Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Replacement painted front bumper

15K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  R00 
#1 ·
Not sure if this is the right section or not but I have a question about replacing my front bumper.

I have a 2012 Frontier SV with the sport appearance package... part of that package is the front an rear bumpers are painted to match the body color (super black). Recently I swiped a pole and had to replace the front bumper. When I got my truck back the front bumper cover was left primer grey plastic. The body shop told me that it is too textured to paint but I sat there while he called about 5 Nissan parts places and all told him that they only have one replacement bumper cover and it is textured. I took it to a couple other body shops in my area and they all said the same that its too textured to paint. Part # 62022-ZL00B.

Anybody know how to get this fixed correctly? I've uploaded before and after pics.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
When I had hit a deer last year they painted the texture grey did not ask since my truck was stock with the gray.
Thought it was extra but not the shop said from factory they have options to spray it all one color or leave it half gray half color.

#5 ·
It is definitely paintable. Just a matter of time which equals $.

Who paid for the replacement? You or insurance?

Not a car bumper, but the side cases on my motorcycle, were the same textured black plastic. I wanted them to be painted just like the rest of the bike.

I used some sandpaper to sand it down a bit and remove the high spots. Then painted the panels. I did apply more coats than normal as filler, but in the end they are perfectly smooth, and have lasted for 4 years.

If I can do this in my drive way with sand paper and a can of spray paint, I hope professionals can as well. Either your insurance just doesnt want to pay the bill, or the shops are lazy.

#7 · (Edited)
Just checked mine, bought it new, like shizzy says, bottom half is paint over textured plastic. Never noticed that before, maybe I needed a beer to see it:)

#8 ·
I just switched from a chrome front bumper, to the one piece plastic bumper like the one you have, I had it painted to match the rest of the truck.(Base coat/ clear coat) IT IS paintable, to say its to textured to paint is flat out BS. Ask other body shops, by the way, 62022-ZL00B is exactly the bumper cover I got painted.

#9 ·
That is amazing. I just got back from Nissan Collision Center attached to the dealership I bought the truck from brand new. They told me the textured bumper on my truck is the only one they sell and and they cannot paint it either. They acknowledge that they have and sell trucks on their lot right now with the painted bumper but they told me that someone must have painted my bumper before I bought my truck. I told them I bought the truck brand new from this lot in 2012 and it had 6 miles on it when I bought it. He just said Oh well that's the only bumper we sell and we cant paint it.

Since you guys have confirmed that it is painted over the texture.. I will go back to the body shop.

Thanks everyone!

#11 ·
I keep meaning to reply with this pic:

I smashed up that left front fender and the bumper 6 months ago.

Obviously, it's been replaced and painted :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.