Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Rockford Fosgate Q

8K views 36 replies 19 participants last post by  mdsjohna 
#1 ·
For those that have the RF audio set-up in your CC truck (especially with the new head unit) does it really "Rock" or is it mediocre at best. Getting to try one out to my liking or volume level with my wife along will be near impossible due to her hearing conditions. Again trying to gather as much info before shopping the lots as I can. Thanks! ::smile::

#2 ·
I have the RF 10 speaker / subwoofer set up in my 2014 Fronty CC, and I'm very pleased with it. I was just rocking to NIN this afternoon. It was actually funny to be pulled up next to someone at red light with my windows tinted, and have them looking over at me. I don't have any of the crackling or popping you get with the speakers. IMO the RF is the way to go.

#4 ·
For a factory system it is pretty nice, one of the better systems I've heard in cars costing less than $80k. That said you can best it pretty easily by going aftermarket. If you're already looking at a PRO-4X or SL it's the standard radio so you'll get plenty of time to decide. If the radio is the only thing swaying you to go above the SV then it's not worth it. $4k will buy you one hell of an aftermarket system.

#5 ·
Definitely one of the best stock truck systems out there. Blows the doors off the Bose system in the wife's Grand Cherokee Overland.
If you wanna try it out let the salesman know and he will be happy to hop out and let you crank it up. I certainly did before I bought my first RF equipped fronty

#7 ·
I agree as well. Does the job for me.

#9 ·
I have the RF in my 13 and being an old car audio guy from way back it sounds pretty solid for a factory system, with the right adjustments it hits pretty hard throughout the range (I listen to anything from Mozart to Metallica)
so I test it daily...LOL

#11 ·
In my test drive the system seemed a bit muddy to me. The highs were not very bright & the trebble was at max. I also think your right there is no separate control for the subwoofer, which sucks. More experimenting is in order on my next test drive.

#12 ·
Simply upgrading the head unit to something with a 4v pre-out makes a big difference in the performance of the stock setup. I've added a ton of Dynamat and a Pioneer head unit and it's drastically better than it was. I have no plans to replace the RF amp or any of the speakers.

#19 ·
Does the Pioneer unit work with the backup camera on the newer models?

#16 ·
Aftermarket FTMFW.
Factory systems have come a long, long way since I started driving (over 30 years ago).
That being said, it all depends on what you need and want in a stereo in your ride.
IMO, only after market stuff can provide the ultimate experience if you really want to have everything perfect to your ears (and eyes these days).

#18 ·
My 2 cents

I agree that the RF is a better oem system then most , but I also found the sound a little muddy as well. I have had 3 pro4x's, 09',14',15, the 09' I owned and installed a Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty 2. processor and RF 400w 4/channel amp behind rear seats. The 3sixty allows you to keep functionally of oem head unit, just adds 153 bands of equalization for a better adjustment of highs & lows for your liking. The sound was very clean with no damage to stock 2ohm speakers after 5 years. The 14',15' are leases so cost to r&r this setup are to costly, but I due miss the sound quality of the RF processor. Again just my 2 cents

#20 ·
I agree that the RF is a better oem system then most , but I also found the sound a little muddy as well. I have had 3 pro4x's, 09',14',15, the 09' I owned and installed a Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty 2. processor and RF 400w 4/channel amp behind rear seats. The 3sixty allows you to keep functionally of oem head unit, just adds 153 bands of equalization for a better adjustment of highs & lows for your liking. The sound was very clean with no damage to stock 2ohm speakers after 5 years. The 14',15' are leases so cost to r&r this setup are to costly, but I due miss the sound quality of the RF processor. Again just my 2 cents
That looks pretty cool, it's now a Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty .3 Kinda of expensive but looks like it would make a huge difference. How to integrate it? looks like it would be hard to me.

#21 ·
I spent some time on the Outlander, replace the factory paper speakers with TR Evolutions, had the head unit replaced, 700W @ 2ohm mono block and twin 10in 250W RMS subs. When i put in the door speakers I matted them up... and now I have been eyeballing 8in 500W subs due to needing room for a stroller etc.

Does the Rockford system in the Frontier compare... not at all, but it keeps me sufficiently happy that I don't feel like I need to do the same work to the truck. Atleast not while the Outlander continues to be my DD. If I was driving the truck daily things might change.

#22 ·
Does the Rockford system in the Frontier compare... not at all, but it keeps me sufficiently happy that I don't feel like I need to do the same work to the truck. Atleast not while the Outlander continues to be my DD. If I was driving the truck daily things might change.
That pretty much sums up my opinion of the RF system. Gets the job done for a daily driver for a non Audiophile like myself.

#25 ·
I wonder if putting in better tweeters would brighten it up? For anyone who old enough to remember Pioneer made what was called tune-up speakers (TS-M4 I think) they rocked! I wish they made them now.

#26 ·
I would think just swapping to a better headunit would brighten it up plenty, the stock headunit is okay, but it lacks a lot of adjustments...

#28 ·
I put tweets in the A pillar between the handle and the dash and they sound pretty good. Even on the stock HU an upgraded set of components will make a big difference.

#29 ·
I'm in the minority but I actually like the sound of speakers bouncing off the windshield. I've got a CDT system with what they call imaging tweeters. It has a 2" wide band tweeter mounted in the stock location with a 1.1" tweeter mounted in the upper corners of the windshield. It gives a fantastic soundstage without processing. It's not as good as the system I put in my dads 68 Chevelle but at about $2500 it's also 1/4th the price.

#30 ·
for me,the dash tweets were drowning out the bass from the front door speakers on songs that didnt have a lot of bass such as some rock.bunch of screaming got on my nerves quick but then again i listen to loud music hence why i did a custom component set with 6x9's in the frontier and tweeters mounted in the door right above them facing up.everyone has different tastes though.and i have some really good bass from those custom idx 69's.feel it on my pants leg with the xover cut on 12

#33 ·
I've learned to choose silk tweets over metallic ones. Far less fatigue at higher volumes and they offer the kinds of detail & delicate nuances I enjoy/prefer.
.02 & YMMV

#34 ·
Years ago I had some really great Eclipse components with silk dome tweeters but I got the "upgrade" bug and replaced them with MB Quarts that had titanium tweeters... I still think the $250 dollar Eclipses sounded more true than the $600 dollar Quarts, I started to learn that more expensive doesn't always mean better.

#36 ·
I replaced my stock head unit with a Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS CD/ MP3/ Bluetooth unit and it made a world of difference. Sounds great and I can stream my music to it from my phone and talk on my phone via Bluetooth. Easy to swap out. I use the stock speakers and the RF subwoofer.

HUGE difference!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.