylinder, 5-speed, great truck. And 1971 VW Convertible (mine since 1976) and 1970 VW (mine since 1972).

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > Detailing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.