Detailing Eng. Compartment, what to use, what to cover (POST #4) - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Detailing Eng. Compartment, what to use, what to cover (POST #4)

I use a product called S-100 that get's my dirt bike back to like new clean. Here is a picture.

It is pricey at $10 per quart but I could probably get the whole engine of my Frontier with half a bottle. I prefer this stuff to simple green on my bike, but the bikes gets mud on the hot engine and so is essentially baked on. My Frontier is pretty clean as it only has 30,000 miles but I'd like to get it as new looking as possible for selling purposes.

What do I NOT want to get wet under the hood?

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 10:27 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor111 View Post
I use a product called S-100 that get's my dirt bike back to like new clean. Here is a picture.

It is pricey at $10 per quart but I could probably get the whole engine of my Frontier with half a bottle. I prefer this stuff to simple green on my bike, but the bikes gets mud on the hot engine and so is essentially baked on. My Frontier is pretty clean as it only has 30,000 miles but I'd like to get it as new looking as possible for selling purposes.

What do I NOT want to get wet under the hood?

Greg
i love huskyssssss, handle like a dreammm

but yoo, were you getting this stuff?

-Josh-

99 Nissan Fronterra XE V6 4X4
-3 inch lift, 33s and a lot of fab work-
AC, CalSHITTY, Ballistic Fab, Bilstien, KC, Shrockworks, L&P, SLR, Copperhead Fab, Pro Comp, Cherrybomb, K&N, RockHumperFab, Chaos Fab

Das build thread:
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f...a-build-53175/

Yeah, it's the new king of everything,
and b*tches don't say no to me, I'm like a wedding ring.

Thinking of buying from Calmini... look here:
http://www.nissanoffroad.net/message...p?topic=1321.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutabovetherest View Post
what's a gyno?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frijolero View Post
Don't lie josh, you know you like having a pair in your face and in your hands at the same time.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 10:40 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
pretty much all is okay except electrical connectors, especially mass air flow, coils, and injectors connectors. If you do, disconnect them and blow them out, no air then wd40

"Understeer, when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer, when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower, how fast you hit the wall. Torque, how far you take the wall with you."

0-60 video P4070007 - YouTube

OWNER BUILT REAR BUMPER AND TIRE CARRIER
OMF street-locked Nismo wheels, 456 GEARS
Shrock skids, winch bumper, 9500# winch.PRG 10 leaf packs, Radflos, BFG KM2 305/70/16
Confer roof rack, aluminum tool boxes, Piaa 525 driving/fog, projector HID headlights, and fogs, Carbon fiber grill sliders, crossdrilled rotors, EBC pads, 1 touch windows. Owner built engine and Custom fit Ken Bell Super Charger. NISMO T stat, UPREV http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn1EvGKO1Yo

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 05:53 AM
Shift_Hardcore

Engine Compartment detailing tips from a Professional Detailer

It would depend on how dirty your engine compartment is, but I 1st of all am a professional detailer and own my own company with 15 Yrs and 4400+ vehicles detailed. Anyway, I normally use Either Purple Power or Castrol Heavy duty degreaser, unless the grease is thick, then I use oil eater ( caution : oil eater is hot, and will etch [stain immediately ] aluminum ). If selling your vehicle, and thats why your cleaning the engine compartment, spray with the castrol or purple power, all over engine compartment and let sit for 10 minutes, brush any heavily greasey areas and reapply more spray after brushing while in your 10 minute window.

Rinse with strong stream of water ( I use a pressure washer, but stay off obvious electrical connections or around obvious places that will damage ){ do not use a steam cleaner as steam ruins computers }, immediately after rinsing entire engine bay , start the vehicle and let the engine dry your compartment.

Then if selling the vehicle , but not driving at all or very little......use an Oil base tire dressing ( clear "Mequires Hot Shine" works best ) and spray all over engine compartment and let dry.

If selling, but need to drive the vehicle and still want a nice finish on the black rubber engine compartment use leather conditioner on all the hoses, black plastic pieces, etc.

If your selling a classic car or the like and want the inside to be factory looking, use baby powder on the hoses and the plastic pieces.

note: Know that dressing applied to your compartment is a grease and dirt magnet , so apply according to the above application.

.................................................. .................................................. ..................

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cctmobiledetail For This Useful Post:
14frontier (03-16-2016), Law1371 (04-01-2016), lv2dirtbike (02-07-2008), Spartandoc (09-30-2012), Vagrant (07-15-2010)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 09:22 AM
Shift_Fanatic

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cctmobiledetail View Post
It would depend on how dirty your engine compartment is, but I 1st of all am a professional detailer and own my own company with 15 Yrs and 4400+ vehicles detailed. Anyway, I normally use Either Purple Power or Castrol Heavy duty degreaser, unless the grease is thick, then I use oil eater ( caution : oil eater is hot, and will etch [stain immediately ] aluminum ). If selling your vehicle, and thats why your cleaning the engine compartment, spray with the castrol or purple power, all over engine compartment and let sit for 10 minutes, brush any heavily greasey areas and reapply more spray after brushing while in your 10 minute window.

Rinse with strong stream of water ( I use a pressure washer, but stay off obvious electrical connections or around obvious places that will damage ){ do not use a steam cleaner as steam ruins computers }, immediately after rinsing entire engine bay , start the vehicle and let the engine dry your compartment.

Then if selling the vehicle , but not driving at all or very little......use an Oil base tire dressing ( clear "Mequires Hot Shine" works best ) and spray all over engine compartment and let dry.

If selling, but need to drive the vehicle and still want a nice finish on the black rubber engine compartment use leather conditioner on all the hoses, black plastic pieces, etc.

If your selling a classic car or the like and want the inside to be factory looking, use baby powder on the hoses and the plastic pieces.

note: Know that dressing applied to your compartment is a grease and dirt magnet , so apply according to the above application.

.................................................. .................................................. ..................

Awsome info on the detailing. Thank you. This should be stickyed.

Love the photo, gotta stop stareing... and drooling. Mmmmmmmm...302, shaker.

Your first shot puts him down, then you put one in his brain. Then he's dead, then we go home.
-Tic Tac

Shift _¯Elevation
`````________
_____l_l__,\___\,___
l_/¯\_l_l_/¯\_[=\oo/=]
.`ll__¯¯¯`ll__¯¯`ll__
`(o)_)'' `(o)_)--¤--)_)

'07 CC LWB SE 4x4
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 10:39 AM
Shift_Obsessed

thanks for the professional information.

2005 Frontier CC Nismo 4x4
Exterior: 20% tint, ARE Topper
Performance: NISMO CAI
Suspension: Radflo 2" front, Bils5125 rear with Calmini 1.5" Shackles, Deaver AAL, 285/75 GY Duratrac
Electronics: skipped the HU, audio in to Alpine ERE G180 Equalizer, JL A4300, Alpine MRP 350, Infinity Kappa 60.7cs and 62.7i, JL Stealthbox
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Your welcome for the info ... look at the hood buffing post

Your welcome for the info ... look at the hood buffing post , for more info and some of my clients pics.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 12:14 AM
Banned
Shift_lurker

x2 on the purple power. I use it through a foam cannon, let it soak, then pressure wash it off. Only variation I have in the process is I hose the entire engine compartment down with tire foam, then start the engine and let it dry like that. Haven't had a problem, and I've noticed that by doing it that way it really cuts down on the dirt collection.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 08:29 AM
Shift_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycrackcorn View Post
x2 on the purple power. I use it through a foam cannon, let it soak, then pressure wash it off. Only variation I have in the process is I hose the entire engine compartment down with tire foam, then start the engine and let it dry like that. Haven't had a problem, and I've noticed that by doing it that way it really cuts down on the dirt collection.
spraying any kind of tire foam or dressing on the engine is a dirt magnet
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 11:20 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I finally got the nerve to clean my engine bay too. I just used some commercial degreaser and diluted it down a bit more. I didn't want to do a full spray on anything, even though I covered up the battery and filter. I just misted everything nicely.....saturated with the degreaser....let sit for about 5 minutes....rinsed.....and drove around for a couple minutes. it still looks 100x better than it did. I'm going to ahve to do my fiance's Focus this weekend. Thanks for the advice guys!

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > Detailing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.