How-to Change Spark Plugs 2005+ Gen 2 Frontier - Page 3 - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 12:52 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinermiller View Post
ZERO Anti-Sieze on the stock plugs!!! I WAS PISSED!! ...
Arrrgh. Thanks for answering a question that I've not been able to get an answer for anywhere. I'll probably do mine at 30K Miles, even if I just remove them, apply anti-sieze and re-install the same plugs for peace of mind. I'll make a judgement call when I remove them as to replace them or not.

2006 SE CC 4x2 6-Speed 4.0L w/Power Package & ABLS, Red Brawn, Nissan Step Rails, Hood Protector and Soft Tonneau, Clarion CX501, Stock Speakers, Pioneer TS-T110 Tweeters and LED Reverse Lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 02:16 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Newman
how come you didn't go with the new diamond tip ones?

2006 LE
#23 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 02:47 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Per the service manual, spark plugs need to be changed out every 105k miles. I was wondering why such a long interval. They look easy to do. But seeing this post, I guess I did not look at those other cyclinders.

06 KC NISMO 4x4, 2" prg spacer front, Firestone riderite airbags rear, Schrockwrxs front engine skid, Custom sliders, Hidden hitch reciever, Deck plate Airbox mod/amsoil filter, Momo shift knob removed, back to 06+ nismo knob, 05 pathy flat black wheels, 265/75/r16 Tread Wright Sentinel with Kedge Grip, wireless door lock keypad, cargo light bypass, auto dimming rear view mirror with compass and temp.
http://mrpulldown.blogspot.com/
#24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 03:08 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 24 reviews
It isnt that difficult, seriously. The upper intake manifold comes off in about 30 minutes. Prob less, I just cant remember. There are 2 bolts on the passenger side and then like 8 bolts inbetween the runners and a couple bolts here and there but its really easy.

[COLOR="Red"]
#25 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 03:13 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Does the stock intake manifold gasket look the same as the one with the spacer as you show it?

'06 Majestic Blue 4X4 CC NISMO
Romik SS side steps, Extang Saber tonneau, Nissan deflector, Nissan waterproof seat covers, Scan Gauge II, Nissan rubber mats, Keyless entry pad, WeatherTech side window deflectors, AEM Brute Force intake, Rockymounts Clutch SD, Hella FF75 Blue, Nokya Hyper Yellow H11 fogs, Goodyear SilentArmor.
#26 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 03:34 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

My father (registered GM mechanic) told me the iridium/platinum spark plug intervals are a huge headache. He regularly has to bore and heli coil heads to fix seized plugs. A good suggestion he made to me was to take your plugs out and swap them around every 20,000ish km or every 3 oil changes to mitigate the issue. Seems to work pretty good and have never had any issues.
#27 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,190 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by callen81 View Post
My father (registered GM mechanic) told me the iridium/platinum spark plug intervals are a huge headache. He regularly has to bore and heli coil heads to fix seized plugs. A good suggestion he made to me was to take your plugs out and swap them around every 20,000ish km or every 3 oil changes to mitigate the issue. Seems to work pretty good and have never had any issues.
You should be able to do it once every 60,000 miles or so as long as you apply anti-seize to the threads. The plugs have to be removed from a cold engine to avoid damaging the aluminum threads in the cylinder heads.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zero Six LE For This Useful Post:
igbar (03-30-2009)
#28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 12:26 PM
Shift_Newbie

I just changed the spark plugs on my mothers 05 Xterra it has 103,xxx mile and the plug were pretty wore out but not terrible. The factory laser platinum plugs last that's why there $10 each. Also did the tune up with the a "warm" engine I let it sit for about 45 min. after driving. The Alum heads expands faster than the steel spark plug help make them a little looser. I would not do it on a hot engine or you might just bring the threads out with the spark plug. Also defiantly use anti-seize on the new plugs

Also change the plugs with out removing the intake it is very very tight. If you have fat or large hands there is no way you could change the plugs without removal of the intake manifold. You will need 2 or 3 swivels and a 10mm gear-wrench if you do the plug change without removing the manifold.

2004 Nissan Titan CC LE 4x4, superchips cortex, 2" leveling kit, Air Raid intake
2005 Frontier KC 4x4 SE 6 speed, agri-cover Lorado, 2" front leveling spacer, Jardine cat-back, Air Raid intake, Cortex tuner, Eclipse HU (SOLD)
2003 Nissan Maxima Ti edition 6 speed, 18" Altima SE-R wheels
1989 Jeep Cherokee 2 door 4.5" lift, 31"MT, 8000lb winch
2003 Suzuki Z400 sportquad (SOLD)
2005 Acura RSX Type S (SOLD)
#29 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Shift_Hardcore

would you say not removing the intake is worth the effort/time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyourface1650 View Post
an environmental debate is the LAST thing I expected on a car enthusiast forum. I say screw the trees, and lets burn some rubber.
#30 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 02:35 PM
Shift_Newbie

I would not take the manifold if you don't have to. It will reduce the chance of an intake leak later on and the cost of new intake gaskets. But if you don't have small hands I would definitely take the manifold off.

I just bought a frontier with 90,000 and I defintely won't take the intake off it now that I have done on before.

2004 Nissan Titan CC LE 4x4, superchips cortex, 2" leveling kit, Air Raid intake
2005 Frontier KC 4x4 SE 6 speed, agri-cover Lorado, 2" front leveling spacer, Jardine cat-back, Air Raid intake, Cortex tuner, Eclipse HU (SOLD)
2003 Nissan Maxima Ti edition 6 speed, 18" Altima SE-R wheels
1989 Jeep Cherokee 2 door 4.5" lift, 31"MT, 8000lb winch
2003 Suzuki Z400 sportquad (SOLD)
2005 Acura RSX Type S (SOLD)

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > DIY - Do It Yourself / Tech Tips

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.