Nissan Frontier Forum banner

DIY: Rear Wheel Stud Replacement Step by Step

28K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  cps 
#1 · (Edited)
This is really easy! You can do it with a few tools.

AS THE TITLE STATES, THIS IS FOR THE REAR ONLY

Tools: 1/2" torque wrench, 3/8" torque wrench (optional), deep Metric socket set (both 3/8" and 1/2" drives), regular household framing hammer, 1/2" ratchet, 3/8" ratchet, Lisle 22800 wheel stud install tool (optional), 4-5 flat washers

****PURCHASE YOUR NEW STUD\S IN ADVANCE, PUT STUD\S IN THE FREEZER FOR AT LEAST 12 HOURS****

(This will make the stud shrink, making step 9 easier)

Safety first, don't be a dumb a**! I can not be held responsible if you or your truck get damaged!

1) chock front wheels, lift truck by rear differential, place 2 jack stands under axle, lower onto jack stands

2) remove one or both rear wheels

3) remove the brake caliper from caliper bracket (2 smaller bolts) and tie it up to the leaf spring to keep it out of the way

4) remove the caliper bracket (2 larger bolts)

5) slide rotor off studs

6) use normal household framing hammer to knock out the broken stud. It takes about 2-3 good swings and it will pop out the back side. You do NOT need to press the broken studs out as they take minimal effort to tap out. Also, you will NOT damage your wheel bearings using a hammer, you are not putting that much pressure on the bearings with each swing.

7) go grab your frozen stud\s out of the freezer

8) install one frozen stud from the back side, align the new stud with the grooves cut by the old broken stud

9) use a Lisle 22800 wheel stud tool and a NEW lug nut (best option as this tool keeps the studs perfectly straight) or grab 4-5 flat washers and a NEW lug nut; now tighten the NEW lug nut until the head of the new stud is pulled flush with the backing plate of the axle. See picture of the tool

Auto part Rotor Wheel

10) repeat steps 8 and 9 for multiple stud replacement

11) slide rotor back onto the studs

12) install caliper bracket and torque both bolts to 76 ft lbs

13) install caliper to caliper bracket and torque both bolts to 24 ft lbs

14) install wheels and torque lug nuts to 108 ft lbs

15) lower truck, and now your done!

Enjoy,

CPS

See less See more
#5 ·
No problem, my write up is exactly how I changed out 2 studs on the left rear position! I pretty much do all of my own mechanics, but I ended up taking my truck to the dealership because I felt a vibration in the rear axle. They removed the left rear tire to inspect the axle. Three months later, I did my 7500 mile rotation and 2 lug nuts were seized. Took it home, snapped them off, and replaced the studs. I didn't want that dealership to touch my truck after that!

Thanks, my 720 was a lasting impression of Nissan quality! I have now owned 9 Nissan vehicles over the past 25 years.

CPS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.