Frontier vg33er v6 Knock Sensor replacement - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 11:15 PM
Shift_lurker

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Frontier vg33er v6 Knock Sensor replacement

2001 frontier s/c k/c 4x4

I need to replace my knock sensor but I don't want to tear the top of the motor apart, likewise I am doing the timing belt right now and when all the covers are off I can see the KS and could replace it if the thermostat housing is moved. The two top bolts I can get off but there are two bolts holding a metal heater line in the very back that I cant get to. other wise there seems to be room to replace the KS this way.

Has anyone heard of replacing the sensor like this before?

here is the motor front with no covers if I could remove the thermostat housing I can get to the KS

here is the KS behind the housing

Last edited by sr24087; 01-24-2011 at 04:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 12:08 AM
Shift_Obsessed
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You could also try the KS relocation. Mixed reviews for the S/C engines though. Good luck man.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 04:33 AM
Shift_lurker

Garage
pics are up, some one has to know if this way is possible
#4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 10:23 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Assuming you could get the knock sensor bolt free with some type of long air ratchet and a magnetic socket, how do you reach in there and separate the connector? I suppose one could find the wire routing in the engine harness and cut them. Then solder on extension wire and pull the knock sensor forward, bringing the connector and extended wires along. Then you could separate the connector when you can get your hands on it. I'm not sure if the wiring is connected at the rear of the engine with some type of clamp though.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Shift_lurker

I am to replacing the knock sensor in my 2001 Frontier V6. Does anyone know what the torque specs for the upper and lower intake manifold is. It's pain a real pain trying to find torque settings for these.

Thanks,

The Bean Man
#6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 12:13 AM
Shift_lurker

oh something tells me replacing this wouldnt be cheap if you cant do it yourself...sucks to be me it seems
#7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Shift_lurker

is it better to use a stock nissan sensor or is it better to use aftermarket
#8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 11:49 AM
Shift_Obsessed

This is interesting cause I have always wonder if this route was feasible. Nissan service removes the top of the engine.

Once you got the bolt out you can reach behind the engine and pull out the KS. Putting the KS back in though would be difficult to line up the KS and bolt with the hole.

2003 silver CC LB V6 SE non-s, leather, SPAL e-fan controller, nismo wheels, bed extender, alarm, e-fan, Nismo CAI, sunroof, nerf bars, knock sensor mod, interior courtesy lights, Rockford Fosgate Audio, oem trailer harness, Nismo CAT-Back, *My Best truck mod* children seats in rear.

My Write ups - e-fan, Nismo - CAI,Disable auto AC w/defrost,Engine Timing,How to work your 4x4,Throttle Body

Good Links -
Distributor Bearing Fix, Nissan Frontier Specs All Years,Intake Manifold Removal/ VG33E Top Engine tear down
Factory Service Manuals
#9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 04:17 PM
Shift_Hardcore

I don't see why it wouldn't work. That housing will come off, but the heater tube running to the back would be a pain. BTW, while you're in there for the timing belt it would be a good idea to reseal that housing, where it bolts to the block. These have been known to leak and it's a massive amount of work to do from scratch. Get it while doing the belt.

Run it 'till it breaks and fix it faster!

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > DIY - Do It Yourself / Tech Tips

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.