Nissan Frontier Forum banner

DIY: LED 9007 headlight installation (Lifetime LED brand)

172K views 246 replies 37 participants last post by  94F350 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, so I just unboxed my LED headlights from Welcome to Lifetime LED Lights - guaranteed for life. These are part # 9007.

These headlights were very well packaged with great protection. Only thing missing was installation directions, but I think I can figure it out!

Fictional character Technology Toy Vehicle

The LED light drivers are made of aluminum. All electrical connections appear to be water tight with heat shrink tubing. The connector from the light driver to the LED bulb is threaded steel.

Wire Machine

Cable Adapter Electrical connector Electronic device Technology

The actual LED headlight is very solid as the entire body is made of aluminum. The rear fan cover appears to be stainless steel and the wiring going into the light appears to be water tight.

Auto part Automotive lighting

Auto part

***VERY IMPORTANT, PAY ATTENTION TO MY "CPS Install Page 5" AS THERE IS SOME VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT CAN SAVE YOUR HEADLIGHT HOUSING***

Enjoy,

CPS

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Follow these directions for best results. If you need help let me know. The white retainer clip is going to need some minor modification as follows:

This is a retainer clip before mods

You will cut the 3 tabs off

After you cut the 3 tabs off, you will need to slim it down a little bit to fit on the bulb. To do this I used a sanding block I had laying around for my home projects. Sand the side that the tabs used to stick out on, only do a little bit at a time. Make sure its sanded even and level. See next step before sanding too much

Now...The piece in my hand comes off the bulb. All you have to do is twist it and slide off.

Once you sanded a little, test fit the retainer on the bulb and try to put the piece back on like so. Should be snug but loose enough the retainer clip will turn/spin.

For installing the bulb into the housing you want to make sure the lo beam LED is on top and the hi on the bottom. I believe to do this the wire that come out of the bulb needs to point down.

All done! Turn them on and enjoy! :goodjob:

#3 ·
Updated, I removed my airbox to give me more working room, which is something I recommend otherwise you will spend just as much time fighting to get the bulb in there. Might have more room with stock airbox than I do with my Volant Intake.

#10 · (Edited)
CPS Install page 1

Materials needed:

Drill bits (3/32") and stainless steels screws (#4 X 1/2" Stainless Steel)

Magenta Material property Transparency

Sandpaper (60 and 100 grit) and CLEAR silicone

Material property Technology Electronic device Transparency

#11 · (Edited)
CPS Install page 2

Before with OEM halogen

Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Grille Automotive tire

After with LED headlights

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Nissan

These LED headlights are around 2 times brighter than the original halogen bulbs. The color is bright white with a slight tint of blue (not much at all)! They are VERY bright....don't look directly into the headlight housing as it will temporary blind you (I did that)! I will have to check them out tonight and get some night pictures.

#13 · (Edited)
CPS Install page 4

I removed both the battery and the air filter housing to give me added room for pictures and installation! (I highly recommend doing this)

Headlight before install driver side (these are aftermarket TYC brand headlight assemblies)

Auto part Light Automotive lighting Engine Vehicle

Headlight before install passenger side (these are aftermarket TYC brand headlight assemblies)

Auto part Automotive lighting Vehicle Headlamp Car

Completed driver side headlight (this is what it should look like when you are done)

Auto part Motor vehicle Vehicle Engine Car

Completed passenger side headlight (this is what it should look like when you are done)

Auto part Vehicle Engine Car Automotive exterior

#14 · (Edited)
CPS Install page 5

White retainer ring with 3 tabs cut off (I used a hack saw for this step)

Hand Finger

Use 60 grit sandpaper on the floor to remove the bulk of the plastic, then use the 100 grit to clean it up before the install. Take your time and remove at little at a time, then check the fitment.

Circle

What it will look like before and after

Lighting Plastic

The actual measurement of what should be left on the retainer ring after sanding (test fit on LED headlight)

Finger Hand Nail

***PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO THIS PART CLOSELY, OR YOU WILL BREAK OFF A TAB ON THE HEADLIGHT HOUSING***

If your white retainer ring locks ALL the way to the right and it is snug, DO NOT sand down the black base mount with the red washer, and there is no need to continue reading the following paragraph!

But, if you can ONLY turn the white retainer ring halfway, and then it stops moving, then continue reading below, as you will need to sand a little off the back side of the black base mount with the red washer. DO NOT FORCE IT, the tabs on the headlight housing will break off! I have aftermarket TYC brand headlight assemblies, mine are not OEM Nissan brand. So again, check to see if your white retaining ring locks, before sanding the black base mount with the red washer!

The original halogen headlight base plate is thinner than the removable base plate that comes on the LED headlight. The removable base plate MUST be sanded down as well for the white retainer ring to completely lock the LED headlight in place. Look at the picture below to see how much I sanded off (one on the left is unsanded, one on the right is sanded). If you do not sand down this removable base plate, you will break off a mounting tab off of the headlight housing assembly because it is WAY to tight to completely lock. I had to use super glue and glue 1 of the 3 tabs back on the headlight housing because I didn't realize the bases where different thickness (learn from my mistake)! You need to ONLY remove a little at a time, then test fit in headlight housing, then repeat, each side is a little different so do each one separately! This will take you some time, don't rush it, take your time!

Hand Finger Knockout punch

#15 · (Edited)
CPS Install page 6

Back of the LED close up (fan)

Auto part Engine Fuel line Tire Automotive tire

I used silicone to seal around the wires going into the LED Light Driver, just added protection!

Auto part Engine Motor vehicle Vehicle Fuel line

Installed close up picture of the LED Light Driver. Use a Sharpe to mark your 2 holes for the LED Light Driver. Use a punch to dimple the steel so your drill bit doesn't walk. Use your 3/32" drill bit and make your holes. I ended up using the #4 by 1/2" stainless steel screws (FYI, #4 screw is the ONLY screw that will fit through the holes on the Light Driver). I prefer stainless because I hate rust!

Auto part Vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design Car

I used black electrical tape to keep the plug and socket together as they where a little too loose for my liking (make sure you clean off the dirt before taping), I also filled the blue male plug with silicone to keep the water out! More added protection

Auto part Wire Technology Electronic device Cable

#17 · (Edited)
Thanks, I am still adding text to my pictures so make sure you go back through my install. Finally time for lunch!

I will get night pictures tonight!

CPS

#18 ·
I just ordered my H11 fog lights too!

I liked these LED headlights so much, I had to order the H11 LED fog lights to match.

So in 8 days, I will do a write up on the LED fog lights!

CPS

#63 ·
#24 · (Edited)
not sure why you sanded the black piece (ring with red rubber gasket) that come off the LED light. I only had to sand the white retainer clip and everything is locking in place perfectly. It appears as you sanded the retainer clip unevenly.

#25 ·
not sure why you sand the black piece that come off the LED light. I only had to sand the white retainer clip.
JB'sFrontier,

I replaced both my OEM Nissan headlight assemblies with aftermarket TYC headlight assemblies about 6 months ago, so maybe they are slightly different. I also sanded the white retainer clip as well, but I could not get the white retainer clip to fully LOCK to the right. The 3 tabs on the headlight housing would only go up halfway, then stop. So, I sanded down the black piece about a MM, and that gave me the extra room I needed to fully lock the retainer clip.

I figured all this out after I broke off 1 tab on the driver side headlight assembly. I used industrial grade super glue to glue it back on, but it was a royal pain in the a**!

I will correct my post to include "check to see if your retainer clip locks fully before sanding black LED base mount".

Thanks again for all your help,

CPS

#30 ·
Just a confirmation on going back to halogens...I read you can go back, just want to confirm I could say do a quick roadside swap if it went out on the way to work at say 3am. If so, I don't see any real issues. Keep the old halogen assy in the glove box and swap if they go down?

#32 ·
I'm just curious but how long is it taking people to receive these. I'm now considering them. Any shipping delay?

#33 · (Edited)
Good question. I'm considering these myself.

And as always a good amount of research has been done from this keyboard about these.
Which brings me to this: CREE Kit 9007 HB5 Pack of 2 LED Bulbs 25W 1800 Lumen Bright Headlight Upgrade 5K | eBay

I noticed that Welcome to Lifetime LED Lights - guaranteed for life also lists "CREE" products.
I wonder if that's where they get their lights (from CREE) or how they are affiliated.

My findings from a little research consider the following information knowledge for the database on here:

Regular bulbs (OEM)
1550 lumens, 650 hours

Long Life:
1460 lumens, 1200 hours

Ultra Long Life (e.g. Osram "Light@Day"):
1430 lumens, 3000 hours

Plus-30 High Efficacy (Osram Super, Sylvania Xtravision, Narva Rangepower+30, Tungsram High Output, Philips Premium or High Visibility):
1700 lumens, 350 hours

Plus-50 Ultra High Efficacy (Philips VisionPlus, Osram Silverstar, Narva Rangepower+50, Tungsram Megalicht, but not Sylvania Silver Star):
1750 lumens, 350 hours

Plus-80/90 Mega High Efficacy (Philips Xtreme Power, Osram Night Breaker):
1780 lumens, 340 hours

Blue coated 'extra white' (Osram CoolBlue, Narva Rangepower Blue, Philips BlueVision or CrystalVision, Tungsram Super Blue or EuroBlue, Sylvania Silver Star or Silver Star Ultra, Wagner TruView, also PIAA, Hoen, Nokya, Polarg, and all the rest of the blue-glass junk):
1380 lumens, 250 hours

(Disclaimer: Lumens above are approximates from manufacturer and hours are estimated)
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am currently running Silverstar Ultras which to my eyes were an improvement over stock (must be the color since lumens are lower). I have them in the headlights and driving lights both. As you can see as the lumens go up the lifespan goes down (for the most part). I like the 30,000 hour lifespan these LEDs boast. I do wonder what the fade rate is compared to conventional bulbs. Meaning 30,000 hours is great and all but if they lose half their light output 200 hours in on useage that's not good.

Now my question, for those running these lights, has anyone been flashing you assuming you have high beams on?
I'd love better lighting for this time of the year when daylight hours are less than 9 (most of which I spend at work during the week).
I don't want to be driving around getting flashed for high beams all the time or blinding oncoming motorist.

Thanks for the write up Chris and JB for your contributions as well.

#35 ·
I received mine directly from Lifetime. I got the shipping confirmation number same day of purchase, 6 business days later, there was a package on my door step (New York to San Antonio Texas is a long trip).

I ordered my fog lights yesterday and I got a shipping confirmation 5 hours later, so depending on that crazy a$$ weather they are having up there, they should arrive in 5 more business days.

I hope this help,

CPS

#37 · (Edited)
Todd, I drive 25 miles one way to work, and when I get off its dark!

I was driving down the 4 lane highway last night, and NO one flashed me at all! I did notice how these LEDS "light up" the stop signs, speed limit signs, overpass signs, ect...I mean these road signs are very vivid when LED light is directed towards them.

Only time will tell, but I really do thank these lights are going to last a long time.
And that's why I ordered the fog lights to match!

No problem at all on the write up (with JB'sFrontier help of course),

CPS

Todd, stop teasing yourself and order your new wonderful bright LED headlights!

Remember these smart words, "it's always easier to ask for forgiveness, than it is to ask for permission"

If your married, you will understand this!

CPS

#45 ·
I ordered headlights and fog lights Thursday night. They will be at my house Monday when I get home. NY to MI. I used the fish15 discount code too. I can't wait to see the difference between the PIAA's and the LED's.

I would like to thank John and Chris for finding these and the right ups with all the info. Awesome Job guys.

#48 ·
So, after seeing how nice these looked on your truck, I decided to buy the 9007 for mine. I'm curious to know how bright it is to oncoming traffic? It looks like this LEDs put out some Serious lumens. I see it makes your headlamp assembly practically turn into the sun.
You've still been OK with no one flashing you or blinding anyone?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.