Found Exact Dimensions for MTX Thunderform CC Sub Box - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 01:21 AM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Found Exact Dimensions for MTX Thunderform CC Sub Box

I called MTX today and they emailed me a PDF file of the exact dimensions for the new Thunderform box. I am thinking of buying this box and want to upgrade the MTX woofer. Looks like a true mounting depth of 4 7/8'' with a tapered bottom. What do you think is my best option? Right now I'm contemplating Rockford Fosgate P3SD410 vs. JL Audio 10w1v2. I know the RF would fit (3.5'' mounting depth), and I'm fairly sure the 10w would fit as well (4.34'' mounting depth), but don't know how much magnet clearance the JL needs. I want sound quality over bass, but I have a PPI Precision Power 300w amp that would take advantage of the RF's 300 watts vs JL Audio 150 watts.

Do you think I'm splitting hairs here? Price is not a concern. Any other recommendations would be much appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NFTRC05 DIM.pdf (478.3 KB, 295 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 03:01 AM
Shift_Fanatic

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BigMikeLV
all I see is dimensions for the speaker? Where are the dimensions foir the box? i dont see why they would just hand those out.

2008 Scion xB, Stingray Metallic
gone: 06 Frontier CC LE 2WD

#3 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 08:19 AM
Shift_lurker

I think your looking at it wrong. The "dotted" lines are the box walls with the speaker sitting in it. If you look closer at the dimensions, they measure the distance between the "dotted" lines (i.e. the speakers mounting depth is 4 5/8, but the true mounting depth of the box is 4 7/. The 4 7/8 mounting depth is deceiving because you need to take into account the tapering at the bottom of the box which can be a problem if the speaker magnet is too large.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 11:58 AM
Shift_Fanatic

What is shows is clearance dimensions... Thats it. They gave you that so that you could find a suitable Speaker that would fit. They sell the box without the speaker so they have to tell you the clearance dimensions so you can buy a speaker that fits.

If you read the heading for that image it says "MAXIMUM ENCLOSURE MOUNTING SPECIFICATIONS" Which means that those are the limits that you have to fit a speaker. i have the Thunderform box in my truck now and I can tell you that the box is not shaped like that. i even took out the MTX sub to see what the internal box looked like. Its filled with polyfil and its not as simple of a design as you think.

here is what it looks like.
2005+ CC Sub boxes Pics only
and
2005+ CC Sub boxes Pics only

#5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 03:09 PM
Shift_lurker

What I really care about is the clearance dimensions. I figured most people looking at this box will be interested in these dimensions if they want to upgrade the supplied MTX 4500 series speaker. I understand what you are saying though. Does anyone have any recommendations for a replacement speaker taking into account the stated clearance dimensions?
#6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 04:12 PM
Shift_Fanatic

any of the new shallow mount speakers. and if you plan on doing this... just dont get the amplified box and replace the speaker! The amplifier pushs out 200 watts at .35 ohms. The supplied MTX 4500 sub is a .35 ohm sub.

#7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 04:23 PM
Shift_Obsessed

What is the cost of the box alone?

2005 Frontier CC Nismo 4x4
Exterior: 20% tint, ARE Topper
Performance: NISMO CAI
Suspension: Radflo 2" front, Bils5125 rear with Calmini 1.5" Shackles, Deaver AAL, 285/75 GY Duratrac
Electronics: skipped the HU, audio in to Alpine ERE G180 Equalizer, JL A4300, Alpine MRP 350, Infinity Kappa 60.7cs and 62.7i, JL Stealthbox
#8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 04:33 PM
Shift_Fanatic

$235 I believe plus shipping.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > Audio / Video

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.