Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Lower Ball Joints

10K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  pidge 
#1 ·
I am taking off my front end (2wd) to repaint the spindles, drop bracket, and UCA's because a couple of years ago I ran through some salty ice on the freeway and they are rusting in some spots.

While taking off my spindles I noticed that my lower ball joint on the driver's side is bad, so I ordered some new ones for both sides. I removed the clip on top and have been beatin the snot outta the bad one, since it will be replaced anyway, but can't budge it outta the LCA at all.

Do I need to keep at it with bigger hammers, or do I need to replace the entire LCA because they are machine-pressed in there?

Also, I used a pitman arm pulley and the ball joint still wont budge.

#2 ·
What kind of vehicle? assuming 2nd gen, best bet would be to use a balljoint press. Most parts stores will loan/rent the out.

#3 ·
I replaced both of mine recently,

I left the LCA mounted on the truck, used an oversized deep socket (larger than the body of the balljoint) on the bottom used a large sledge hammer on it until it came loose, it helps if you have a flat chisel or drift pin on top of the balljoint for better accuracy,

#5 ·
You guys are awesome, thanks. Ima just get a bigger hammer and a few beers and keep at it.

I ran into this problem on a control arm on my friend's '66 Charger. We hammered it, chiseled it, torched it, and swore at it, and eventually just bought a new control arm w/ installed ball joint. I didn't want to have to go that route.

#6 ·
Bring back the dead, old thread I know, but I'm searching for a lower ball joint how to. I did them back in 2010, but I forget how and just wanna cross my t's and dot my i's so to speak before I get started this weekend. I've looked, but can't find one. Any one have any links by chance? Thanks Pidge.

#7 ·
No how to, but rather than beat the piss out of your arms and mar the press fit surface, do yourself a favor and rent a ball joint press. Makes the install pretty much painless. Not sure in Canada but here I can rent a press for a refundable $55 deposit at my local Autozone. So basically free as long as you don't break it.

Basic how to for ya:

0) pop axle nut cover off and break free axle nut
1) Jack up truck, remove tire
2) disconnect anything attached to spindle (tie rod, UCA, LCA, Axle, brake caliper, rotor, abs line) You can leave the wheel hub mounted in spindle
3) Remove spindle
4) Remove c clip from lower ball joint and soak in penetrating lube.
5) Grab beverage of your choice and let soak in for a bit
6) Get ball joint press out and find which cylinders fit ball joint/control arm mounting best.
7) Use press to remove balljoint: it will feel like nothing is happening at first but keep going until you hear loud bang, it will be mostly free at this point.
8) Remove one ball joint completely and clean LCA mating surfaces

Installing:
1) Apply a small amount of grease to mating surfaces
2) Reverse removal procedure

DONE! Good luck!

#9 ·
Thanks Glamis, just went along in my head while I read your reply as to what I did years ago to remove them. Just needed a refresher, guess I'm gettin old. Thanks man for the heads up. We can rent/borrow the joint popper tool up here btw, to be honest I can't remember renting/borrowing it last time, but I must of. Thanks again man. Good stuff.
Pidge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.