Power Steering Fluid??? - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 01:28 AM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Power Steering Fluid???

Hi All,

I've wanted to change my power steering fluid in my 07 V6 Frontier for some time now. However I can't seem to find the fluid I want to change it with. I've seen here on the forums and online that a Dexron III ATF (Mobil 1 brand) is recommended, but I can't find it anywhere. I've tried O'Riley/Kragen, Autozone and Walmart but they say they are no longer carrying Dexron III products, it is now Dex IV or V.

Now I was wondering if there are any new recommendations. Can I use a Dex IV or V fluid or should I try to find a Dex III? Would there be any problems mixing with my current fluid? I heard Royal Purple is good. Anybody recommend anything else? I was going to use the "Turkey Baster Method"

Also, right now the power steering fluid in my truck is a red-ish color, is that normal? Is it an ATF?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 09:11 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Check your manual. For mine (2010), Nissan PSF or Dex IV is recommended. I do the turkey baster method at every oil change and have been using Dex IV and everything is working fine, no squeals and smooth!

I'm pretty sure that Nissan PSF is ATF, but I'm not sure when they made the move from Dex III to Dex IV. The Dex IV is thinner than the Dex III, so make sure you read your manual and see what it says.

Truck: 2010 Frontier Crew Cab SE V6, 4x2, Auto, Value Truck Package - Super Black / Steel

Exterior: Axle vent mod, de-badged tailgate, OEM engine skid plate, OEM style fogs, OEM camber bolts, trailer wiring harness in bumper, OEM tow hook, Autodimming compass mirror, OEM splash guards, OEM bug shield

Audio: JVC KD-X50BT head unit, Pioneer TS-T110 dash, Kicker DS693 front doors, Kicker DS65 rear doors
#3 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 02:34 PM
Shift_lurker

I've read the manual and all its says is Nissan PSF or equivalent. Doesn't mention anything about ATF, Dex III or IV, or what not.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 03:10 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
I've read the manual and all its says is Nissan PSF or equivalent. Doesn't mention anything about ATF, Dex III or IV, or what not.
It should have a little star or number next to the equivalent (mine does and my old 2006 Senta did too). If you follow that below, you will see that Dex XX can be used. My Senta was Dex III, my Frontier is Dex IV.

It lists Dex III for a 2007.

Check the owners manual here: http://www.nissanextendedwarranty.co...r_manuals.html

Copy/paste straight from the 2007 owners manual in the link:
Power steering fluid (PSF) Genuine NISSAN PSF or equivalent.*4
*4: For Canada, NISSAN Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF), DEXRON. III/MERCON., or equivalent ATF may also be used.

Truck: 2010 Frontier Crew Cab SE V6, 4x2, Auto, Value Truck Package - Super Black / Steel

Exterior: Axle vent mod, de-badged tailgate, OEM engine skid plate, OEM style fogs, OEM camber bolts, trailer wiring harness in bumper, OEM tow hook, Autodimming compass mirror, OEM splash guards, OEM bug shield

Audio: JVC KD-X50BT head unit, Pioneer TS-T110 dash, Kicker DS693 front doors, Kicker DS65 rear doors

Last edited by BriDroid; 04-04-2011 at 03:19 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 07:31 PM
Shift_lurker

Thanks! I didn't realize to look on that page in the manual.

But I've been looking for a Dex III ATF but can't find it anywhere. Is a Dex IV or V OK to use?
#6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

dexIII is now called MD-3

2010 Pro-4X,Kelly Safari TSR's, ARB Front Bumper, Shrockworks Rad Skid, HeftyFabworks Sliders, weathertech all around, Thule Xsporter 422xt Rack with a CVT Mt.Baker Hard Shell Roof Top Tent, awning with mesh and enclosed walls. Lots of pelican cases for my camping set up.
Suspension will be done the right way first time.

My Slow Build Thread
#7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Shift_Newbie

I've read even the new dex VI is packwards compatible. But as long as you use an atf that covers the dex III spec it should work. I just suck out the ps fluid from the resevoir and put in amsoil atf every 5k miles and never had a problem.
#8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 04:50 PM
Shift_lurker

Just wondering what brand/type of PS fluid people have been using. I plan to change to Redline Power Steering Fluid at my upcoming 50k service. I'm already using Redline for my rear diff & ATF.
Red Line Synthetic Oil - Power Steering and Misc. - Power Steering Fluid

2006 CC LE

Last edited by brownbanana; 08-12-2013 at 04:53 PM.
#9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 06:25 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Thanked 1,122 Times in 815 Posts
Garage
Send a message via MSN to Mhannis Send a message via Yahoo to Mhannis Send a message via Skype™ to Mhannis
i ran aircraft grade hydraulic fluid in my 09... also known as cold weather psf

what state do you live in? back home, it made sense to run that stuff..down in the states, i can only think of a few locations within a smaller number of states that would have cold eough or long enough winters to justify it..otherwise.. just run anything that says PS fluid on it, or synthetics if you can find it for a good price.
#10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 06:40 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to invasion08
Just order some Amsoil Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid. AMSOIL Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid

PM Motorcop75, he is a dealer.

PRG Basic Suspension Package
XTP IMS, Gibson Exhaust, Airaid Intake, UpRev Tuned
N-Fab Nerf Bars, Bakflip G2, Line X Bed Liner

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > DIY - Do It Yourself / Tech Tips

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.