Nissan Frontier Forum banner

DIY Utilli-trac Tie Down Points

204K views 104 replies 81 participants last post by  R0B3RT 
#1 ·
Last week I was trying to figure out a way to make some semi-permanent mounting points for the utili-trac. This is what I came up with.

This mod is simple to do with 1 wrench and about $10's worth of hardware that can be found at Home Depot.

Items you will need:

Spring Nuts (can be found in electrical section of Home Depot)

Square Washers (can be found next to spring nuts)

2" Eye Bolts w/ nuts (found in hardware section)

The spring nuts and washers came in packs of 5 so I bought 1 package of each and 5 Eye Bolts.

Step 1: Assemble your materials

Step 2: tighten nut on eye bolt to about halfway up the threads, and place the washer on. Then thread the spring nut onto the eye bolt.

Step 3:Place your newly assembled part in the Utili-trac just like the stock adjustable cleats. Then while holding the eyebolt use a wrench (9/16 in my case) to tighten the nut on the eyebolt. Then you are ready to use

Step 4: Stand back and enjoy!

I have not done serious load testing on these yet, but I did drive around with them mounted for a week (4 days of which i was offroading down extremly bumpy roads) and they didn't budge. They are perfect for quick tie down points and don't look bad. Plus you don't have to worry about people stealing them (even if they did they are cheap to replace).

I hope you all enjoyed my first write up!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
My Shovel Holder

I look forward to seeing what people mount using these, I used the same washers and spring nuts along with a 1" bolt and a conduit holder to make a quick (and sturdy, I tested it) mount for my mini shovel. however it looks pretty cheap (IMO) so I'm planning to make something more presentable.

Attachments

#9 ·
I plan on making a few of these, but I couldn't find any Spring Nuts at the Local Home Depot (or Rona, or Totem, up here in Canada for that matter), so it looks like I'll need to order some online. Any tips on what to order? From what I can find on Uni-strut's website, it looks like there's 3 sizes of channel,s 13/16, 1 1/4, and 1 5/8, then various sizes of channel nuts from there. Since I won't be able to fit, and return easily, tips would be greatly appreciated.

#11 ·
thats pretty cool...all i need is the utility trac...haha

#18 ·
i have no use for them (my factory cleats are still in a box somewhere), but they are pretty cool, good job

#21 ·
i stood on top of one of the eyebolts for a few seconds and I weigh 185 pounds... didn't damage the utilitrack or bend the eyebolt. I would trust them to hold a dirtbike for sure, obviously a streetbike is heavier, but if you're using 4 tie down points i really don't see any issues, afterall each bolt is only holding a portion of the weight. I say, user beware. personally I would trust them.

#22 ·
Awesome, thank you ill head down to the hardware store! Never understood why the cleats are so dang expensive.

#24 ·
cuz this is more fun :willy_nilly:

I'm thinkin' CB antenna mount.

#32 ·
So I got around to making some for myself, but wanted to make them a little sturdier - more resistant to sheering or bending sideways. Here's what I came up with.

Started with two 3/8 by 1 1/4 inch bolts, 4 fender washers, 2 channel nuts, 3/8 eye bolt, 2 flange bolts, and a 2x6 tie plate. I coated the tie plate and top of the eye bolt with some auto underbody spray, might spray the washers down the road if I get the urge. Seem pretty darn sturdy, mostly gonna use em to tie my bike down. I made 6 so far, probably make 2 or 4 more.

Thanks for the inspiration!

#33 ·
That's a big tie down, good idea though! But couldn't you just use a few more fender washers to give it more strength? I think I used 5 or 6 fender washers to make a fishing rod holder and it was ridiculously strong. The utili-track would start to move/bend before my holder would even budge.

#35 ·
I have posted in the past how to use the same stuff to mount a high lift jack real cheap.

#37 ·
A little off topic, but anyone have an idea on how to make one semi-permanent? My buddy has his road bike and it's locked to a cleat, but obviously it can easily be removed still. He's hesitant to cut into the bed, so if there's one I can do with a more deterrent way that some jerk with a leather man or a small toolkit can't get to, i'm all for it.

I'd thought about doing this with a torx bit, but that wouldn't be terribly hard either. He doesn't leave the bike there more than a few hours at a time, he can usually see and hear it, but just in case he has to run into a store or something. I might try to do something similar for him, maybe with loctite as well, not sure yet. We just need enough clearance for his cable lock to go around the rear of it.

#39 · (Edited)
I plan on making a few of these, but I couldn't find any Spring Nuts at the Local Home Depot (or Rona, or Totem, up here in Canada for that matter), so it looks like I'll need to order some online. Any tips on what to order? From what I can find on Uni-strut's website, it looks like there's 3 sizes of channel,s 13/16, 1 1/4, and 1 5/8, then various sizes of channel nuts from there. Since I won't be able to fit, and return easily, tips would be greatly appreciated.

They're by the conduit and stuff. I've found the 1/4 and 5/8 threaded. I've found the "coned" nuts at Lowes (has a cone rather than a Spring) but I prefer the spring as the cones are easy to come off. I've also used the spring nuts to secure my tool box to the bottom mounted utilty rack. I drill 4 holes through the bottom of my tool box, position the spring nuts, insert a winged bolt through a large washer, then through the tool box and into the spring nut. Holds it secure.

#40 ·
I will put my contribution to this thread. Please excuse the quality of the pics. Hopefully soon I will have a really good camera.

Here are the parts themselves:

Here are the tools I used:

The eyebolts are 3/8 x 4" long. I didn't want them sticking out so far so I cut 3/4" off the end. I used the file to remove the burr left from the hacksaw. Be sure to leave the nut on the eyebolt so when done you have a way to reset the threads if necessary:

The nuts springs are obviously too long. I cut them to 1/4 from the nut using my Leatherman. Then I used the needle nose on the Leatherman to bend the end of cut wire so it wouldn't dig in when it was either installed or removed:

In case there is any question as to how to install them, face the spring into the track, push in with the nut facing horizontally and turn them towards the trimmed corners. Slide them to where you want them, insert the eyebolt thru the square washer with the nut on the outside of the washer. Screw in to nut as deep as you want and then tighten the eyebolt nut to the square washer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.