Heater Core Flush - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 02:19 PM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Heater Core Flush

I just recently put a new motor in my 2001 frontier s/c and the mechanic told me I needed to have my heater core flushed because it's clogged from a previous blown head gasket. The heater barely gets warm. I took it to a shop the other day and the guy said that he couldn't flush the heater core because he said there's nowhere for him on the truck to flush...or somethin like that. So what do I do/should I do now? Anybody else have this prob/solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 02:33 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
pull the heater core out of the truck and run some decent pressured water through it reverse from normal flow

07 Red Alert Frontier SE KC Auto: Nismo CAI, Custom 3in exhaust w/ flowmaster and 4in Silverline tip (3in from the y all the way back), BFG Rugged Trails, Python 990 Alarm w/ remote start and 1 mile range, ABS Bypass Switch, Front facing child seat.
08 Red Alert Xterra SE Auto: Stock
2011 Sentra SE-R Spec V 6 speed: Stock
92 240sx 5 speed: Stock for now

#3 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 03:04 PM
Shift_lurker

how do i pull the heater core out/where is it located in my truck?
#4 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 03:42 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
you'd have to check a service manual but it should be somewhere in the dash. i don't know much specifics on the first gens

07 Red Alert Frontier SE KC Auto: Nismo CAI, Custom 3in exhaust w/ flowmaster and 4in Silverline tip (3in from the y all the way back), BFG Rugged Trails, Python 990 Alarm w/ remote start and 1 mile range, ABS Bypass Switch, Front facing child seat.
08 Red Alert Xterra SE Auto: Stock
2011 Sentra SE-R Spec V 6 speed: Stock
92 240sx 5 speed: Stock for now

#5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 06:07 PM
Shift_Hardcore

To pull the heater core you'll have to pull the dash and everything under it, down to the structure. It's at least a double weekend job, w/a week of driving w/a wire tied guage cluster. If I pulled mine again I wouldn't replace it w/anything but a new unit. Massive hassle. Go to radiatorbarn.com. I'm happy w/the radiator I bought from them.

Run it 'till it breaks and fix it faster!
#6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 11:37 PM
Shift_lurker

can't i flush it by running water or air through the pipes going into the heater core?
#7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 05:40 PM
Shift_Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The two coolant hoses running into the firewall go to the heater core. The usual process is to drain the coolant, disconnect them and run water backwards through the heater core, blowing the material clogging the core out (hopefully). I'm not farmiliar with the 01's so I coudn't tell you which is the normal inlet or outlet hose.
#8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 07:37 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonzorizo View Post
can't i flush it by running water or air through the pipes going into the heater core?
You could try that but I'd be worried I'd just make matters worse. Especially w/air. The lines are a bear to get off, also.

Run it 'till it breaks and fix it faster!

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > DIY - Do It Yourself / Tech Tips

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.