HID headlights? - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 10:45 AM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HID headlights?

Thanks to all on this forum for sharing so much great info with newbies! Am pondering the merits of HID headlights for my 2010 Frontier LE. I don't know if I have one bulb that works for both Hi & Lo or if its a 2-bulb arrangement. Plan on country roads in NE Pennsylvania and think brighter light would be better for my old eyes. How hard is install? Best left to a pro or do-able by homeowner/tinkerer? Brands, prices of kits?
N'other question too. Read here about first generation stuff; not sure what generation my new truck is, and to be frank, not even sure whether I've already got HID headlights. Hope you all can clue me in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 10:51 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Garage
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey a View Post
Thanks to all on this forum for sharing so much great info with newbies! Am pondering the merits of HID headlights for my 2010 Frontier LE. I don't know if I have one bulb that works for both Hi & Lo or if its a 2-bulb arrangement. Plan on country roads in NE Pennsylvania and think brighter light would be better for my old eyes. How hard is install? Best left to a pro or do-able by homeowner/tinkerer? Brands, prices of kits?
N'other question too. Read here about first generation stuff; not sure what generation my new truck is, and to be frank, not even sure whether I've already got HID headlights. Hope you all can clue me in.
Welcome to the club. Check out this thread, all the info you will need will be in here. BTW you have a 2nd gen truck (05+) and do not have HID's.
#3 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 10:54 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

SIMPLE:

Don't get them. Get better halogen light bulbs (they will not last as long, but will be slightly brighter).

If you DO want HID headlights, you basically have to redo the whole headlight assembly to get projectors that focus the light correctly. If you do not do this and just put in the bulbs in the factory headlight assembly, you will not have a high beam because you will need to aim the low beam way down to not blind people...which will in turn aim your high beam too low for it to be a high beam (you can't aim just the low and high because they both use the same bulb).

DO NOT DO IT.

2009 Nissan Frontier SE v6 CC 4x4 (with value package accessories and a few OEM extras) 6 year warranty 60month 0% APR, bought 2k below invoice price
#4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 10:57 AM
Shift_lurker

Thank you

Seems clear enough- sounds like OEM is the way to stay. Sure not looking to complicate my life. Appreciate your clarity and prompt reply.
Harvey A
#5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 11:05 AM
Shift_Hardcore
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to domoMKIV
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey a View Post
Seems clear enough- sounds like OEM is the way to stay. Sure not looking to complicate my life. Appreciate your clarity and prompt reply.
Harvey A
If you don't mind paying for it, there are places that will do the HID retrofit for you and it will come out looking nice and ready for you to put on the truck.
#6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 11:25 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

I have just bought a set of HID projector headlights off the ebay, i know many dont like the look of those but i bought them for the purpose of pojector beam. They look awsome at night and have a nice cut off beam so you dont blind the oncoming traffic. I have 55w kit installed in those @4300K temp.
#7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 11:32 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to wolfman437
The best thing to do is get a set of brighter halogen bulbs, such as the silverstar ultras or a set of PIAA's. They are a fair amount brighter then stock, and still give you good beam cutoff.
#8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 11:52 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
wow, such crap being posted here

the frontier headlights, both 98 to 04 and 05 and up DONT SCATTER LIGHT LIKE OTHER HEADLIGHTS FROM OTHER MAKES (MOSTLY HONDA AND CHEVY), our beam design focuses from the center out, so no matter what bulbs you put in, its still at the same angles as stock (projecting the same out-wards) and it still keeps a crisp cutoff line

get an HID kit from DDM tuning, they are 30 bucks and are so simple to install

and no matter what halogen you put against it, the HID will be brighter AND will last longer

HID Kits, BMW Aftermarket Bumpers & Lighting, DEPO - DDM Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman437 View Post
The best thing to do is get a set of brighter halogen bulbs, such as the silverstar ultras or a set of PIAA's. They are a fair amount brighter then stock, and still give you good beam cutoff.
silverstars usually comes standard in most vehicles newer then 06 or so and up, so it wouldnt be an upgrade itd be the same thing (they do not say sylvana on them, but they are made by them)

also, PIAAs use a higher wattage bulb to get more light output, ive been down this road, it FRIES your stock bulb sockets, so if you like replacing them every 4 months or so, then have at it

-Josh-

99 Nissan Fronterra XE V6 4X4
-3 inch lift, 33s and a lot of fab work-
AC, CalSHITTY, Ballistic Fab, Bilstien, KC, Shrockworks, L&P, SLR, Copperhead Fab, Pro Comp, Cherrybomb, K&N, RockHumperFab, Chaos Fab

Das build thread:
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f...a-build-53175/

Yeah, it's the new king of everything,
and b*tches don't say no to me, I'm like a wedding ring.

Thinking of buying from Calmini... look here:
http://www.nissanoffroad.net/message...p?topic=1321.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutabovetherest View Post
what's a gyno?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frijolero View Post
Don't lie josh, you know you like having a pair in your face and in your hands at the same time.

Last edited by fusionfronty99; 06-18-2010 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
The Following User Says Thank You to fusionfronty99 For This Useful Post:
Idleone (06-18-2010)
#9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 12:11 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionfronty99 View Post
wow, such crap being posted here

the frontier headlights, both 98 to 04 and 05 and up DONT SCATTER LIGHT LIKE OTHER HEADLIGHTS FROM OTHER MAKES (MOSTLY HONDA AND CHEVY), our beam design focuses from the center out, so no matter what bulbs you put in, its still at the same angles as stock (projecting the same out-wards) and it still keeps a crisp cutoff line

get an HID kit from DDM tuning, they are 30 bucks and are so simple to install

and no matter what halogen you put against it, the HID will be brighter AND will last longer

HID Kits, BMW Aftermarket Bumpers & Lighting, DEPO - DDM Tuning

silverstars usually comes standard in most vehicles newer then 06 or so and up, so it wouldnt be an upgrade itd be the same thing (they do not say sylvana on them, but they are made by them)

also, PIAAs use a higher wattage bulb to get more light output, ive been down this road, it FRIES your stock bulb sockets, so if you like replacing them every 4 months or so, then have at it
No this is plain misinformation. I know the 2010 headlight assembly does not work and does shatter and give horrible lighting from installing and uninstalling 2 different kits myself.

You have HIDs installed and currently use them?

Lastly, HID kits are not DOT legal and you can get an improper equipment ticket.

2009 Nissan Frontier SE v6 CC 4x4 (with value package accessories and a few OEM extras) 6 year warranty 60month 0% APR, bought 2k below invoice price
#10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I have some decent cut off lines in my 2008. My HIDs in stock housings actually disperse the light pretty evenly compared to the other cars i've owned.
I use the folds in the shop garage doors to align my beams.

---2008 SuperBlack SE 4x2 Autotragic---

Last edited by blackout08; 06-18-2010 at 12:26 PM.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > DIY - Do It Yourself / Tech Tips

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.