transmission fluid change - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 04:13 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
transmission fluid change

how do I change my transmission fluid? I'v looked everywhere and I cant find the place to put the the transmission fluid in.

-sweetpeet-
(\/)
(oo) <----evil bunny!!
(><)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
There is a how to thread on this. I tried posting the link but its not working.

Some people use the dip stick hole located on the passenger side by the firewall. It has a 10mm bolt you will have to remove to be able to access it. I don't know if the 2nd gens have it but most cars have an input port on the side of the tranny.

Last edited by devious1; 03-30-2010 at 01:42 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 04:21 PM
Shift_Obsessed

manual or auto. Manuals do not have a dip stick. I have a link to the write up in my blog.

06 KC NISMO 4x4, 2" prg spacer front, Firestone riderite airbags rear, Schrockwrxs front engine skid, Custom sliders, Hidden hitch reciever, Deck plate Airbox mod/amsoil filter, Momo shift knob removed, back to 06+ nismo knob, 05 pathy flat black wheels, 265/75/r16 Tread Wright Sentinel with Kedge Grip, wireless door lock keypad, cargo light bypass, auto dimming rear view mirror with compass and temp.
http://mrpulldown.blogspot.com/
#4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 04:37 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

How-To Change Automatic Transmission Fluid 2005+ Gen 2

07 LE 4X4 Long Bed / Leather / Tow package /AVH-P4000DVD HU / Airaid Intake / Superchips tuned /Bugshield
#5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 03:53 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

While effective, that's a really messy way to do it. You can simply flush the fluid out by disconnecting the cooler hose at the lower radiator, hooking a 4 foot piece of tubing to the cooler nipple, place the other end in a bucket and then turn the engine on for about 45 secs to 1 minute. Top off the fluid through the dipstick and repeat until you see clean fluid come out of the tubing. Shut er off and reconnect it all up and then top off as needed. about 8-10 qts. (The FSM has this procedure in it -FYI)

JLG2002
2005 Frontier LE with every option on it I could buy.
#6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 01:45 AM
Shift_Obsessed
Premium Member

Thanked 1,043 Times in 750 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan4Life View Post
manual or auto. Manuals do not have a dip stick. I have a link to the write up in my blog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinsky190 View Post
look at his avatar, its a 1st gen.

i'll find what i wrote about trannys when i get a chance.

“I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.”

pain of discipline.
pain of regret.
take your pick.
#7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 05:08 AM
Shift_Obsessed
Premium Member

Thanked 1,043 Times in 750 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeet View Post
how do I change my transmission fluid? I'v looked everywhere and I cant find the place to put the the transmission fluid in.
a drain and fill is easy. if you look under the tranny, the plug will be obvious. its a 17mm plug if i remember correctly. let it drain, and measure the volume of fluid and replace the same amount.

i would recommend a complete flush, since a simple drain and fill leaves a pretty good amount of fluid in the transmission. just unclip one of the hoses that lead to the cooler in the radiator, start the truck in neutral, and see what line spits. put that line in a bucket, start the truck, and feed the tranny a couple of quarts as it pumps the old fluid out. when you are satisfied, stop the process, reattach the cooler hose, and continue to put in fresh fluid untill the dipstick reads full. i would recommend doing this when the tranny is warmed up, but use caution, because tranny fluid can be very hot. this is how you determine tranny fluid level:

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
1. drive the truck for about 15 minutes to reach operating temp
2. park on level ground and set parking brake
3. put the tranny in neutral while truck is running
4. remove dipstick, wipe clean, and put it back in.
5. remove dipstick again, and check level- that is your accurate reading.
6. add fluid while truck is running in neutral untill desired fluid level is reached. unless you are running external coolers other then factory, don't overfill more than one quart.

i'm using redline full synthetic high temp fluid and it has been working great.

“I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.”

pain of discipline.
pain of regret.
take your pick.
#8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 09:19 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

on my truck(standard shift), the fill and drain plugs are located under the vehicle just behind the bellhousing. the fill plug is on driver side. dunno on yours, but on mine it has 1/2 in. ratchet plugs... meaning u stick a 1/2 in ratchet into the plug itself to turn it.
#9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 07:11 PM
Shift_lurker

BE VERY CAREFUL TO USE THE CORRECT FLUID!!! If is a 2005 and up, It takes a special fluid that you can only get from Nissan. If it is an automatic, It takes matic "S" fluid.
If it is a manual, make sure you get the correct weight. Using any other fluid in the automatic trannys will destroy it!
#10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 09:35 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20FRONTIER08 View Post
BE VERY CAREFUL TO USE THE CORRECT FLUID!!! If is a 2005 and up, It takes a special fluid that you can only get from Nissan. If it is an automatic, It takes matic "S" fluid.
If it is a manual, make sure you get the correct weight. Using any other fluid in the automatic trannys will destroy it!
don't post incorrect mumbo-jumbo

My 08' seems to enjoy Mobil 1 synthetic AFT fluid just fine. There are a number of fluids that exceed the standards of the factory Nissan fluid. Mobil 1 & Amsoil are two of them.

Ryan
2008 CC Nismo 4x4
Superchips Cortex, AEM Brute Force intake, WRP Crank Pulley, XTP IMS, custom magnaflow dual exhaust, OME HD 608's w/Bilstein 5100 Adjustables, 3" AC AALs, adjustable shackles, 5125 Bilsteins, 2" body lift, 315/75/16 GY Wrangler MTR's, custom sliders, NXRocks skid plates, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, Heftyfab Bumper, Lokka front diff locker

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > DIY - Do It Yourself / Tech Tips

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.