Upgrade Speakers - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 04:43 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Upgrade Speakers

Is it possible to just upgrade the speakers in my CC (tweets, front door, rear door) and get better sound? If so, what do I need to look for as far as wattage, ohms, etc?

2011 CC SV 4X4 W/Utility Package

PERFORMANCE
Saikou Michi oil catch, Diff vent mod, Magnaflow Cat Back, Injen CAI intake, Bullydog GT Tuner, Trans Cooler Bypass, External Trans Cooler Fan.
INTERIOR/EXTERIOR
Weathertech Digital Floor Mats, Wet Okole Seat Covers, OEM Hood Deflector, LED Map/Dome Lights, GrillCraft upper and lower Mesh inserts, Pathfinder Door Switch Plates, Custom Tail Lights, De-badged tailgate, Bedlined grill and bumpers, Custom Utilitrack mounted spare tire holder.
AUDIO
Clarion CX501 HU, HAT I61-2 Components up front, HAT I8SW under rear seat, ARC Audio KS300.4 under passenger seat.
SUSPENSION
TJM Gold Series Coilovers W/HD Springs, TJM Gold Series 1-3'' Lift Rear Shocks, SPC UCA's and 2" AAL's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 06:13 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

You will get VERY opinionated answers with such questions.
Sound is subjective. What is nice to your ears is cacophony to another.

What are your goals?
What is your budget?

2010 Pro-4X KC in Radiant Silver
The modifications never end...........

San Diego Uprev
http://socalperformanceracing.com/
#3 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 06:31 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MESOGLEA View Post
You will get VERY opinionated answers with such questions.
Sound is subjective. What is nice to your ears is cacophony to another.

What are your goals?
What is your budget?
Just looking for cleaner sound and more volume without the distorted bass. Budget isn't really the issue but I want to keep the stock look so it doesn't tempt the thieves. I'm not in to the crazy bass high end systems anymore, I guess I could get a converter for the stock HU but for that price you might as well go with a HU.

PERFORMANCE
Saikou Michi oil catch, Diff vent mod, Magnaflow Cat Back, Injen CAI intake, Bullydog GT Tuner, Trans Cooler Bypass, External Trans Cooler Fan.
INTERIOR/EXTERIOR
Weathertech Digital Floor Mats, Wet Okole Seat Covers, OEM Hood Deflector, LED Map/Dome Lights, GrillCraft upper and lower Mesh inserts, Pathfinder Door Switch Plates, Custom Tail Lights, De-badged tailgate, Bedlined grill and bumpers, Custom Utilitrack mounted spare tire holder.
AUDIO
Clarion CX501 HU, HAT I61-2 Components up front, HAT I8SW under rear seat, ARC Audio KS300.4 under passenger seat.
SUSPENSION
TJM Gold Series Coilovers W/HD Springs, TJM Gold Series 1-3'' Lift Rear Shocks, SPC UCA's and 2" AAL's.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 07:06 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I bought the Clarion CX-501 from Sonic Electronix for less than $200 and I think it looks pretty darn stock. Clarion actually made the stock unit in my 2010 SE CC. I have Polk Audion DB 651 Shallow mounts in the front door and regular DB 651's in the rear doors. I left the stock tweeters in place. I have a 60 x 4 Pioneer amp powering all of that. I think it sounds great. I have a small 10" sub with only 150 watts going to it. Sounds good and its not enough bass so that you will be heard a block away.

Sound is subjective and you will get a thousand answers. What sounds good to you, may not sound good to me. Pretty much any upgraded speakers and head unit will sound better than the stock.

Just my .02 cents
#5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 07:39 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'd say that Merlin3e9's setup is actually a very well rounded setup that you would be happy with. I was actually going to recommend the same speakers he has. If i were you I'd start with those Polk speakers and a new HU, and go from there. You will be amazed at how much of a difference speakers a deck will do.

2007 KC NISMO-4X Auto Jan 2013 TOTM Desert Camping Truck Round 2
2005 KC SE Auto 4x2 Totaled, missed, loved Desert Camping Truck Round 1
Comprehensive DIY Audio Research/Install Guide
#6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 07:41 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin3e9 View Post
I bought the Clarion CX-501 from Sonic Electronix for less than $200 and I think it looks pretty darn stock. Clarion actually made the stock unit in my 2010 SE CC. I have Polk Audion DB 651 Shallow mounts in the front door and regular DB 651's in the rear doors. I left the stock tweeters in place. I have a 60 x 4 Pioneer amp powering all of that. I think it sounds great. I have a small 10" sub with only 150 watts going to it. Sounds good and its not enough bass so that you will be heard a block away.

Sound is subjective and you will get a thousand answers. What sounds good to you, may not sound good to me. Pretty much any upgraded speakers and head unit will sound better than the stock.

Just my .02 cents
Well, if I do go with a new HU and 4 channel amp, I would want a head unit with no cd player, just 3.5mm jack, iPOD, and usb. Also I would want to keep the function of my steering wheel controls and blue tooth. I know....I'm asking for a lot.

PERFORMANCE
INTERIOR/EXTERIOR
AUDIO
SUSPENSION
#7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 11:30 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Quote:

Just my .02 cents
I'm liking that Clarion.

PERFORMANCE
INTERIOR/EXTERIOR
AUDIO
SUSPENSION
#8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 08:42 AM
Shift_lurker

I just finished installing this JVC headunit.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Cuh2RGB...-KD-X50BT.html

It has no CD player, 2 USB inputs(front and back, 1 can be used for BT adapter that comes with HU), Aux input in front, compatible with steering wheel controls using one of the PAC adapters. The color of the unit can be adjusted to match the trucks dash pefectly. It comes with a mic for hands free calling AND it works with 2 phones for hands free. I sync my work iPhone and my personal Droid Charge with it over bluetooth. Oh and it's only $99 bucks.
#9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 09:44 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to dlettie9
i got all pioneer speakers from walmart.. I was in the same boat as you, i didnt really wanna spend a lot of money on a system. i have MAYBE 220 in everything. the two 6x9's for the front($70), two 6.5's($4 for the rear, and a head unit that was 90$. and i could not be happier with the sound.

#10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 04:41 PM
Mub
Shift_lurker

Quote:

Just my .02 cents
do you have any pics?

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > Audio / Video

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.