LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Installing OEM bluetooth head unit

Howdy, so heres the deal. I'm an avid aux input fan, but my new 2012 frontier is the sv model and doesn't have the optional better head unit/ audio features. I want to convert it over to the upgraded unit, bluetooth and all and would like some expert advice from anyone whos done so already. I know that I'll need the head unit and face plate, I'll also need the aux input cover that goes directly over the cigarette lighter, and the steering wheel controls ( New wheel or just that one section?). What am I missing to make this happen, and are the speakers any different with the premium audio, or are there just tweeter add ons or something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I havent seen any threads like this posted but if I missed it well ****, sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 04:09 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I also have a SV with base stereo. I got tired of using a FM transmitter to listen to my IPOD. I didn't really care about having BT capability. However, you are going to pay a lot of money for OEM and will get little capability.
http://www.courtesyparts.com/kb_search_result.php?keywords=[28185]+\(d40&cPath=4888_4889_4924_4946

My suggestion? Swing over to Crutchfield or something like that and get yourself a BT capable headunit with NAV, DVD, and IPOD capability. You can have a premium H/U for the price of an OE unit. Aftermarket is really easy to install on a truck with the base sound system. There is no amp to worry about. All told, it took me about 2 hours (splicing/soldering the wires took the longest) to remove the OE unit and install my JVC. It was well worth it.

R. Long
2011 SV KC 4WD
"The first time you forget to turn off the VDC before the stink, will also be the last time you forget to turn off your VDC before the stink."

Last edited by RikRong; 06-16-2012 at 04:12 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

My one issue with going aftermarket is that over the years I've realized that if it ain't oem it's droppin your value. On the other hand oem upgrades bring your value up. Plus any genuine Nissan part will qualify for my 60,000 mile bumper to bumper warrenty, so I much rather go that route.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 10:52 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

The minute you drove your vehicle off the lot, it depreciated to a point that's not going to be recovered by installing the BT unit. Installing an aftermarket radio, especially if it's done by a reputable installer, is not going to hurt the value, and even it does, it's going to be marginal. It's not like you're hacking up the truck and adding a huge, custom lift kit. You can't base things off KBB, people rarely get those prices and the dealer is going to give you even less than that. If you are worried, keep the OEM radio and re-install it when you get rid of the truck.

As for warranty, aftermarket units also have a warranty. If you replace the OEM radio with aftermarket, it's not going to void your entire warranty, just the warranty that applies to "Genuine Nissan accessories", specifically the radio in this case. The Nissan warranty won't apply if you get the RF unit and install it yourself, anyway.

I'm sorry, I can't tell you how to install the upgraded audio, I'm sure there's someone that has added BT and AUX to a standard unit. Hopefully, they will find this thread and help out.

R. Long
2011 SV KC 4WD
"The first time you forget to turn off the VDC before the stink, will also be the last time you forget to turn off your VDC before the stink."
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

I'm going to have to disagree with you 100%. I'm completely aware that kbb, nada, and black book only give you a very rough estimate of value. Thats in fact my entire argument, the reality of the situation is that appearence is everything. And when a vehical appears completely untouched then people feel no need to worry. It doesn't matter if an aftermarket headunit can do x, y, and z while the oem one only does x. It doesn't even matter if the aftermarket one is worth considerably more money. All that matters is the perception of it being untouched and therefore there is no unknown.

As for the warranty issue, there is simply no single standalone warranty I've ever heard of to rivel 6 year, 60k mile. So no, the warranty doesn't stand up either.

So in summary, I do agree that by itself changing the headunit drops little value, but it can have a profound effect on the overall image and therefore the value of the vehical. Plus insurance will not value an aftermarket unit, but will an oem one.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 11:28 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

I've had aftermarket stereos stolen, and then replaced by insurance, not a valid argument. The premium unit was not installed when you bought the truck, so the "appearance" is gone the minute the next buyer sees the options list for your truck. If you want something that will hold its value, you should have purchased gold bullion, not a vehicle.

Sounds like you need to take your brand new truck back, before it's past its 30 day return window, and get one with a premium unit.

Oh, if you read the warranty, it is only good from the date of install of the accessory, up to 12,000 miles or for the remainder of the 60,000 miles, whichever is greater. So, your warranty argument doesn't stand up either. Either way, you're going to take a hit. To keep the warranty, you're going to have to get everything installed at the dealer. That'll probably be to the tune of $2K+, or you take the hit for a few hundred dollars because of the "appearance" of the truck being tampered with because you installed an aftermarket HU. It does seem like you have your mind made up. So, just take the truck down and tell the Nissan dealership you want the premium unit installed, and they should be able to get everything you need.

R. Long
2011 SV KC 4WD
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

I've still gotta disagree on the appearance thing but lets just agree to disagree on that one.

As for the warranty, just dug in a little and yup, your right. Installed at the dealer would qualify and stock one covered. BUT, 12000 or remainder of the 60k otherwise. So I concede that point
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 12:09 AM
Shift_Newbie

I just sold my 2010 Altima to the dealer with after market HD 6 1/2 inch touch screen after market Blue Tooth and GPS the car came stock with some lamo basic HD , these mods incresed the value of the trade in by 1K.

To spend any amount of $$ to install OEM BT and Steering Controls would take a lot of work/labor and to me have less quality than a after market touch screen could have/add.

On my new 2012 KC I installed Sat. Radio in dash on the stock head unit to keep te factory controls and BT ,but only becouse it was already there ,if it wasent OEM I would be shopping at crutchfield right now.

Warrenty is not even worth the talk here for a radio.

So Ca.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 12:26 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

As a vehicle owner, I can say I see NO negative downsides to someone installing an aftermarket head unit, especially if its done correctly(which if Im going to buy the vehicle I will make sure its installed correctly and wont spark one day and burn me up).

I see an aftermarket head unit that is tastefully done(everyones opinion is different) such as one that has Nav, DVD, CD, BT, and satellite radio that is installed correctly as a benefit to owning the vehicle as I WONT have to ever upgrade it, you essentially get more for your money, plus you as the owner got to take advantage of having a kick *** head unit during your ownership. This is not on the same level as installing a lift as stated already, its a head unit(get it installed correctly by a reputable shop and keep the papers since you're already planning on selling to prove its a legitimate SAFE install).

2011 CC Auto. Pro-4X

Last edited by feyded; 06-19-2012 at 12:28 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 10:23 AM
Shift_Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankandcam View Post
Howdy, so heres the deal. I'm an avid aux input fan, but my new 2012 frontier is the sv model and doesn't have the optional better head unit/ audio features. I want to convert it over to the upgraded unit, bluetooth and all and would like some expert advice from anyone whos done so already. I know that I'll need the head unit and face plate, I'll also need the aux input cover that goes directly over the cigarette lighter, and the steering wheel controls ( New wheel or just that one section?). What am I missing to make this happen, and are the speakers any different with the premium audio, or are there just tweeter add ons or something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I havent seen any threads like this posted but if I missed it well ****, sorry.
You better get ready to change the entire radio harness as well because they are not the same and it is not a simple plug and play. Take a look at your unit:

07-010 Nissan Titan Xterra Pathfinder Frontier Radio Cd Player 28185-9FD5A | eBay

This is the upgraded 6 disc unit like I have in my SV (internally amplified):

NISSAN 6 CD DISC MP3 CHANGER RADIO STEREO PATHFINDER XTERRA FRONTIER TITAN AUX! | eBay

and the 6 disc Fosgate unit (externally amplified):

05 07 Nissan ROCKFORD FOSGATE MP3 6 CD Radio Xterra Frontier Pathfinder 1/05 | eBay

The aftermarket makes much more sense in your situation. The car I traded in on my truck had an extra $800 added to it because of the Pioneer Nav with Bluetooth headunit I had in it.

2014 Mustang GT 6spd manual
Bama 93R tune, AEM intake
12.80 @ 113.71 no traction

Sold! 2011 KC SV 4X4, 6spd and utility package
Tuff Tonno cover, Leonard hitch, Hypertech 93 octane tune, Kool Vue intake, TB bypass, OEM side steps, OEM fog lights, OEM skids, Pioneer speakers

2012 Rogue all stock

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > Audio / Video

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.