How-To Change Automatic Transmission Fluid 2005+ Gen 2 - Page 13 - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#121 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 09:04 PM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ok, so I put six quarts back in the tranny, took it for a test drive. I had one hard shift when accelerating really fast, around 5.5K RPM. I sure hope it isn't leaking on the driveway in the morning...

2005 Nismo V6: axle vent mod, fog light mod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 1,509 Times in 1,129 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycofrontier View Post
Ok, some more follow up... I went to Napa to get a tranny gasket, but all they had was the filter kit, which has a gasket in it. No big deal I thought, until I dropped my pan and filter/strainer only to find that it is not a match. What I have doesn't look like what my service manual says I should have either. According to the service manual, what Napa gave me is correct. I plan on leaving the old gasket, which is unbroken, on the pan and just putting some sealant on the tranny. Hopefully that won't leak. Here are some pics of it all too. The fluid does smell burned too. The last pic is what Napa sold me, how my strainer should look.
The magnets look like what I normally see on the trucks we have on my job. We clean them like you did but they normally only have 1 large magnet instead of 2. At least them seem to work well capturing metallic wear particles.

#123 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 11:54 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Is there any other way to drain all of the fluid other than the start/stop/refill method? Possibly hooking an air compressor up to one of the lines at a very very low PSI?

2007 Frontier crew cab - Stock (for now)
#124 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 02:54 PM
Shift_lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnNBurn View Post
Is there any other way to drain all of the fluid other than the start/stop/refill method? Possibly hooking an air compressor up to one of the lines at a very very low PSI?

Anyone? Guy has a valid question and I too would like to know.
#125 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 12:30 AM
Shift_Newbie

air compressor? do it the right way, or dont do it at all.

I dont see compressed air blowing all of the ATF out of the transmission once fluid drops to a certain level. there will be air pockets everywhere.

Also, Ive been to several Nissan dealerships, and they all have said just draining/refilling the pan every third oil change is just as effective as a full flush.

08 fire engine red frontier. 80k mile range. 2* timing advance. OEM NGK iridium tipped plugs. K and N FIPK. Custom intake manifold spacer. Custom Magnaflow catback system with dual pipes/tips (1 in 2 out). Castrol edge w/titanium oil changes, K and N oil filters. Nissan matic S OEM tranny fluid. New BF goodrich OEM T/A tires. Truxedo tonneau. bed liner/extender. Chrome bumpers/grill/tailgate handle.
#126 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIVE WAR A CHANCE View Post
air compressor? do it the right way, or dont do it at all.

I dont see compressed air blowing all of the ATF out of the transmission once fluid drops to a certain level. there will be air pockets everywhere.

Also, Ive been to several Nissan dealerships, and they all have said just draining/refilling the pan every third oil change is just as effective as a full flush.
No way a drain and fill no matter how many times will equal a full flush. The fluid exchanger replaces all of the trans fluid at once. You can clearly see the difference between the old darker fluid and new clean fluid while the machine exchanges the fluid. I have had my trans flushed twice since I had my truck. have yet to do a drain and refill. You're always mixing old fluid with new on a drain and refill.

Last edited by Zero Six LE; 11-09-2012 at 10:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zero Six LE For This Useful Post:
GIVE WAR A CHANCE (11-11-2012)
#127 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 04:10 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

I don't see the big deal here. the flush method is so damn easy and it's in the FSM, you essentially take one hose off the rad cooler nipple and plug it, then install a 4 ft piece of hose on the Radiator nipple, start the engine and take about 4-6 qts out (about 1 1/2 - 2 mins) into a oil drain pan, shut it down and service it back full with the new fluid then do it it again and again until the fluid runs clean, it takes about 1 hour and I do it every two years. I use Castrol import ATF and it takes about 9 qts.

JLG2002
2005 Frontier LE with every option on it I could buy.
#128 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Shift_Newbie

Ive been just draining the pan and have contemplated doing a flush....whats up with the castrol jlg? Id love to use castrol which is what I use for everything else, but Nissan says not to use anything but their ATF. whats your take on that?

08 fire engine red frontier. 80k mile range. 2* timing advance. OEM NGK iridium tipped plugs. K and N FIPK. Custom intake manifold spacer. Custom Magnaflow catback system with dual pipes/tips (1 in 2 out). Castrol edge w/titanium oil changes, K and N oil filters. Nissan matic S OEM tranny fluid. New BF goodrich OEM T/A tires. Truxedo tonneau. bed liner/extender. Chrome bumpers/grill/tailgate handle.
#129 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 03:21 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to invasion08
When I went to have my trans flushed at Level Ten, they said the oem nissan fluid is the best. All said and done the flush cost $190.

PRG Basic Suspension Package
XTP IMS, Gibson Exhaust, Airaid Intake, UpRev Tuned
N-Fab Nerf Bars, Bakflip G2, Line X Bed Liner
#130 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invasion08 View Post
When I went to have my trans flushed at Level Ten, they said the oem nissan fluid is the best. All said and done the flush cost $190.
It's funny that the Nissan dealer I go to uses BG products universal ATF with their flush machine if that's the case.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > DIY - Do It Yourself / Tech Tips

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.