Oil change hell!!! - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 09:10 PM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil change hell!!!

I would love to get ahold of the commie bastard that put the oil filter there and let me cut my wrist on that plastic guard while going around that damn gutter that gets oil all over hell and half of Georgia.. I can change my Z-71 oil in about ten minutes compared to this debacle..at least put it vertical instead of horizontal so it doesn't douse you with oil. That engineering degree didn't teach you crap apparently. Ok I'm done now.. ,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10. Whew..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 3,760 Times in 2,142 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Put a rag on that little gutter to catch the oil. Sit next to the passenger side tire and reach around the skid plate to access the filter. Makes it much simpler. The hole in the skid plate is just to allow oil to drip out. It's not meant for you to put your hand through.

Report a bad/flaming/illegal post by clicking on

Suspension Lift Info 05+

2009 SE King Cab 4x4 6 speed
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JeniorNV For This Useful Post:
crzycrkr (11-20-2012), SMS1115 (11-23-2012), x_mods (11-20-2012), Zero Six LE (11-20-2012)
#3 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 09:51 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

If it makes you feel any better I had to have a MRI on my hand after trying to change my oil the first time due to the filter access. Reaching in there crooked and twisting as hard as I could I thought I re-tore a ligament in my thumb! And I still didn't get it off lol. Moral of the story is get an oil filter wrench, I like mine it's the one that goes over the end that a ratchet goes into. Took me 10 minutes total the second go 'round.

'12 P4X CC AT
Lift: 1" Body Lift. F: PRG UCA's, Radflos. R: Dakar MD Leafs, Bilstein 5125s.
Vroom: Gibson exhaust dumped over axle. Volant CAI. SS Brake Lines. BD Tuned.
Outside: 285/75 Dynapro ATMs. Shrocks Rear Bumper. Hefty Sliders/Skids. ARE CX Series. Plastidip Wheels. Grill Mod. Black Altezza Tails. BTF Diff Cover. Blue engine cover.
Inside: Weatherteched. GT seat cover. Plastidip. Maglight mount. BD Blendmount. Pathy switch covers.
Lights: F: 2 Rigid Dually Spots and 2 Rigid Dually Floods in bumper. R: 2 Rigid SR-Q Diffused Amber, 2 China Special LED Floods, and 2 small LED modules currently taped into reverse.
WHOO PIG SOOIE!
#4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 10:02 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to barmato
What drives me crazy is how a crapload if oil dumps out all over the swaybar and skid plate as soon as you pull the filter away from the threads no matter how long you let it sit there to drain.

Although as bad as this is, the filter on my miata is WAY worse.

07 Frontier, LE, CC, 4X4, Radflow 2.0 Coillovers, Billstein Struts, 1.5" Blocks, Bully Dog GT, Volant Intake, Magnaflow Muffler with custom SS Piping, Access Lorado Tonneau Cover, Pro-4X wheels

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...o/IMG_0907.jpg
#5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 10:14 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgpd324 View Post
I would love to get ahold of the commie bastard that put the oil filter there and let me cut my wrist on that plastic guard while going around that damn gutter that gets oil all over hell and half of Georgia.. I can change my Z-71 oil in about ten minutes compared to this debacle..at least put it vertical instead of horizontal so it doesn't douse you with oil. That engineering degree didn't teach you crap apparently. Ok I'm done now.. ,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10. Whew..
You'll get the hang-of-it. I remove 1 bolt and loosen other on access plate and turn it out of way - look through hole, reach aroung skid plate on passenger side with above mentioned cap style filter socket on a 3/8 ratchet - built in drain channel works ok. Yes - it seems all factory filters are put on dry and over tight, because every new car I've owned has been same PITA.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 11:14 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Do yourself a favor and install some edge molding on that access cover if you continue to reach thru it.

07 SE CC Auto
The Following User Says Thank You to dubie2003 For This Useful Post:
noob (11-20-2012)
#7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 3,760 Times in 2,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
If it makes you feel any better I had to have a MRI on my hand after trying to change my oil the first time due to the filter access.
Is this a true story? Sounds like an expensive oil change.

Report a bad/flaming/illegal post by clicking on

Suspension Lift Info 05+

2009 SE King Cab 4x4 6 speed
#8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 07:44 AM
Shift_Fanatic

I can't believe people here are still complaining about the oil changes, lol. As others have said, it's very simple. Just reach around the side of the skid plate. I use a cut soda bottle on top of the drain slide to extend it a little so no oil goes in the skid. Simple and takes no longer than any other vehicle

2009 Super Black Pro4x KC Auto
Volant intake w/ AEM dryflow, tinted front windows, in channel wind deflectors, Nissan hood protector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, Extang Trifecta, Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD

When there's money speakers and amp, tuner, headers and exhaust
#9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 07:59 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Thanked 1,078 Times in 789 Posts
Garage
Send a message via MSN to Mhannis
Quote:
Originally Posted by crzycrkr View Post
I can't believe people here are still complaining about the oil changes, lol. As others have said, it's very simple. Just reach around the side of the skid plate. I use a cut soda bottle on top of the drain slide to extend it a little so no oil goes in the skid. Simple and takes no longer than any other vehicle
soda bottle is a damn fine idea. if im ever not a dealer tech, i may have to try that out.

actually...no i probably wont.. because working at a dealer i know that i can get my oil changed in a v6 frontier, for cheaper than what it would cost me to do it myself. and it gives me free right to ***** if its left dirty at the end

i long for the days i get to be a cranky customer.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mhannis For This Useful Post:
crzycrkr (11-20-2012), Mandangalo (11-20-2012), x_mods (11-20-2012)
#10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 08:01 AM
Shift_lurker

Ive found the easiest and cleanist way to change the oil is to just remove the entire skid plate.

2012 Nissan Frontier SV, CC. 6.5" Lift.
SnoopySV Build Thread
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f...9/#post1156928
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SnoopySV For This Useful Post:
jjw1 (11-23-2012), noob (11-20-2012), x_mods (11-20-2012)

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > DIY - Do It Yourself / Tech Tips

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.