Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Installed new head unit in 2014

12K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  jonbth 
#1 ·
I just finished installing an Alpine INE967HD Navigation head unit in my 2014.

I am very happy with the results. Installation was easy thanks to rlowery78 thread. I wouldn't have done it if I couldn't keep my steering wheel controls or rear view camera.

My steering wheel controls work great except the call and hang up buttons. I haven't done the Bluetooth re-pin yet.

The back up camera works great. The picture is better than stock and my head unit has adjustable distance lines.

The sound is great even with factory speakers. The extra power really makes them sound better along with the added adjustability. No hurry to upgrade those yet.

The metra dash kit is ok. The fit isn't perfect and I need to shim it a little for a better fit. The most difficult part is wire management behind the radio.

It was definately worth it and I am so happy with the results.

Thanks again to rlowery78 and all the people here with their help.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Did it work with the factory backup camera or did you have to get an aftermarket one? What about the factory usb connector in the arm console and the Bluetooth mic? Were you able to use the factory ones or did you have to use aftermarket?

#4 · (Edited)
It works with the factory back up camera.

The usb in the console works like it should.

I'm not using the factory Bluetooth mic. I'm using the phone controls built into the headunit. My phone calls sound a lot better now.

While it seems counter intuitive to many, it really is BEST to start w/ a new HeadUnit for truck/car stereo enhancement. This is the source of the signal(s)...and the in-unit amp in (most) factory/OEM HUs is not up to snuff.
You are correct. I'm still using my factory speakers and listening to them you would think they are a lot better than they are with a more powerful headunit.

#5 ·
Was some type of adapter required to get the usb drive in the console to plug into the head unit?

Also, how long is the boot time from power on? Crutchfield site claims 5.5 seconds, but sometimes user reviews claim much longer boot times than stated.

#7 ·
The adapter is a Metra AX-NISUSB-2. It plugs into the factory harness and has a usb plug on the other end.

The boot time is about 6 seconds. The backup camera will come on even if the unit is booting up when put in reverse.

#6 ·
That Alpine head unit looks beautiful... I ordered a Kenwood Excelon 893s which is supposed to be here today, UPS-willing. I hadn't seen the Alpine model. The interface looks nice. I was just overly focused on a unit that would do both Apple CarPlay and the Android equivalent (if I feel like swapping some day).

I've learned my personal lesson though. I don't "do" car electronics, so I'm having Crutchfield put it in themselves on Tuesday. Better that than me blowing up my car's circuitry again like I did in 1981.. :)

It'll be interesting since I made the mistake of putting in JBLs before replacing my factory head unit..

Wayne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.