tool for spark plug change - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 07:02 PM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
tool for spark plug change

Hello all,

I have a 6 cylinder 2005 frontier, and am thinking about changing the spark plugs this weekend. I have read the thread by shinermiller and it looks doable. My question is this, can I get the job done with just one of those spark plug sockets with the long straight extensions that they sell at autozone? or do I need some specialized extensions? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 1,808 Times in 1,121 Posts
It can be done with basic plug socket and straight extensions but a wobbly plug socket does make it a bit easier to sneak it in and out with the extension on the socket. Otherwise you have to just drop the socket into the forward (pretty sure it's the front plug on pass side but it's been a while since I did it) plug hole and follow it in with the extension-ratchet if you plan on doing it without pulling the plenum

2014 Pro-4x CC Graphite Blue:
Radflo 2.0s w/650# springs, PRG UCAs, 285/75/16 Toyo MTs, Deaver AALs, 5125s, BDGT, Airaid Quickfit CAI, WRP crank pulley, JBA 1410s shorties, Magnaflow ss 15580, Shrock front bumper, sliders and skids, X2O 8 Comp, Factor 55 Pro Link, BTF diff cover, 20" LED bar, LED HL, map, lic, cargo and BU light conversion, 7-pin relocation, Cobra LX 29 cb

Coming soon:
New DB kit, custom rear suspension goodies from the old rig and whatever else I can't live without...

Nomad's Next Generation
Nomad's Custom BBQ Build You will be missed RIP
DB Lifts; The Good The Bad and The Ugly
#3 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 07:13 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Phoenix - it sounds to me like you are somewhat inexperienced, as you apparently don't even own a spark plug socket and ratchet wrench.

Given that, and you want to try, I'd get several extensions of different lengths, and you may be glad that you did.

I've got a lot of stuff from over the years, and I did the plugs on my daughter's V-6 Pathfinder on Jan. 1. The "dreaded" #6 plug required two 3-inch extensions with the spark plug socket put on the spark plug, then a 1.5 inch extension and the ratchet handle added to that. Take back what you've left in the packages.

Tools bought always seem to get used..
#4 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 07:32 PM
Shift_lurker

Thanks for the responses.

cusser- Yes I am inexperienced, but I've been able to get a fair number of jobs done over the years by coming onto the forum, reading DIY stickys, asking questions and so far so good. this forum has saved me a lot of $$
#5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 1,808 Times in 1,121 Posts
That's what it's all about.
Just remember to go slow, especially when re-installing. You don't want to crack a plug and wonder why you have a miss after you get everything buttoned back up. Or worse, cross-thread a plug and have to pull a head to re-thread, they should screw in by hand all the way down to the crush washer. Don't want to scare you off, just a heads up.

2014 Pro-4x CC Graphite Blue:
Radflo 2.0s w/650# springs, PRG UCAs, 285/75/16 Toyo MTs, Deaver AALs, 5125s, BDGT, Airaid Quickfit CAI, WRP crank pulley, JBA 1410s shorties, Magnaflow ss 15580, Shrock front bumper, sliders and skids, X2O 8 Comp, Factor 55 Pro Link, BTF diff cover, 20" LED bar, LED HL, map, lic, cargo and BU light conversion, 7-pin relocation, Cobra LX 29 cb

Coming soon:
New DB kit, custom rear suspension goodies from the old rig and whatever else I can't live without...

Nomad's Next Generation
Nomad's Custom BBQ Build You will be missed RIP
DB Lifts; The Good The Bad and The Ugly
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad 13 For This Useful Post:
phoenix_pete (04-02-2013)
#6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 02:17 PM
Shift_lurker

Even though it's a bit of a pain, I'd recommend pulling the upper intake off to change #4 and #5 plugs. It took me about 2 hours start to finish and didn't have any issues at all.
#7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 03:52 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

I would recommend a 5/8 (16mm) flex spark-plug socket with a 6 in extension and a std 3/8 ratchet for the#1 and #3 positions. You can do it without pulling the intake but you have to have patience to remove the coil bolts with a 10mm wrench a little at a time. Other that that this is no big deal. FYI the cyl's are numbered front to back 1,3,5 on the right side and 2,4,6 on the left side (drivers side) and the std plugs are NGK-PLFR5A-11

JLG2002
2005 Frontier LE with every option on it I could buy.

Last edited by jlg2002; 04-16-2013 at 04:12 PM.
#8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 03:58 PM
Shift_lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlg2002 View Post
I would recommend a 13/16 flex spark-plug socket with a 6 in extension and a std 3/8 ratchet for the#1 and #2 positions. You can do it without pulling the intake but you have to have patience to remove the coil bolts with a 10mm wrench a little at a time. Other that that this is no big deal.
And be careful reinstalling your coil bolts, I apparently crossthreaded the #6 bolt and snapped off the head. It runs fine, but I think I'm going to try drilling and an easyout before dropping the $$$ on a new valve cover.
#9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 06:36 PM
Shift_Obsessed

phoenix pete, I recommend a torque wrench for the work so as to get things tightened correctly without any surprises. On the VQ, plugs at 18 FT/LB and the coil pack bolts are a very light 62 IN/LB (that's INCH pounds, not FT/LB). A light duty torque wrench will cover both of these. Use some anti-seize on the plug threads too. Have fun and good luck with the work.

2006 SE CC 4x2 6-Speed 4.0L w/Power Package & ABLS, Red Brawn, Nissan Step Rails, Hood Protector and Soft Tonneau, Clarion CX501, Stock Speakers, Pioneer TS-T110 Tweeters and LED Reverse Lights

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > DIY - Do It Yourself / Tech Tips

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.