Heater doesn't work when its idling.Why not? - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 07:04 PM
Shift_Newbie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Heater doesn't work when its idling.Why not?

this just started happening after the dealer fixed an oil leak and replaced the left head and gasket back in early November...recently been needing to use the heat with the colder weather and noticed when im not moving..(idiling or in park) my heat blows cold air..even when the truck is warmed up...

Once i hit the gas and start moving the heat is blows nice and hot.

so anytime my heater is blowing hot air and i stop at a red light or stop sign it quits and cold air blows...

im not really sure what to check. i havent had time to stop at the dealer and have them check it out but any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 1,091 Times in 848 Posts
Garage
Air in your cooling system. It was not bled properly when they did the engine work. Fill your recovery tank before driving your truck next time. After you park it overnight, check to see if the level dropped. Keep filling the tank (cold engine) until the level no longer drops. At that point just fill to the appropriate level using the marks on the tank.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Zero Six LE For This Useful Post:
ffips (12-16-2009), Frontred (12-13-2010), kb3cgj (01-23-2010), RiverQT (02-11-2011), SMS1115 (01-23-2011), vedder012 (12-16-2009)
#3 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 08:18 PM
Shift_Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Six LE View Post
Air in your cooling system. It was not bled properly when they did the engine work. Fill your recovery tank before driving your truck next time. After you park it overnight, check to see if the level dropped. Keep filling the tank (cold engine) until the level no longer drops. At that point just fill to the appropriate level using the marks on the tank.
x2.....this same exact thing just happened to me!!! I would definately try the cooling system trick before anything else. Seemed to work awesome for me. I had to add fluid to the recovery tank twice, but its at the right level now and blows hot air when idling. The level in the tank will look correct at first sight, but if it has bubbles in the system they will make it apper that way.
The Following User Says Thank You to k_mcbride For This Useful Post:
vedder012 (12-16-2009)
#4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 08:20 PM
Shift_Newbie

alright cool guys, thanks for the help, ill try this tomorrow.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 08:27 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
nissans tend to collect air bubbles in the cooling system fairly easy and they like to get stuck in the heater core. this tends to happen over time too even without having service work like that done. just do as stated above or since it happend since work you had done the dealership has a special filling tool that they could use to try and get the rest of the air to purge out with. i'm sure they wouldnt have a problem doing it since the air got in during work they did and they never got it all out

07 Red Alert Frontier SE KC Auto: Nismo CAI, Custom 3in exhaust w/ flowmaster and 4in Silverline tip (3in from the y all the way back), BFG Rugged Trails, Python 990 Alarm w/ remote start and 1 mile range, ABS Bypass Switch, Front facing child seat.
08 Red Alert Xterra SE Auto: Stock
2011 Sentra SE-R Spec V 6 speed: Stock
92 240sx 5 speed: Stock for now

The Following User Says Thank You to colin123 For This Useful Post:
kb3cgj (01-23-2010)
#6 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Shift_Fanatic

could also be that since it is idling, the water pump is not pushing as much hot water through the heater core as it does when you are moving.

-d.o.u.g-
I've got one in the chamber
and two in the clip; doing
what i can to die on my feet.

08 Blue CC LE 4x4. Mods: removed front air dam. dirt.

and only paying $54 a month
#7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealDoug View Post
could also be that since it is idling, the water pump is not pushing as much hot water through the heater core as it does when you are moving.
That should not matter. When the cooling system has no air in it, the air would still be hot even at idle.

#8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 09:27 PM
Shift_Hardcore

I think you have an obstruction in the line that feeds the heater core. This effectively blocks the core when the water pump is at low output (idle).

The hypothesis that air the core is the issue is at odds with itself. Trapped air can be in the core, but it blows out with increased water pump pressure. It does not make sense that the trapped air re-establishes itself every time you reach a stop sign.

Another possibility is a heater valve that is stuck partially closed.

06 Nismo 6M 4X4 Blue
The Following User Says Thank You to CT_Nismo For This Useful Post:
Jordo (12-17-2009)
#9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Nismo View Post
I think you have an obstruction in the line that feeds the heater core. This effectively blocks the core when the water pump is at low output (idle).

The hypothesis that air the core is the issue is at odds with itself. Trapped air can be in the core, but it blows out with increased water pump pressure. It does not make sense that the trapped air re-establishes itself every time you reach a stop sign.

Another possibility is a heater valve that is stuck partially closed.
I would say it's either air in the cooling system or a bad water pump. I'd start with the air theory first.

#10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 09:43 PM
Shift_Newbie

well let me add this....after they fixed the oil leak i got home and noticed it now had a fast antifreeze leak...took it back to the dealer and the tech didnt tighten up a clamp on one of the hoses..this could be key to how the air got into the system.....?
The Following User Says Thank You to vedder012 For This Useful Post:
Zero Six LE (12-16-2009)

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > DIY - Do It Yourself / Tech Tips

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.