Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Time for a new muffler...

9K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  nicetruck 
#1 ·
2005 SE,CC,V6WD, Shorty.
....currently rusted through, metal peeling away from canister housing and leaking exhaust fumes.

Walker-JCWhitney (cheap/inexpensive)
Bosal-Advance Auto/AutoZone
Nissan OE?
Other option?

I plan on keeping this truck and we use salt on the roads when it snows, so it will need to hold up to that.

Recommendations?

Thank you

-Drew

#2 ·
If you wanted to do more than a muffler... I love my aFe catback system :)

I also had a Flowmaster Super44 (super loud/ricey), it depends on what you are trying to do.

#3 · (Edited)
Thx Chaos.
Nothing fancy or high performance. Just looking for stock performance and reliable at a good price. Not entire system either, just canister and the pipes that fork/split as the system moves towards the front. (it is sold as a one piece unit)
Walker is under $200. Bosal has a good reputation for $250, then there is Nissan OE.

I read somewhere that Walker makes them for Nissan

I send my fun-money on the motorcycles.

-Drew

#6 ·
Exhaust on the VQ40 is a fickle beast.... Getting into sound and performance gets expensive real fast. And certain setups sound like a 4banger, or sound like complete garbage.

#8 ·
Fair warning on drone possibilities as well as some loss in lower RPM torque if going to virtually any straight through muffler...and especially so if also going with larger sized piping.

#9 · (Edited)
Fortun-
I need more than just the canister, but not the entire system. I need the part that includes the canister plus the pipe that goes forward where the system splits in the "Y". This is a bolt on application, making it simple and quick. Just a can would require welding and more cost than I need to spend on what is necessary. I dont need performance, other than what is considered stock performance. I dont off road except when I need to due to snow.
Item 20100 is all that I need, but if there is a more cost effective, bolt on application, I am all ears.
Thx
-Drew

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
Fortun-
I need more than just the canister, but not the entire system. I need the part that includes the canister plus the pipe for goes forward where the system splits in the "Y". This is a bolt on application, making it simple and quick. Just a can would require welding and more cost than I need to spend on what is necessary. I dont need performance, other than what is considered stock performance. I dont off road except when I need to due to snow.
Item 20100 is all that I need, but if there is a more cost effective, bolt on application, I am all ears.
Thx
-Drew
Buying the OEM muffler is going to cost you far more than getting an aftermarket muffler, and paying someone to weld it in...

OEM Muffler is $336 online, may as well buy a full catback system if you are going to go that deep on it...

#12 · (Edited)
Walker and BOSAL are $190ish, but I dont now about their quality. Both are exact fitment replacements. Nissan OE (through courtesy nissan) is $250ish. + shipping

My Fronty is just transportation and tow vehicle, 3rd one only because I find it dependable, enjoyable and available in a M/T with the V6/WD.
My aftermarket fun money goes into the motorcycles.

#13 ·
My "Y" pipe is long gone at this point.
You however can stay stock as possible with any aftermarket muffler and avoid the drone of "Y" pipe removal.
That would be my move right now, knowing what I know now, and save a lot of money in the process.
Performance wasn't really that earth shattering removing the "Y" pipe, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Again 6MT here, so opinions may vary with the automatic tranny.

#20 ·
Well then, maybe it's the pipe diameters entering and exiting.

I'm gonna move this to a brand new thread since we've completely threadjacked the OPs.
Sorry OP, a Mod should know better.
:whip:

#22 ·
Limited Lifetime Warranty on exhaust system = void if truck EVER started?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.