Batteries - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 01:27 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Batteries

Okay, the battery on my Fronty is going bad on me. It's the stocker, and since it has been in there since I bought it (1-5-05), I'd say at this point I'm damn lucky to have got 3.10yrs out of it.

So I am looking at batteries.

The Odyssey seems to best fit my needs, but I must admit, I really don't know much at all about batteries.

Heard many scary things about Optima, but if I looked hard enough, I suppose I could find scary things about any manufacturer.

A friend led me to the Odyssey here- Odyssey PC1400 Group 35 Battery - 35-PC1400

Anyone know stuff about them?

2005 Frontier CC SE, PRG 2" Front Spacers, AC AAL 3" Rear Springs, Rancho RS5000 Shocks, 265/75R16 Dean Mud Terrain, ARE Cap, Yakima Racks (Cab and Canopy), KMA Multicarrier, AT Fuel Can Carrier, Scepter Fuel Can, Scepter Donkey Dick, 48" Hi-Lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 08:49 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Any reason that you're looking at a high end battery? Unless you need something special out of it, like you're supporting a large audio system, just a basic battery from Walmart or autozone or the like will do just fine for around $50.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.
#3 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 09:40 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to STREAKIN20
lol. dont use an autozone or walmart battery! their freakin junk. also your battery group is a 24f not a 35. the 35 is a smaller battery and wont supply your truck enough juice. use an interstate or a delco battery. they have a good name plus they are every where incase it dies on ya if your outta town. but for the love of god dont use an autozone or walmart battery.

interstate = $90 or so

delco = $60 or so

i worked in parts stores from in high school till 20 or so and if i had a dollar for all of the horrer stories i.ve heard out of them.

good luck
#4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

I'm offroad quite a bit, run a lot of electronics, there's a winch in my future, and want to put off a dual-battery setup for as long as possible.

2005 Frontier CC SE, PRG 2" Front Spacers, AC AAL 3" Rear Springs, Rancho RS5000 Shocks, 265/75R16 Dean Mud Terrain, ARE Cap, Yakima Racks (Cab and Canopy), KMA Multicarrier, AT Fuel Can Carrier, Scepter Fuel Can, Scepter Donkey Dick, 48" Hi-Lift.
#5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

i ---HAD--- a 96 toyonka with a full meal deal with more or less what you've done. i had 8 beams, winch, jams, on board compressor and g.p.s. i used a group 24 and was just fine. the thing is normally you dont have every thing on at once as well. correct size wire and good grounds make a big diff too.
#6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by STREAKIN20 View Post
i worked in parts stores from in high school till 20 or so and if i had a dollar for all of the horrer stories i.ve heard out of them.
Which brand are you speaking to?

And for '05+ Frontys and X's, it's group 24f?

#7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 11:04 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

yeah its a 24f. 05-c pathy, fronty, max, non tow pkg 04-armada/titan and xterra are 24f. that is a really common battery for the mordern era nissan fleet.

i was refering to the walmart/autozone batteries being junk.

also, clean your + terminal really well. nissan + terminals are noterious for massive corosion (sp) problems. you can get that part from the dealer for $7-8. thats the only place "in town" you'll find them. they might be on the web but the frieght might out do your savings.

when you install the terminals protective spray or washers are a plus as well.

good luck bro

p.s. i wish i had your camper shell. i have always had one and i sold my tahoe to get my fronty and i feel naked with out some form of cargo cover. plus my dog is gonna freeze her a$$ off during duck season.

Last edited by STREAKIN20; 10-04-2008 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
#8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 02:23 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
There isn't a whole lot [I]to[I]know about batteries unless your trying to squeeze every last bit of efficiency out of them. (i.e Optima, which I agree, have a iffy track record.) Basicly, you look for the biggest physical size that will fit your vehicle (which may/may not be factory size), then compare the cranking amp and reserve figures. FWIW, I've found the WalMart EverStart MAX to give huge bang for the buck. $75 gets you 9 year warrenty+big cranking amp and reserve #'s for their size. I'm running three of them and have yet to have a problem.

07 Frontier LE, 4x4, Crew Cab, Short Bed, Avalanche White.
Mods: Access Lorado Tonneau, Raamat sound deadener, Custom Audio (JVC KW-XR810, XM, Ipod, Pioneer D702P, CDT HD-62, Infinity Ref, Alpine PDX4.100, Profile AP400 & PioneerTS-SW841D (front seat sub) Remote Start, Yakathule Racks, OEM All Season Mats, Coverking Neosupreme seat covers, Silverstar Ultra Headlights,fog light overide. LED Back-ups, 13" Rubber Antenna, EZDown Gate Dampener, Light Buster hitch light, modified tiedowns, waterproof bedlight.
The Following User Says Thank You to WeeHooker For This Useful Post:
OkieScot (10-07-2009)
#9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 07:15 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Well, I ended up with the Die Hard Platinum Series 34, and a few mods to make it fit.

#10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 07:28 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Sly Tuna
Consider hourself real lucky bro... I only got 1.75 years out of mine. here in the desert they dont last long. Im only running a sound system off myne....

2013 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X KC. 6spd. White
2011 Frontier S. KC. 5spd. White.
Tinted Windows, Bed Liner, 1-1/4" Wheels Spacers, Bully Dog-Triple Dog GT with blend mount.
1978 Datsun 620 Pickup, KC, Orange, l20, SSS SU carbs, ZX 5spd.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > Audio / Video

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.