Flush vs. Drain/Fill - Nissan Frontier Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 10:30 AM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Flush vs. Drain/Fill

I have searched but haven't quite found the answer I am looking for.

It is my understanding that doing a flush on an vehicle with high mileage is not recommended.

However, I have a 07 SE CC w/36k I just grabbed and I have no clue as to what the maintenance history is. The dealer changed the oil and "inspected and certified" it but nothing else (tranny, front/rear diff) wasn't done by the dealer. As a good measure on sanity and great feed from the forum, I am replacing all fluids with Amsoil.

My first question is, do I do a full flush or just multiple drain and fills as some have suggested?

Second, if doing the full flush (14qts?), do I drop the transmission pan and replace the filter as well?

Lastly, is it recommended to add an additive to the tranny? The Auto shop I would have do the full flush, highly recommended a BG additive in addition to the Amsoil. Not sure about that as I have not read anything on here about that as well as the owners manual.

All advise is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 12:14 PM
Shift_lurker

wrong section?

did I post this in the wrong section? Do I need to upgrade in order to post this in the appropriate section or get a response?

Mods any suggestions?
#3 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Just my 2 cents...

I will never do a Flush, new or used. After speaking to mechanic friends/reading & being screwed from GM after spending almost 70,000 on a truck, always dealer serviced and just 800 miles out of warranty did the dealer suggest a trans flush and 1 day after that the trans died...NO help from GM for the cost.
The Following User Says Thank You to JohninNJ For This Useful Post:
davisbry20 (04-15-2010)
#4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 12:59 PM
Shift_Obsessed

X2

I've never paid to have flushes done on any vehicle we've owned and have gotten over 230,000 Miles on all of them. If fluids are changed per the schedule, I think flushes are a waste of money. With only 36,000 Miles on your "new" '07, simply changing the fluids and filters should suffice. I can't address your automatic tranny query, as I've never owned one. Good luck to you and enjoy your ride!

2006 SE CC 4x2 6-Speed 4.0L w/Power Package & ABLS, Red Brawn, Nissan Step Rails, Hood Protector and Soft Tonneau, Clarion CX501, Stock Speakers, Pioneer TS-T110 Tweeters and LED Reverse Lights
The Following User Says Thank You to FitzIngarage For This Useful Post:
davisbry20 (04-15-2010)
#5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 01:10 PM
Shift_Obsessed

no "additive" needed. there just trying to make more money off you. i would, disconnect the trans lines from the cooler and drain out 4-5 qts, fill the trans, drain again, 3-4qts, fill, drain again 3-4 qts, fill. do that till the fluid being pumped out is nice and red as it should be and your GTG. no filter to replace on the trans.

05 LE CC 4X4. SUPER BLACK
The Following User Says Thank You to Mylt1 For This Useful Post:
davisbry20 (04-15-2010)
#6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Shift_lurker

thanks guys for the advise.

Drain and fill it is. I understand this process from all of the write-ups.

What about dropping the pan and replacing the filter. How does this work in conjunction with the drain and fill? I feel like I should change the filter as well?
#7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 01:28 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisbry20 View Post

What about dropping the pan and replacing the filter. How does this work in conjunction with the drain and fill? I feel like I should change the filter as well?

Me, I change filters, as for this truck I haven't had it long enough to do it as of yet but I will when the time comes.

#8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 01:29 PM
Shift_Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisbry20 View Post

There is no filter, there is a mesh screen that can be cleaned and reinstalled or replaced. But from what I gather, most people are leaving them be.

Maybe clean it out every few drain and fills? That's my plan anyway...

2006 Nissan Frontier SE CC 4.0 4X4 Black, Minnesnowda- USA
The Following User Says Thank You to basik For This Useful Post:
davisbry20 (04-15-2010)
#9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Shift_lurker

"no filter" ugh! I just ordered one last night from Amsoil. I thought that there was an internal filter, not just the screen. i guess i will have to see if Amsoil will take it back. Or if it's just a replacment for the actual screen, maybe I will just put it in anyway.

Thanks guys for the advice.

Oh...is there a write-up with pics on how to hook up everything for the D/F process mentioned above?
#10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 03:35 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Grabbed a service reccomendation shreadsheet from a local dealership while I was getting it serviced the other day these are their flushing reccomendations (in kilometres):

Oil Change & Inspection 6000k
Oil Desludge/Engine flush 24 000k

Brake service 30 000 K
Brake Flush 54 000K

Coolant Conditioner 24 000 K
Coolant Flush 48 000 K

Power Steering Flush 54 000 K

Transmission Flush 48 000 K

4x4 Service 54 000 K

2006 Nissan Frontier CC LE 4x4
265/70/R17 Goodyear Duratracs, Radflo 2.0 ext. travel coilovers, Total Chaos Fabrication upper arms, AC adjustable shackles, OME Medium leaf pack, Fabtech shocks
Volant intake with Amsoil filters, Superchips, modified Banks exhaust, DBA 4000 slotted rotors, EBC YellowStuff pads
Leer cap w/ Thule, SoloFabWorks sliders, XOSKEL lightbar w/ KC Daylighters

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > DIY - Do It Yourself / Tech Tips

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.