P0300 Error Code! HELP!!! - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 06:16 PM
Shift_Newbie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
P0300 Error Code! HELP!!!

Hello All,
Last week I took my '05 Frontier with 47,700 miles to the dealership becuase my Service Engine Soon light came on along with a very rough and shaking idle. The shaking didn't occur at every start up, just every 4 or 5. The diagnostics said it was Random Cylinder Misfire and/or a Timing issue. Well, they said the problem occured because AvisLube had put too much oil in the engine and that is what was causing the misfire. They charged me $105.00 for the computer hook-up and sent me on my way. I went to AvisLube and told them and they gave me $105.00 for re-imbursement. ANYWAYS, yesterday the light came back on and so did the shakes and rough idle and the exhaust smells like rotten eggs. It is horrible. I called the dealership a while ago and told them the problem isn't fixed and can't take the truck in for a few more weeks due to my job. Has anybody had this issue or think of what the problem might be. The service manager mentioned an O2 sensor or catalytic converter. Any estimates on how much this might cost??? Thanks for any info.

'05 Frontier Storm Gray LE V6
Black Aries Grill Guard. AirRaid Cold Air Intake. Ultra SilverStar Headlights. PIAA Fog Lights. Smoked Bug Deflector. Smoked VentGuards. Truxedo Truxport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover. Smoked LED 3rd Brake Light. Custom Amber Lighting On Center Console. 20x8.5 Boss 330's with 265/50/20. Kenwood and Polk Audio System.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 07:33 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

I financed my truck at 32,000 miles now it has 57,000 and ive never had that problem or heard of anyone with that type of problem. Thats sounds strange a bit too strange if u ask me. If i was u id go to a mechanic u can trust and see what he says. Dealerships allways overcharge.

05 Frontier, V6 Radiant Silver King Cab SE
INTERIOR: JBL sound system, kenwood DDX512, amps, tweeters, custom sub-prime mortgage meltdown 10" box. Just added: Seat covers.
EXTERIOR: Custom Tool Box. Goodyear Fortera Silent Armor tires, Sliding Bed Extender w/ Custom Channel Rail system, Custom stock painted MotoMetal Wheels, Fog Lights. Just Added: custom smoked tail lights!
#3 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 07:37 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to Inyourface1650
P0300 is just multicylinder misfire. But with the rotten egg smell I would say blocked or destroyed cats.

SirLurksAlot
#4 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 08:02 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Yup egg smell = cats. Must've been a whole lot of oil. Fouled plugs?

Run it 'till it breaks and fix it faster!
#5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Something crossing my mind on this rotten egg smell and cats. Wonder if it's the right side cat that may be bad. If you notice on famed Nissan Y pipe the right side pipe is the one that is almost flattened. Would that not restrict the air flow to were it's not being forced thru the right cat to keep it cleaned out. Just a thought.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0742.jpeg
Views:	1084
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	22769  

2005 4X2 CC Nismo Auto, Nissan Vent Visor, Nissan Bug Guard, Gibson Catback, Nissan Hitch, 35% Window Tint, UnderCover Tonneau, Silvania Ultra SilverStar Headlights, Hella FF75 Driving Lights. Firestone Destination A/T's 265/75/16,Saddleman SureFit seat covers,AFE DRY drop in air filter, Dee Zee EZ Down for tail gate.
#6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 08:35 PM
Shift_Newbie

Hmmm. Thanks for all suggestions. I live in a small town and a few mechanics in town, but I think they are afraid of imports. I thought bad gas at first. I drove from my hometown to San Antonio and filled up in San Antonio with Shell. Normally, around these parts that is one of the cleanest fuels. The next day is when the problem started. This is all too strange!

'05 Frontier Storm Gray LE V6
Black Aries Grill Guard. AirRaid Cold Air Intake. Ultra SilverStar Headlights. PIAA Fog Lights. Smoked Bug Deflector. Smoked VentGuards. Truxedo Truxport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover. Smoked LED 3rd Brake Light. Custom Amber Lighting On Center Console. 20x8.5 Boss 330's with 265/50/20. Kenwood and Polk Audio System.
#7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 09:12 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you're in a small town or know someone at a shop that does inspections, pull those cats off !

My Rodeo smells like that every once in a while, when we go cruisin through rivers and ponds mostly .. if water gets in my exhaust a little bit into the cat it smells like that for a couple days and then goes away. Your cats may be surely permanently damaged. I know nissan charges around 1600, seems as if they just throw new exhaust on instead of replacement of cats. I could be TOTALLY wrong.

05 Nismo Crew Cab @ 45K miles. It's got some mods.. [Pending sale]

07 Avalanche Xterra offroad, mods await.

See my custom computer audio infotainment system build here.

Last edited by steve500; 06-24-2009 at 09:15 PM.
#8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 01:51 PM
Shift_Hardcore

I got the same problem, I haven't noticed the exhaust though. Mine went in Tuesday, the day my warranty was up, hehe. I took it to a different dealer because the one I bought the truck from wouldn't touch it and also charged me that generous service fee because I changed my plugs so they thought I dropped somethin in my engine. It's still at that dealer because they can't figure it out yet. Hope it all gets fixed under warranty. It should, I took everything I had on it off before I took it in and set my tuner back to stock.

-Jason

06 SE KC 4x4 - Black
Exterior: 20% Tint, Truxedo TruxPort Cover, Chrome Door Handle and Mirror Covers, Billet Grille, ICI Nerf Bars, 2" PRG Mini Lift, Redline Tuning Hood Lift Struts, 20" Ultra 248 Series w/ 275/55/20 Nitto TerraGrapplers
Performance:
SUPERCHIPS TUNED!!
, Airaid Quick Fit Intake, Poweraid TBS

2007 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 - K&N Filter, AMR Monster Coil, Power Now, Cycra M2 Handgaurds, WARN RT15 Winch, HMF Sport Slip-On, Dune Gear 1.5" Wheel Spacers, Dynojet Kit
#9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 1,980 Times in 1,296 Posts
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I agree with some of the people above.
Sulfur smell (ie rotten eggs) is caused by catalytic converters.

Report a bad/flaming/illegal post by clicking on or
#10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

If a Cat burnned through how come is not tripping an o2 sensor and getting a code for that. i could see how the exess oil could foul the tips and cause the misfire and rough idle, or maybe the dealer fixed the fouled plugs and misfire and now the o2 sensor is making the motor run rough trying to correct for that........IDK just brainstorming here

2005 KC 2x4. PRO COMP 7089, 265/70/r17 Nitto Terra Grapplers,Spectra intake,Flowmaster 50 series,Alpine MRP-M1000,Pioneer TS-W253R 10",DIY Aux Input,Custom Black Grill, UWS Black Low Profile Tool Box, Beltronics RX-65 Radar Detector

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > DIY - Do It Yourself / Tech Tips

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.