Nissan Frontier Forum banner

What parts do i need for hitch wiring?

3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Blue Devil 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!

I bought me a truck this last weekend, and the dealer wanted $450 for a tow package.

I thought that a bit high so I've done some research and I have just a few doubts.

It looks like mounting a hitch is super easy. The wiring also looks easy but I'm a bit unsure what parts I need and all my forum searches end up with a forum where someone is missing something under the dash or a relay.

I see two kits for wiring a 7 pin plug to a frontier. One is just the plug, and one is the under dash wiring. I THINK I have the under-dash stuff, but I want another opinion.

Here's the two I found:
OR

Please see the pictures and let me know what you think I need.
Truck Towing stuff - Album on Imgur

I'm going to buy the hitch, the 7way plug, and a mounting plate for the plug.
If I can save $35 on the wiring, I'm buying mechanix gloves too :nerd:

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
I think I might have already read that one. My real question is that I already have a brown plug and blue box under my dash. I couldn't find anyone saying that the underdash was pre-installed, but that's kinda what it looks like for me.

Here's the best picture from the album to show what I mean: http://i.imgur.com/d8JSxGb.png

Is it possible I have all the wiring I need and just need the 7 way plug?

#4 ·
If you read that thread, you may want to revisit it. The mentioned wiring plugs into the harness located behind the passenger kick panel. Nothing about any under dash wiring is mentioned. Please don't order anything, until you have a full understanding of what it is you need, or take it to the dealer, for parts and install.

#5 ·
So instead of under dash I should have said kick panel, that's my bad.

If you look at the image album, all of those pictures are from the kick panel EXCEPT the brake connector, it truly is under the dash.

Does that make sense? I'm afraid neither the images of my wording is very clear.

Trying to simplify:
I took off the trim, I look at the wiring behind the kick panel, it looks as if some of the wiring is factory (or previous owner) installed, can you verify?

If so, I only need the plug (Part Number 118267)

#6 ·
A couple of thought here (and I am just spit-balling).

It's my understanding the installation of the kick panel wiring/relays at the factory (doesn't actually happen at the factory but that's another discussion) only happens if the truck is delivered with the Towing package.

I can't see why the previous owner would bother with the time and expense of adding the wiring/relays if he/she didn't add a tow hitch.

Just some thoughts.

#8 ·
Take a look at this video and check to see if you have any of these parts already in your kick panel. Take note of the pig tail connector at approx. 2:10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex1JJmXiVzY

Hope this helps

#9 ·
I added the tow package to my truck last spring buying the parts directly from Nissan (wife is an employee, so I get a discount). There is a harness that plugs into the pigtail behind the passenger kick panel. It holds 1 or 2 relays, can't remember exactly. The 7 pin harness for the rear plugs into the factory harness that's already run to the back of the truck. For a break controller, there is a connection under the dash.

#10 · (Edited)
As the relay harness is cheap & easy to install, it would not surprise me if Nissan has finally been putting it in all teh trucks... Ensures that if/when owner installs hitch they don't start complaining it doesn't work and blasting nissan with negative reviews... a $2 part (cost) for positive owner reviews is a small price to pay, especially when they'll make it up on the back end with an MSRP adjust... also as the hitch is a "dealer install" item and most dealers slap it on to increase purchase $$ and utility...

try this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8hmmvMYRLs

#12 ·
Towing heavier stuff

You need to get a trailer brake controller to plug into the plug under the drivers side dash to get trailer brakes to work. That's not part of the Frontier tow package.

#15 ·
Small trailers generally come with the 4 pin connector, no brake control built in.

There are likely some small trailers that have brakes, but mostly its gonna be medium to large trailers.

The good thing about going with the 7 pin and a brake controller, is you can get a 7 pin to 4 pin converter. Trailer Adapter Plug Converter from 7 Pin Plug to 4 Pin Plug - Trailer Harness Adapters - Amazon.com

This setup mean that you can haul any trailer within your weight range by converting to the setup you need.

#16 ·
The good thing about going with the 7 pin and a brake controller, is you can get a 7 pin to 4 pin converter. Trailer Adapter Plug Converter from 7 Pin Plug to 4 Pin Plug - Trailer Harness Adapters - Amazon.com

This setup mean that you can haul any trailer within your weight range by converting to the setup you need.
Not exactly. There are 6-pin trailer connectors too (round pins), older horse trailers and boat trailers. So for those you'd need a 7-pin to 6-pin converter. And of course those older horse trailers and boat trailers - while both having the same physical 6-pin connector - had 2 wires switched from each other, just to make it interesting.

I just (last month) switched our old horse trailer connector from 6-pin to 7-pin when we gave it to my daughter, so she wouldn't need to mess with an adapter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.