How To: Change Your Oil-05+ VQ40DE - Page 4 - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
umm I have a ?

well I just got a used frontier about 3 weeks ago and I changed the oil using this write up ( thanks ). Anyways the guy i bought the truck from said he was using castrol syntec blend. I changed it over to castrol syntec full synthetic. Anyways to my question. When I start my truck the oil gauge goes right to the middle of the gauge. once I start driving it stays right in the middle but once i come to a stop light the oil pressure drops back down to low. once I start going again the pressure goes back up to the middle of the gauge again. is this normal?

I have checked the oil dipstick three times to make sure there was enough oil in there and it shows that it is right at the top dot. any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampy View Post
well I just got a used frontier about 3 weeks ago and I changed the oil using this write up ( thanks ). Anyways the guy i bought the truck from said he was using castrol syntec blend. I changed it over to castrol syntec full synthetic. Anyways to my question. When I start my truck the oil gauge goes right to the middle of the gauge. once I start driving it stays right in the middle but once i come to a stop light the oil pressure drops back down to low. once I start going again the pressure goes back up to the middle of the gauge again. is this normal?

I have checked the oil dipstick three times to make sure there was enough oil in there and it shows that it is right at the top dot. any ideas?
If it's a 2005 this is normal. The gauge will fluctuate near low when idling and move up when accelerating. They changed them in late 05 or 06 to a dummy gauge (will only move if there is an issue).
#33 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 11:05 AM
Shift_lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB_05_NISMO View Post
If it's a 2005 this is normal. The gauge will fluctuate near low when idling and move up when accelerating. They changed them in late 05 or 06 to a dummy gauge (will only move if there is an issue).

thanks for clearing this up for me.
#34 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 02:25 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Nice write up Harsh

2006 Radiant Silver SE CC 5AT 4x4 @ 4540 Lbs. 158,000mi
Performance: UpRev Dyno Tuned (5 ECU Maps), WRP PSP - IMS - LWUD Crank Pulley, OBX Headers, Shiner Fab'd 2.25" Stainless High-flow Catalytic Converters, NRG Engine Torque Damper, Airaid CAI, Throttle Body Intercooler, Nismo 54*C Thermostat.
Suspension: OME608, Bilstein 5100, Calmini Shackles & Brake Lines, Deaver AAL, Titan Poly Sway-bar Bushings and Yokohama Geolander ATS 285/75r16D
Exterior: Shiner Fab'd Front and Rear DOM Bumpers, DIY 1.5" BL
14.506 @ 93.10 mph. 133,xxx mi. 245WHP 261WTQ & Paid Off

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=48787
2005 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8t - TT225 fuel injectors - Motoza Tuned.
Feel free to ask me questions!
#35 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Good write up, and I think I'll just take off the skid plate, until its dented and then I'll use the access panal.

I bought a Frontier right off the lot. The guy who sold it to me told me to use Nissan filters only. I am somewhat vehicle savy, and have always done my own repairs on cars, so I figured he was just saying that.

But, he did mention the reason to use Nissan Filters is because they have part of the filter that holds a tad of oil, and when you start your truck, it shoots it over the engine, which lubricates it right away. He said it has a pressure release valve in it or something of those words.

Can I just buy a fram and its the same deal, or should I spend the money and get a Nissan one. Can't imagine the $ is really any different.

Also, 3750 you recommend I change it for the 1st time? Typically I've done it every 4k or 5k. (depending on my car). I'm going to use the recommend oil. 5-30. Do you use regular oil or synthetic?

Finally, would you assume I could get the washers anywhere I get the filter, or should I grab like 10 or so from the dealer?

-Mark's '08 4x4 CC SE LB -
Current mods 3 ft. hybrid axe, shovel, ingenuity, Coors, Volant CAI, OEM fogs, 2.5'' front
Future mods: Revo II's, AAL (maybe), ARB front bumper, baby seat

Last edited by Glacier08; 11-19-2008 at 12:06 PM.
#36 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 05:04 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier08 View Post
But, he did mention the reason to use Nissan Filters is because they have part of the filter that holds a tad of oil, and when you start your truck, it shoots it over the engine, which lubricates it right away. He said it has a pressure release valve in it or something of those words.

Can I just buy a fram and its the same deal, or should I spend the money and get a Nissan one. Can't imagine the $ is really any different.

Also, 3750 you recommend I change it for the 1st time? Typically I've done it every 4k or 5k. (depending on my car). I'm going to use the recommend oil. 5-30. Do you use regular oil or synthetic?

Finally, would you assume I could get the washers anywhere I get the filter, or should I grab like 10 or so from the dealer?
He's talking about an anti-drainback valve in the oil filter, which keeps a little oil from draining into the pan. Any good quality filter like Wix, Purolator, Mobil1, K&N, Napa, etc. will have this feature. Although there's probably nothing too seriously wrong with them, I would not use a Fram. Oil Filters Revealed

I always change oil early for the first time so that any break-in particles or assembly byproducts don't swirl around in there too long. After that, any modern 5W-30 SM rated oil will perform well for 5K miles. Synth or regular dino oil is up to you and your operating conditions.

2008 CC SE 4X2 6MT AZTEC RED ALERT
Hellwig, Prothane, aFe ProDryS, Redline Tuning, Unistrut, Xport, Nokya HyperYellow H9, Philips Xtreme, Titan Diff Cover, Scangauge II, Superchips, Garmin Dock, Axle Vent...
#37 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Order your OEM filters online and you can get a 10 pack for around 65 shipped. Also get a set of crush-washers while you are at it and maybe an extra drain plug or two.

Also, keep your first change under 2k to make sure the break-in particles don't clog the filter.
#38 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 09:32 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

One other tip, courtesy of my stupidity: make sure that after you change your oil (after, of course, changing your wife's vehicle's oil) you MOVE THE 5gal BUCKET WITH @10.5 QTS OF OIL BEFORE YOU BACK THE FRONTY OFF THE RAMPS!!!!! Otherwise, your wife may take to calling you Captain Hazelwood after observing your oil spill.

That cleanup was NOT fun!

(no animals or wildlife were harmed in that incident, just my pride)

George
2005 SE CC Radiant Silver V6 4WD | ScanGaugeII | Volant CAI | SilverStar Ultra headlights | AVS Bugflector II & Ventvisors | OEM Foglights | Custom Exhaust w/MagnaFlow muffler | WRP Grounding Kit | RT QuickLift ELITE hood struts | Donnelly Temp/Compass mirror | OEM Sidesteps | UnderCover Tonneau cover|
#39 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 02:33 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HarshReality001
ramps? put a lift on the truck - no ramps needed....

2010 Corolla S Blue Streak Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by goody View Post
you might have the record as fastest to fubar'd
CarDomain / Gallery / LINXC

Check out my XC Road Trip Pics
#40 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Shift_lurker

Could someone with a factory service manual pls post torque specs for engine drain plug, transmission drain plug and pan bolts, and differential drain and fill plugs? I have an '06 two wheel drive. Appreciate it.

Last edited by Talkinghorse; 12-29-2008 at 09:13 PM.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > DIY - Do It Yourself / Tech Tips

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.