Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Starting problems

17K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  ck4794 
#1 ·
I need some help! My 2007 SE won't start. Battery changed. Starter changed. Swapped relays on the IPDM. A really weird thing I noticed is that the transmission cooler fan (the one next to the radiator fan?) turns on with the ignition on. I take out the relays on the IPDM and the fan stops running. Won't start with the relays out. I'm thinking it's an electrical issue, but with the tranny fan coming, it could be a transmission issue? A neighbor asked about the fuel pump/filter. The starter will crank but will not turn over. I don't know anything about wiring/electrical issues.

This happened all of a sudden. I go to start the truck for work and... poop. I didn't notice any issues prior to the situation.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks.

#2 ·
The electric aux fan on the top right side of radiator is not a transmission fan. It is controlled by ecu using the ipdm. It uses inputs from air cond and temp sensors to determine when to turn on and at what speed hi or low. when you say that the starter will crank but not turn over do you mean that it will crank but not start or do you mean that it will not turn engine over?

#3 ·
Thanks for the clarification. I assumed since the transmission fluid is routed to a radiator in front of the engine radiator, that that fan would be for the transmission.

The starter will extend and crank (can feel the starter moving the engine) but the engine will not start.

I can't tell if it's a spark issue or a fuel issue.

#5 ·
I'm sure you don't want to hear it but could also be an ECM issue or a wiring harness problem. I had a crank, no start issue on my new truck and it ended up being a bad wire in the wiring harness in the pass kick panel. They had to replace the entire eng wiring harness.
Hopefully it's something more basic, sorry I can't be much more help unless you have any diagnostic skills and can get more info

#8 ·
tranny... hhehehe

I don't think it's a trans issue, from my understanding she would still start, just not go anywhere.

I would probably guess fuel issue as well. You can pull a spark plug out and crank it, to see if there's gas being pumped to the engine. Also see if your spark plugs are firing.
(**DISCLAIMER** I've never actually done that, a friend of mine did it for me, so if you literally blow up your truck, not my fault... **/DISCLAIMER)

Also, '07... Timing belt? How many miles are on it? I had a car with about 160k, would crank all day but never turn over, because enough of the plastic knobs broke off the belt that the shaft was just spinning, and the belt wasn't actually moving.

So all in all, I hope I at least gave you an idea. Good luck.

#9 ·
I would probably guess fuel issue as well. You can pull a spark plug out and crank it, to see if there's gas being pumped to the engine. Also see if your spark plugs are firing.
(**DISCLAIMER** I've never actually done that, a friend of mine did it for me, so if you literally blow up your truck, not my fault... **/DISCLAIMER)

Also, '07... Timing belt? How many miles are on it? I had a car with about 160k, would crank all day but never turn over, because enough of the plastic knobs broke off the belt that the shaft was just spinning, and the belt wasn't actually moving.
These trucks have timing chains, and I don't think I've ever seen/heard of one "breaking".

As far as checking for spark, Pull the plug wire off the number one cylinder plug(drivers side front -closest to the belts- IIRC) insert a long phillips head screwdriver into the boot-same size as the pickup on the plug. Hold the shaft of the screwdriver about an 1/8" from any groung on the engine, and have someone try to crank it. If you see spark, you're probably ok. Probably have spark at all cylinders, but you can check the rest in the same manner. This will rule out spark side. Easy way to check for lack of fuel would be have someone crank the vehicle for about 10 seconds, and smell the exhaust for raw fuel.

#11 ·
I can't hear the fuel pump with the ignition on. It's hard to hear anything with the auxiliary fan blasting at 100%. Does the ECM affect the fuel pump at all? i.e. not allowing power to get to the pump? The ECM relay on the IPDM is the only one you cannot swap, so I would have to try a new one. Bob-w said that the auxiliary fan is run by the ECU. So my next question is "is that relay really bad?" or "do I have a bad ECU?"

The IPDM applies only to 2005-2006 models. I could call the dealership tomorrow and see if it might apply to mine.

#15 ·
I found the link. It's broken down into systems. Pretty neat.

I also found out that my EGI fuse was blown. It wasnt obviously blown, but, none the less, blown. I also found out that the IPDM has integrated (non-replaceable) relays built into the board. And that there is also a CPU that controls everything that plugs into the IPDM.

I need to find out what is overloading the ECM circuit. Any ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.