Nissan Frontier Forum banner

New Stereo Deck; With Questions!

5K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Honey Badger 
#1 · (Edited)
Recently completed the install on my new DD Stereo from Crutchfield

Sony WX-GT90BT CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Here is a before:

And After:

My dilemma is how do I handle the stock driver upgrade? I was considering using a set of coaxial 2 way 6x9 speaker in the front as well as a round coaxial set in the rear. I just feel like the the highs aren't going to make it past my leg as well as i would want so, i thought i should go with a component setup in front. I noticed that there is an unused tweeter grille on both sides of my dash. Pictured Below:

Do any of you fine people have any experience with whats behind that grille? Can i mount anything there or do i need to custom mount a tweeter? Are there mounting points for a tweeter? Should i go coaxial or component?

What are your thoughts? ::smile::

2007 Nissan Frontier NISMO Offroad King Cab

Sorry for the huge images, I need to work on my compression...

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
After my thread was moved to the correct section i found all of the answers i needed. Next time ill do a little more digging.

Thanks!

Agreed. Components all the way.

Nice DD tho! looks like a good fit and clean install.
Thanks! Ill definitely do a component system not that i have figured out how to access the tweeter bays on my dash. The install for the DD was surprisingly easy and Crutchfield gave me the dash kit, trim kit and harness so everything was a breeze.

#5 ·
The grills on the tweeter bays just pop up. You can do it with your fingernails, but a panel puller would be easier. I've popped mine off before. You can either feed the wire down from the top or up from the bottom. I haven't done it before, but I imagine feeding it down would be easier.

#8 · (Edited)
Yeah i popped them off, i hadn't figured that out at the time of reading this thread.

Now im just deciding how hard its gonna be to run the wires down to the door and where to put the crossover.

Having recently f'd with my dash tweets it's not that difficult to feed wires up to them but would still be easier to feed from top down.
Is there a method you would recommend that would make the feed easier? I cant see running the wire down to the door through that little tube being easy...

#9 ·
I was originally going to run them off of the stock tweeter wiring. Once I figured out how much of a PITA it was going to be to make sure everything worked properly I decided to run another amp for the separates. Still needs some work but like everything else it's a work in progress.
But yes, the new tweets are mounted in the A pillars.

#13 ·
I'd pass altogether with the rear speakers in a king cab. Do you really need two extra speakers in such a small cabin anyways? To give you an idea my sound system consists of 5" component speakers (Silver flute) in the front doors, 1" tweeters (Vifa) in the stock location and a custom built 10" stealth subwoofer box. The system sounds great and it's very stealthy besides the aftermarket deck and the stealth box. Would you like pics?

#15 ·
I'd pass altogether with the rear speakers in a king cab. Do you really need two extra speakers in such a small cabin anyways?
The Crew Cab is not really that much bigger than the King Cab. It's not even a foot longer so I'm guessing the CC only adds about 10 cubic feet more than the KC.

So speakers in the rear doors of either would be just as useful/worthwhile. IMHO.

#16 ·
Unless you regularly have people in the back of your truck I wouldn't even upgrade the speakers, it only adds more problems to a good soundstage. The Sony deck I have allows me to crossover the rear speakers fairly low to only handle the mid bass frequencies. The lower freqs are less prone to imaging.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.