Sirius UCA-S Antenna Repair - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 02:01 AM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sirius UCA-S Antenna Repair

I took my Sirius radio out of my other vehicle and wanted to install it into the Frontier. It has a small antenna, about an inch and a half square. Sirius UCA-S.

In the process of moving it over I was wrapping up the extra antenna cord and twisting it around too much I guess. Anyways, when I went to power it up it said “NO ANTENNA”. Great. What happened there? I pressed down on the antenna and it started getting signal. So, somehow, it had broken inside. Well, since its broken anyways, I decided to take it apart to see if I could fix it.

First peel off the foil. You can see a couple of magnets that would hold it down if it was sitting on metal. Doesn’t help on the Frontier dash – I tie-wrapped it to the defroster vent.
Next remove the 4 screws and pull off the plastic cover. There’s a weather gasket there to help if its mounted outside.

Here’s what the top looks like under it.

Take out the 4 screws holding the PC Board (PCB) there too, and pull it off the aluminum housing. There’s a small dab of silicone on the antenna lead where its mounted to keep the weather out as well. Just pull it free.

Turn it over and here’s what it looks like. It’s a bad photo – my camera sucks.

You can see the PCB and the two solder joints where the coax is connected. Its just like house coax only smaller. There’s an outer covering, the braided part and the inner solid wire. The braid is also soldered to an outer rim of the PCB. The solid inner wire on mine had broken free from the solder pad where it was connected to the PCB, due to pushing and twisting. Just a dab of flux and hit it with a solder gun and it was fixed. So easy. Reassemble. Worked fine again. These little guys look pretty rugged otherwise.

Hope this helps someone else who gets the same Sirius message on their receiver.
Oh, and be gentle with the excess coax wrapping and don’t twist it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sat2.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	40426   Click image for larger version

Name:	sat5.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	40429   Click image for larger version

Name:	sat6.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	40430   Click image for larger version

Name:	sat8.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	40431   Click image for larger version

Name:	sat9.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	40432  

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > Audio / Video

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.