Nissan Frontier Forum banner

A Smelly Smell

4K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  blkfir 
#1 ·
Anyone else get an odd oil smell inside the cab with musty dog like qualities?
My friend thinks it smells like dog, smells like strange oil to me. Wife can't smell anything, and says I have an issue with odors. :roll:
I've checked the forum but can't find anything similar enough. No wet spots. Coolant is not low. I don't think I've ever run the a/c other than when I bought the truck. It's not coming out of the vents. It seems worse when the truck has sat for a while, i.e. morning and after work. I can't locate the source outside of the cabin either. Not under the hood or anywhere. I cleaned all the upholstery with a carpet scrubber attachment, except for the headliner, and washed the floor mats.
Odor persists. It's driving me crazy.

#2 ·
#4 ·
It did not come across snarky, we are way too PC, and touchy feely these days, you didn't hurt my feelings. I can't believe you don't use your air.

#6 ·
I'd take a black light (UV) flashlight inside the car in complete darkness and start looking everywhere (seats, headliner, carpeting, etc). Any place that fluoresces could be the source of your problem. Then get an enzyme based cleaner (pet stores handle the stuff) and have at it or take to professional detailer (my choice).

#9 ·
It definitely has an oil smell but the smell seems strongest while sitting in the drivers seat, and there's no leak there up front(knock on wood). Leak location may not matter but to me gear oil smells like 50 year old gas line, and my mystery oil reminds me of dog. I partly feel like that association comes from it being suggested to me...

I don't know what the MT fluid smells like but I'm starting to suspect it. I just bought enough for a change but haven't done it yet. Shifting feels awfully clunky.

#12 ·
I had a funny experience with gear oil. One of my shirts had gear oil on it before, washed it, but I guess the gear oil never cleaned away. I wore the shirt yesterday and I thought there was a leak in my Hardbody I was driving!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 ·
Did you happen to recently install Husky floor liners? When I put some in my wife's Rogue it smelled like oil for a while. I don't know if it is part of the floor liner or some release agent for the liner mold.

#25 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.