Front Hub Replacement - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front Hub Replacement

I'm new to the site and also pretty new to fixing my truck so I figure I'd run this by everybody here first.

I have a 2005 LE 2WD. I hear and feel a grinding on the driver side front tire. Two mechanics told me the bearing was wearing out.

I just ordered and received a new Nissan hub assembly from CourtesyParts Nissan. I have not taken the truck apart yet. I am just preparing and investigating.

The new hub has a stamped metal cup/cover on the side that faces in towards the engine. Is this permanent or do I have to remove it? It doesn't move at all with hand power.

On the wheel stud side, there is a 'hole' in the middle that is covered with a black membrane type material. Almost looks like it is poured in or heated in somehow. It feels pretty permanent.

I'm confused by all of this because when I look at the parts diagram and also the service manual it looks like the axle (I don't even know if that is the real name or not) should stick through the hub and then get an axle nut and cotter pin.

Is the diagram applicable to 2WD or 4 WD? Do I remove the metal cover? The black membrane stuff?

I popped the little plastic Nissan cover off the center of my drivers front wheel to see if I see an axle nut. I do not. It appears to be the same type of black stuff. Does that mean the hub goes on as delivered to me?

I called CourtesyParts but the guy on the phone didn't know what I was talking about.

It may become obvious once I take off the tire and brake stuff but I want to check here first.

Sorry for the long second post.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Assemble as-is. Old school hubs are repackage but new school Nissan crap is lubed for life.

07 SE CC Auto
#3 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 08:15 PM
Shift_Hardcore

What's up Mike... The stamped metal cover on the back side should be permanent, as these are sealed/no-maintenance items. Hubs are the same for 2 & 4wd, for a 4wd the axles go through the center, with yes an axle nut and cotter pin. I'm assuming the 'black membrane' is just there to cover the hole if the hubs will be used on a 2wd, otherwise you probably pop them out for the axles. Hope this helps!

2006 Frontier Nismo CC 4x4 AT

* Build Thread *

- BULLY DOG Tuned

- Airaid QuickFit / Custom Y / Flowmaster 'Original' 40

- PRG 2.5" Front Spacers / AC Adjustable Shackles / 2" BL

- WeatherTech Mats & Vent Visors / MTX Thunderform with Kicker shallow CVT

- MetroRestyling DIY Diamond Mesh Grille / Motorsport Tech Adapters / Titan 18x8's / Falken 265-70-18's
#4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Shift_lurker

Thanks, Dubie2003.

Does that mean once I get the brake caliper bracket removed I'll only have to remove the 4 bolts that hold on the hub? No axle nut to remove?
#5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Shift_lurker

Great, thanks Alpine Mike.

I may try it this weekend.

I'll report back later.
#6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam3631 View Post
Thanks, Dubie2003.

Does that mean once I get the brake caliper bracket removed I'll only have to remove the 4 bolts that hold on the hub? No axle nut to remove?
Yup, as easy as can be. I would also download the fsm from the sticky to ensure you have all the torques correct.

07 SE CC Auto
#7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Ive got to do mine tomorrow. Anyone know what size the axel nut is? To me its like SAM said 4 bolts on the back side, but dose one have to remove the upper ball joint to let the spindle drop forward to allow the shaft to slide out? I rember a write up on this, im gonna have a look for it, if I find it I'll post it here.

Found it, hope this helps. DIY - Replace Front Hub/Bearing Aeesmbly

Last edited by pidge; 06-09-2012 at 12:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to pidge For This Useful Post:
nitricacid (06-27-2012)
#8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Shift_lurker

Replaced the hub last weekend. The grinding is gone and so far so good.

The two pain in the neck parts of the project were getting the sensor connector disconnected and banging off the rotor. I guess it was baked on pretty good. I didn't know how hard I had to hit it w/the hammer.
#9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 05:45 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

what size was the hub axle nut? 32mm?

KEEP RIGHT PASS LEFT. What could that mean? Why are you blocking traffic by driving so slow in the left lane? Now get the HELL outta the way!!! Keep traffic flowing...Obey the rules of the road
#10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Shift_Hardcore

yes.
The Following User Says Thank You to pidge For This Useful Post:
nitricacid (06-27-2012)

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > DIY - Do It Yourself / Tech Tips

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.