Dan's Gear Install Thread - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 08:06 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dan's Gear Install Thread

So I decided to get some 4.56 gears for my truck. I am running 33" tires, and 4.10 might have been more appropriate, but my main use of the truck is off-road rock-crawling so I decided to just go for it.

I've been driving around on the freeway with my overdrive off to get an idea of what it will be like with the 4.56 gears, and it's not too bad at 65-75 MPH. I'm sure my MPG will go even lower than it already is, but I can live with that....

I got them from here:

https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/nissa...bf9ki9givi31q7

https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/nissa...56-p-6715.html

Also picked up the install kits and a yoke for the M205.

I will be putting up some pictures of the parts as I get them. I will be attempting the install myself, so hopefully there will be lots of pictures and maybe even a video.

Stay tuned....

Last edited by dan826; 02-19-2013 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
The Following User Says Thank You to dan826 For This Useful Post:
x_mods (03-01-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 09:46 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Update....

So I started to work on the gears today. So far I've got the axle shafts removed, and got the diff itself out. Tomorrow I'll get the pinion gear, yoke flange, and associated bearings/races removed. I'm making a video as I go along. Here's some pictures of the messs:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1661.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	374.1 KB
ID:	41175   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1665.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	358.8 KB
ID:	41176  
The Following User Says Thank You to dan826 For This Useful Post:
x_mods (03-01-2013)
#3 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 11:36 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Premium Member

Thanked 1,071 Times in 674 Posts
Ooooh, looks like fun. Can't say as I miss that smell, especially with the friction modifiers : /
You putting lockers in it too or just sticking with the open front and rear e-locker?
Curious to see what it does to your mileage, can you update when you get some miles on it as well as the difference it makes on the trail?

Don't forget to vote for May Truck of the Month
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f...-month-136274/

2014 Pro-4x Graphite Blue:
Radflo 2.0s w/650# springs, PRG UCAs, 285/75/16 Toyo MTs, Deaver AALs, 5125s, BDGT, Airaid Quickfit CAI, WRP crank pulley, Magnaflow ss 15580, Shrock front winch bumper, sliders and t-case skid, X2O 8 Comp, Factor 55 Pro Link, BTF diff cover, 20" LED light bar, LED map, lic, cargo and BU light conversion, 7-pin relocation, Cobra LX 29 cb

Coming soon:
DT shorties, new DB kit, custom rear suspension goodies from the old rig and everything else...

Nomad's Next Generation
Nomad's Custom BBQ Build You will be missed RIP
DB Lifts; The Good The Bad and The Ugly
#4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 11:25 AM
Shift_Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad 13 View Post
Ooooh, looks like fun. Can't say as I miss that smell, especially with the friction modifiers : /
You putting lockers in it too or just sticking with the open front and rear e-locker?
Curious to see what it does to your mileage, can you update when you get some miles on it as well as the difference it makes on the trail?
Just keeping the e-locker. There is no locker for the m205 available yet.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 01:38 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

cool man keep this thread going! I'm just about to do my axle seals, can you access the snap rings without removing the diff?

05' nismo 6speed 4x4, ARB air locker, T-Swapped, M205, 4.56 gears, 35" BFG AT KO's, K&N CAI, IMS, TBS, uprev, Shrocked front, Sliders, under armor, 2" BL, Heim outer tie rods, dual batteries, ARB compressor, shackles, bastard leaf pack, Borla Dual Exhaust Build, Rear Bumper Build
#6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveacigar View Post
cool man keep this thread going! I'm just about to do my axle seals, can you access the snap rings without removing the diff?
There are no snap rings, at least in the locked m226. It was actually pretty easy to pull out the axles. I got it all on video which I'll be putting together later. Basically you just have to remove the brake caliper and rotor, and then there are four nuts behind the hub that you remove, and then you can pull it out with whatever tool you have (I just put the drum back on backwards with some lug nuts and used it as an improvised slide hammer and it came out in 2-3 whacks).
#7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 02:52 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

A little off topic..

Hey Dan,

Did you ever post the video of you installing the M205 front diff? I really enjoyed watching your Titan swap video and I look forward to the re-gear video too!!

Bradley
#8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 02:52 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan826 View Post
There are no snap rings, at least in the locked m226. It was actually pretty easy to pull out the axles. I got it all on video which I'll be putting together later. Basically you just have to remove the brake caliper and rotor, and then there are four nuts behind the hub that you remove, and then you can pull it out with whatever tool you have (I just put the drum back on backwards with some lug nuts and used it as an improvised slide hammer and it came out in 2-3 whacks).
Sweet! Much easier than I thought.

05' nismo 6speed 4x4, ARB air locker, T-Swapped, M205, 4.56 gears, 35" BFG AT KO's, K&N CAI, IMS, TBS, uprev, Shrocked front, Sliders, under armor, 2" BL, Heim outer tie rods, dual batteries, ARB compressor, shackles, bastard leaf pack, Borla Dual Exhaust Build, Rear Bumper Build
#9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 03:54 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploobr View Post
Hey Dan,

Did you ever post the video of you installing the M205 front diff? I really enjoyed watching your Titan swap video and I look forward to the re-gear video too!!

Bradley
No because I ran out of memory and didn't catch half of the switch. I'll be pulling the m205 out again to do the gears in the front, so hopefully I'll be able to get the other half.
#10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 09:55 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Hit a snag

I hit a snag on my gear install. Because I have a locker, I need a spacer that goes between the gear and the carrier assembly. For some reason Superior has always had a tough time getting the holes on that spacer to align (not sure why, doesn't seem like a difficult thing to do). You also needed to double up on the spacer in order to get the right width.

Steve from rugged rocks talked to the guys from Superior and got the specs to make his own spacer that is the right thickness so that you don't need to double up. Unfortunately the specs were slightly off and so the holes don't align (the old Superior spacers didn't quite align either, but the holes were big enough that you could make it fit).

Steve was real cool and came out to my house to see what the issue was. We compared the spacers and the gears and measured enough to be able to fix it. He's gonna hopefully get me a working spacer in a day or two.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > DIY - Do It Yourself / Tech Tips

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.