down fire vs. standard sub boxes? - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 11:14 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
down fire vs. standard sub boxes?

hey guys, ive been wondering what the difference of the two well besides the fact that one fires down and one fires up thanks!

2007 CC SB SE
Bully Dog Triple GT
Airaid Quickfit, Soon to be Volant Intake
DT Long Tube Headers, 2.25" B Pipes, Full 2.5" Exhaust
2" Front Spacer, 1" Rear Block
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 1,847 Times in 1,221 Posts
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Technically since low end bass is not directional up-fire vs. down-fire (or rear-fire vs. front-fire) should make no difference in overall sound quality.

I personally like down-fire enclosures because it keeps the cone out of harms way better.

Report a bad/flaming/illegal post by clicking on or
The Following User Says Thank You to ToddG For This Useful Post:
TheOregonFront (04-21-2010)
#3 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 02:33 PM
Shift_Obsessed

thank ya todd, i think im gunna get the downfire box cuz yes i agree it would be better for protection.

2007 CC SB SE
Bully Dog Triple GT
#4 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 02:57 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOregonFront View Post
thank ya todd, i think im gunna get the downfire box cuz yes i agree it would be better for protection.
as long as you keep junk from getting down there. speaker grilles can offer protection no matter which direction you fire the sub.
The Following User Says Thank You to ScottXGTR For This Useful Post:
ToddG (04-21-2010)
#5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 03:57 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Downfire or firing the sub away from you will reduce some of the rattling, chatter-ish noise you hear when a subwoofer is hitting, usually at higher volumes. It may make the sub sound more dull with less range, but can clean up the sound a bit.

Have you ever cranked up the volume and put your ear next to the sub? You can hear rattles, distortion and other noises coming from the sub itself. This is not noticeable if you are sitting far away from your sub (ie: sub in the back of an SUV), but if you have the sub facing you in a small cabin 2ft away from your ears (ie: a king cab truck), it will be easier to hear these sounds. Firing the sub upwards or out into the cabin tends to move more cabin air and may feel like a stronger hit/pound...it can also make the bass more crisp sounding....but again, you may hear the unpleasant sounds that the sub is producing.

My suggestion is to just get a basic box that fits, and move it around in the cabin, facing it in different directions until you get the sound you want. I've tried out 3 different box set-ups for my current sub, in every possible direction in the back of my king cab truck ported/vented and sealed. I probably went through 3 or 4 different boxes for my previous subs that I had in this truck. Every sub/box combo will sound slightly different. Also, ported vs. sealed can make a huge difference in sound. For example, when my sub was in a sealed box, I prefer it facing the back of the seat....in the ported box, I prefer it facing out into the open/upwards because it soundsfeels much more powerful when its moving all that air.

---2008 SuperBlack SE 4x2 Autotragic---

Last edited by blackout08; 04-21-2010 at 04:13 PM.
#6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout08 View Post
Downfire or firing the sub away from you will reduce some of the rattling, chatter-ish noise you hear when a subwoofer is hitting, usually at higher volumes. It may make the sub sound more dull with less range, but can clean up the sound a bit... it can reduce rattles to some degree that are produced from the sub flapping.

Have you ever cranked up the volume and put your ear a foot away from the sub? You can hear rattles, distortion and other noises coming from the sub itself. This is not noticeable if you are sitting far away from your sub (ie: sub in the back of an SUV), but if you have the sub facing you in a small cabin 2ft away from your ears (ie: a king cab truck), it will be easier to hear these sounds. Firing the sub upwards or out into the cabin tends to move more cabin air and may feel like a stronger hit/pound...it can also make the bass more crisp sounding.

My suggestion is to just get a basic box that fits, and move it around in the cabin, facing it in different directions until you get the sound you want. I've tried out 3 different box set-ups for my current sub, in every possible direction in the back of my king cab truck. I probably went through 3 or 4 different boxes for my previous subs that I had in this truck. Every sub/box combo will sound slightly different. Then there is the whole debate between ported and sealed.
well since my 07 is a cc i dont have much room so its just a down fire or up fire under the seat. i just want a good clean crisp bass sound with the subs.

2007 CC SB SE
Bully Dog Triple GT
#7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 04:15 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
By putting it under the seat, it wont make too much of a difference. It will already be muffling the sound to some degree. I'd probably fire it down.

---2008 SuperBlack SE 4x2 Autotragic---

Last edited by blackout08; 04-21-2010 at 04:22 PM.
#8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 05:14 PM
Shift_Hardcore

i have an '07 cc as well. i have a single 10" kicker down firing in a custom box under my rear seat (still have the compartment under the rear driver side). the bass is crisp, and can shake the truck if i really feel like turning it up.

2007 SE CC in Radiant Silver. 2" PRG Spacer front/Deaver rear, 2" AC BL, 285/75 r16 Yokohama A/T S, Westin Stainless Steel Bull Bar, Stainless Steel side steps, Kenwood HU with Direct Sirius, JBL 6x9's, JBL 6.5's, Kicker 10" CVT in custom box, Kicker ZX 300.2 amplifier, Bully Dog GT, Magnaflow exhaust, Lund Avenger bug shield, polished billet grille, SilverStar Ultra SU's, OEM Fog Light Kit, Weathertech Vent Visors, Philips Daylight LEDs custom mounted in grille, dark tint all around.
#9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 08:21 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
u could fire foward like i am doing. i bought the subs and found out i didnt have enough room to fire up or down so i am gonna face them foward and got to figure something out for a grill to cover them

Frontier Crew Cab 07 Le Long Bed
Interior: Garmin Docking System,pioneer avh4100dvd, Sundown SAE1200, 3- SA8'S under back seat, MB Quart 4125, Alpine type r6.5 front and back
Performance:Superchips Cortex, & Volant CAI
Exterior: UWS Tool Box Black, Shrockworks Gas Skid & Oil Pan Skid, 3" ADF spacer, 3" AAL, 285/70/17 nitto terra grapplers

then more mods soon to come!!!!!
Current Projects: 2" Body Lift, and Xoskel Bumper Mouth Bracket
Got to love club frontier
#10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 1,847 Times in 1,221 Posts
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout08 View Post
By putting it under the seat, it wont make too much of a difference. It will already be muffling the sound to some degree. I'd probably fire it down.
Well, I have to disagree here.
You can not "muffle" sound that is not directional in the first place such as low end bass unless you are impeding the cone excursion.
Ported, I'd go along with the idea of the port being compromised by blocking it's output pressure.
A sealed enclosure not so much.

That being said, when my truck is sealed, all windows up and the sunroof closed, the bass sounds quite a bit different than if one/all of those is/are open.

Now, block the mids or highs and I'd go along with the statement of "muffling" sound.

Report a bad/flaming/illegal post by clicking on or

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > Audio / Video

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.