Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Pesky Airbag light!!

282K views 132 replies 85 participants last post by  justbusiness 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have an 05 NISMO Frontier king cab. I bought it after it was wrecked and fixed and am having trouble getting the airbag light to go off. I installed the new module and can't get the airbag light to stop flashing.

I can get it to the diagnostic mode but then I'm stumped.

Reactions: Ruko63
#2 ·
Take it to your local dealership. They should be able to clear the code for free. :)

#3 · (Edited)
There is no need to take it to the stealership. Most will charge you to reset it. I recentally added the PAC Nissan AAI-NIS2 aux audio input and my airbag light was flashing after the install. I didn't read all the instructions completely before installing. The instructions clearly state to disconnect the battery. I didn't see any need for it until after I was finished. I started my vehicle and I had the airbag light indicator blinking. I did a quick google and found the solution without having to go to the dealer. I did a search on this forum and couldn't find a solution. Sorry if this is on this forum somewhere but I couldn't find it. Here is the reset method and it worked for my 2005 Frontier.

RESET METHOD:

If you have the airbag light blinking here is how to reset it:

1. Turn the key from off to on.

2. Watch the airbag light closely. It will stay on for a few secs. and then as soon as it blinks off (the start of the flashing), turn the key off instantly.

3. Count to 5 (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi . . . .)

4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times until you have done the cycle three times.

5. Now turn the key on and watch the light. It will start blinking in a different, slower manner. This is diagnostic mode. You can watch this for a little while, no hurry.

6. Now turn the key off again, Count to 5 like in step 3 again, and turn back on. If the procedure worked, the airbag light will not be flashing.

If it does not work the first time, just repeat the steps again.

#6 ·
Thanks for this thread guys, my airbag light came on after I changed my oil. I my have hit the front airbag sensor while struggling with the stupid oil filter. Long story short, I followed the above mentioned procedure and it worked. It saved me a trip to the dealer.

#7 ·
Gotta love the search button!

I had this issue for over a year now. I googled with no luck a long time ago, and refused to take it to a dealer. It happened right after I had a stereo installed (by a shop too).

Thanks for the step by step, it worked perfectly the first try!

#9 ·
Do not work any more

I had this problem too after changing my radio. I tryed this procedure (above) and it worked well tought I add to do it at least one more time after having fixed it. Now, I am having this stupid light on again along with the passender airbag light:hi: on. Can not shut it down with this above technique....Any suggestion ?

Much Thanks

Denis de KEBEK

#10 ·
Again, I foudn this using Google. I would think after you have reset it once and it comes back then you have another issue besides an accidental incident causing the light to start blinking. The info below will tell you have to check what code is causing the issue. I haven't tried this since mine hasn't come back on but its worth a shot.

Checking Airbag Codes!

If your airbag light flashes after 7 secs, then you need to run the airbag diagnostic codes, if your airbag light does not shut off after 7 secs then the airbag ECM needs to be replaced. To run the codes you must enter the first diagnostic mode, from there you can read the number of light flashed to see what the problem is. The second diagnostic mode is meant to show what codes have been cleared, and is not useful for diagnosing problem.

There are 3 modes for the airbag ECM diagnostic unit:
User (Normal)
Present (Diagnostic Mode 1)
Initial (Diagnostic Mode 2)

User (Normal):
This is the mode your car is in when it is not in diagnostic mode, it needs to be left in this mode for proper use of the SRS system, be sure to return the ECM to this mode after completing diagnostics.
Present (Diagnostic Mode 1):
This mode will display the codes causing the error in the SRS system, the number of short flashes of the airbag light corresponds to the error code.
Initial (Diagnostic Mode 2):
This mode is only useful to see what codes have been cleared, it will also show what code is causing the problem.

Most people, if ever, will only need to enter mode 1, follow the instructions below, simply ignoring the mode 2 instructions.

To enter Diagnostic Mode 1 you will need to activate the drivers side door switch(located in the door jamb near the latch striker) at least 5 times within 7 seconds after the ignition is turn to on.

To enter Diagnostic Mode 2 you will need to turn the key off then back to on, then activate the drivers side door switch once AFTER the ignition has been turned on for 7 secs.

To exit Diagnostic Mode 2 you will need to turn the key off then back to on, then activate the drivers side door switch once AFTER the ignition has been turned on for 7 secs.

To exit Diagnostic Mode 1 you will need to turn the key off then back to on, then activate the drivers side door switch(located in the door jamb near the latch striker) at least 5 times within 7 seconds after the ignition is turn to on.

Now for a visual:(adaptation from the FSM)

Before switching between the modes shown above remember to turn the key off then on, otherwise the system cannot accept the door switch inputs.

After switching to mode 1 the "Airbag" light will flash once long, indicating the code series is about to start, the following number of short flashes is the number of the code causing the error in the SRS system. If the airbag light flashes on for 2 secs and off for 3 secs then that indicates no problem, or an intermittent problem.

1- Safing Sensor circuit is out of order.
2- Driver's air bag module circuit is out of order.
3- Tunnel sensor circuit is out of order.
4- Right crash zone sensor circuit is out of order.
5- Left crash zone sensor circuit is out of order.
6- Center crash zone sensor circuit is out of order.
7- Diagnosis unit is out of order.
8- Front Passenger air bag module circuit is out of order.
9- More than 2 parts of the SRS system are out of order.

#12 ·
Well I got the airbag light to go to the diagnostic mode several times, and then, following the steps I shut it off again counted to five slowly and turned it back to on. The diagnostic code was still flashing up at me. Any other suggestions? I'm thinking that I'm just going to go back to the "stealership".

#13 ·
I just tried this tonight several times, and likewise, it beeps twice when it enters diagnostic mode (right?) and that's it. I tried taking my vehicle to the dealership and just to look at it was over $600 that I simply cannot dispense for someone to just stare at my pretty truck. Does anyone have any idea how to disable the light?

I really appreciate the help in advance :) !

If it's pertinent to every model on how to do this, mine is:
2006 King Cab SE 2WD V6

#16 ·
Saved me some trouble today as well. It was after I changed my speakers/stereo. If I had to guess, I'd say that starting the car without the passenger airbag switch (as you would with the stereo bezel off to make sure it works before closing everything up) probably causes the code.

#17 · (Edited)
Just the other day my airbag light on the dash start blinking. I found this specific thread and tried the instructions posted by Thump (many times), and it didn't seem to "clear" any codes, because the airbag light is still flashing. But it is NOW flashing like it is in diagnostic mode, and I can't seem to get it out of diagnostic mode. It has one long flash, and then 6 small flashes, so I can assume that the center crash zone sensor circuit is out of order. I didn't have a chance to try and locate the sensor to see if the wires are all ok, but I should check that. So I have 2 questions:

1. How the heck do I get it out of diagnostic mode 1? I tried the door switch thing, and I tried just turning the key to off, waiting 5 seconds and turning it back on.
2. Is the "center crash zone sensor" the one that gets replaced from the widely known airbag sensor warranty issue? ( http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/notice-nissan-frontier-pathfinder-xterra-airbag-recall-40124/ ) ? If so, I'm thinking I will get the truck to the dealership to replace this sensor, and see if all my problems go away, especially because I assume that the dealership will reset the airbag system whatever after they replace the sensor.

bump. Anyone?

#19 · (Edited)
You didn't say anything about doing any work on your truck so we will assume this was something that just started by itself. If this is true then this procedure probably will not work. Sounds like something else caused the issue which is probably why this procedure is not working. You may have a faulty sensor. You should have received the recall notice if you are a registered owner. If not and you live in the Northern states where the recall was issued contact a Nissan dealer and setup an appointment to get yours checked out.

You didn't say anything about doing any work on your truck so we will assume this was something that just started by itself. If this is true then this procedure probably will not work. Sounds like something else caused the issue which is probably why this procedure is not working. You may have a faulty sensor. You should have received the recall notice if you are a registered owner. If not and you live in the Northern states where the recall was issued contact a Nissan dealer and setup an appointment to get yours checked out.
Oh, and to the rest of you guys, your welcome.

#18 ·
I just installed my JVC HU last night and my airbag light was blinking. The reset procedure worked for me. Thanks Thump!

#21 ·
My Airbag light went off when i installed my new radio. I tried the RESET METHOD Thump recommended, and it worked just fine. I dont have to worry about that again. Thanks Thump

Now you can also try to see is the Trip Computer Test Function. i just tried this yesterday. works good as well. Good Luck you guys
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f23/trip-computer-test-function-5206/

#23 ·
This procedure worked great on my 2002 SC... so FYI it isn't just for the latest gen trucks, it should work on the 98-04's also.

Thank you! I think I turned it on with the bezel off when I changed the radio, I'll be more careful next time!

#54 ·
I'm not sure if it has been said but has anyone come to the conclusion that maybe the passanger seat is the cause of the pesky airbag light? This is the third time it's gone off and now I'm noticing it usually happens when someone is in the passanger seat. The passanger airbag light comes on then a few seconds later the airbag light starts to flash on the dash. I just keep resetting it but any suggestions on how to find the sensor or should I unplug the seat for a while and then plug it back in?
My airbag light started flashing and the passenger airbag was turned off. All I did was start the engine and this happened. Took it to my Nissan tech so he could scan it and tell me what the DTC was. It was a B1019. I checked my seat belt wiring and harnesses and did not find anything out of order. Turns out that the seat belt was defective. I had it replaced under the seat belt warranty instead of the SRS which expired with my powertrain warranty.

Ok so after reading this thread and picking these posts out i have some questions;

1st my truck is a 2007 crew cab and the passenger light airbag on the center console is off most days but sometimes it comes on ans stays on until i turn off the truck and turn it back on. This doesnt always fix the light issue though. Doesnt matter who or what i have in the passenger seat. No light comes on in the intsrument cluster, just the passenger airbag light.

I do have the squeaky passenger seat that i havent even looked at yet. Thinking maybe the two coincide with each other? I haven't changed or worked on anything in or out of the truck with the exception of the routine oil changes. Any thoughts or recommendations on things to look for? Anyone have a list or can provide a link to recall items? Thanks everyone.

- Rob

#24 ·
Works as stated.

After installing my Garmin Nav (included disconnecting center panel w/ pass. airbag stat light), my airbag light in the cluser was blinking. The procedure posted by Thump worked to get rid of it.

Thanks!

#26 · (Edited)
Trying this right now. Will report what happens after lunch.

No luck. The light started going off over a year ago and I just ignored it(being a dumb kid) and it has been flashing ever since. It happened when I let a friend drive my truck on a trail and he hit a rut really hard, bouncing the front end about 5 inches off the ground. Would the light be flashing because something got disconnected? that is really all I can think of that might have happened. Also, I went into a ditch last winter due to wet roads and the airbag did not come out even though it was a very hard hit, which makes me think there is something disconnected.

#27 ·
Big Thanks!!! worked for me..

Whats Up,
Just installed a Sony headunit, and the light came on and I Freaked.
Thanks for the quick fix.

#31 ·
I'm going to try this tonight, I removed the previous owners satellite radio hookup last night and this morning got the blinking light...couldn't figure out why since I didn't snip any wires that weren't related to the radio. Apparently I should have unplugged the battery.

I'll see if this works for me in a bit.

#34 ·
I'm not sure if it has been said but has anyone come to the conclusion that maybe the passanger seat is the cause of the pesky airbag light? This is the third time it's gone off and now I'm noticing it usually happens when someone is in the passanger seat. The passanger airbag light comes on then a few seconds later the airbag light starts to flash on the dash. I just keep resetting it but any suggestions on how to find the sensor or should I unplug the seat for a while and then plug it back in?