How-To Change Automatic Transmission Fluid 2005+ Gen 2 - Page 7 - Nissan Frontier Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 152 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 05:07 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Okay, if you are over 30k, then don't flush. If the shop uses an outside source for its pressure, then don't flush. If they reverse flow the system, don't flush.

Basically, don't flush unless you have a bit of warranty remaining.

Nissan also released a TSB stating that their transmissions are designed to work flawlessly without the need for flushing but only draining and filling.

It is up to you thou. It has been documented that flushing the newer auto trans in nissans can cause issues. This happen to Toomnymods on CT and some others. We just havn't seen it a ton yet on the Frontier boards since most don't tow/race as much as the Titans do so we don't piss thru our clutch plates as quickly, lol.

Also, if you insist on flushing, only do it at the dealer so you don't have to worry about warranty claims being denied since you used an outside shop with equipment that isn't up to Nissans standards.

07 SE CC Auto
The Following User Says Thank You to dubie2003 For This Useful Post:
Zero Six LE (09-30-2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 152 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 02:41 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to midocr Send a message via Skype™ to midocr
Quote:
Originally Posted by knocker View Post
Quick question.
I have 06 4.0L. I went to local dealer to buy tranny fluid and they told me they don't make matic J fluids anymore and it's been changed to matic S. Is matic S safe to use on our truck? Dealer guy says it's same, but i don't trust them.
Anybody know the answer to this? What's the difference between the two? I just had the trans service done and they used the type S and couldn't give me a clear answer.

Mike

'05 Electric Blue Nismo CC

"If you're having fun....you're doing it right!"
post #63 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 06:35 PM
Shift_lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubie2003 View Post
Okay, if you are over 30k, then don't flush. If the shop uses an outside source for its pressure, then don't flush. If they reverse flow the system, don't flush.

Basically, don't flush unless you have a bit of warranty remaining.

Nissan also released a TSB stating that their transmissions are designed to work flawlessly without the need for flushing but only draining and filling.

It is up to you thou. It has been documented that flushing the newer auto trans in nissans can cause issues. This happen to Toomnymods on CT and some others. We just havn't seen it a ton yet on the Frontier boards since most don't tow/race as much as the Titans do so we don't piss thru our clutch plates as quickly, lol.

Also, if you insist on flushing, only do it at the dealer so you don't have to worry about warranty claims being denied since you used an outside shop with equipment that isn't up to Nissans standards.
Interesting Technical Service Bulletin from the "Filters Manufacturers Council", basically cautioning about flushing as well...

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/filter_man_council01.pdf

of course these guys are trying to sell filters but it does make sense what they're saying.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2wheelsforfun For This Useful Post:
Geaux504360 (10-05-2014)
post #64 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 06:52 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
When I was asking a few months ago I wanted to go with the flush because I figured if I change out all the tranny oil he'll be good as new. Well I'm glad I didn't. Called several service shops and asked how often they run a full flush on trucks and how often do people return back with problems. Got the "Eh.. not many.." kinda sheepish reaction A LOT. Go with the drain and fill, thanks guys, lol, he's good as new.

'06 QUEEN CAB 2WD
post #65 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 1,748 Times in 1,290 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelsforfun View Post
Interesting Technical Service Bulletin from the "Filters Manufacturers Council", basically cautioning about flushing as well...

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/filter_man_council01.pdf

of course these guys are trying to sell filters but it does make sense what they're saying.
Again, it's referring to transmissions that have not had regular fluid changes as the ones with the problems. I had mine flushed at the dealer with BG synthetic fluid and it's still smooth as butter 2 years later. I don't have any qualms about having it flushed again when the time comes. If flushing was so bad for transmissions, I seriously doubt if my Nissan dealer would provide that service on Nissans still under warranty. There is nothing wrong with drain and refilling but you still end up with a lot of old fluid mixed in with the new fluid at the end of the day.

Last edited by Zero Six LE; 11-11-2009 at 07:26 AM.
post #66 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 12:44 AM
Shift_lurker

Excellent write up! thanks for the efforts. Quick question, I am one of those lonely pathfinder owners on this forum, and I don't have the pathy lifted, so what would be the best way for me to drain and gauge the amount of fluid that comes out ? I can't fit a bucket under there, don't really want to put the truck on stands if I can help it. any thoughts ?

2006 Pathfinder LE
2008 Corvette C6
2002 Infiniti I35
post #67 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Plan on 5 quarts coming out of the pan. 5 qts is equvalent to 1.25 gallons. If you cut the tops off of two gallon milk jugs so they will fit under the pan, you should be good. Just keep an eye on it so the jug doesn't over flow.

To gage the amount of fluid that came out, measure the length and width of the container and how high the fluid is. Then, add that measurement to the other jug (if you used two). Take that number (which will be cubic inches) and divide it by 57.75 and that will be how many quarts of fluid came out.

Last edited by Ryan B; 11-11-2009 at 10:29 AM.
post #68 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 10:40 PM
Shift_lurker

Quick question - the manual and the OP calls for warming the car up to Idle before starting. Will the tranny fluid be extremely hot at that point ? Will it be too hot to open the drain plug without burning yourself? Looking to tackle this soon.

2006 Pathfinder LE
2008 Corvette C6
2002 Infiniti I35
post #69 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 1,748 Times in 1,290 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev1n View Post
Quick question - the manual and the OP calls for warming the car up to Idle before starting. Will the tranny fluid be extremely hot at that point ? Will it be too hot to open the drain plug without burning yourself? Looking to tackle this soon.
As long as you don't get it to operating temp by driving it several miles, you should not have to worry about burning yourself. It's a good idea to buy some Nitrile gloves to wear when draining fluids.

post #70 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 05:07 AM
Shift_lurker

Nissan J-Matic is standard Nissan transmission fluid.
Nissan S-Matic is synthetic Nissan transmission fluid.

AMSOIL recommends no flushing, but does suggest to fully replace old fluid with new that we use the bucket method. Remove hoses from the cooler and go from there, already written about here.

If only dropping the pan which is also an acceptable service method, do keep in mind that the trucks come with J-Matic fluid and a pan drop service should have more J-Matic fluid added.

Using synthetic when doing a pan drop service will result in a mixture of fluids that is roughly 60% J-Matic and 40% synthetic. I am unsure if this is a problem, or not ... my local transmission shop recommends that I use more J-Matic or equivelant.

An alternative to using synthetic is to add a friction modifier package such as LubeGuard. I use LubeGuard Black in my transmission and it is a very good addition. For me, this product stopped transmission shuddering and improved shifts.
Read more here: LubeGuard

Change the transmission fluid more often than you think you need to, it is way cheaper than changing a transmission.

I like anything that runs. Cars, trucks, bikes, boats, lawnmowers, etc...

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > DIY - Do It Yourself / Tech Tips

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.