Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Correct way to "burp" cooling system? (Search produced conflicting advice)

24K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Dark Night 18 
#1 ·
Hello,everyone. I did in fact search, and found many threads on this issue. However there were different ways to do it, and some people even contradicted what they said in the instructions they gave.

So far I've found:

1. Burp with the no spill funnel.

2. Burp with no spill, BUT clamp off two hoses. (Picture provided showed two yellow clamp things. For the life of me I can't find these things)

3. Open rad cap, fill rad, then fill reservoir and your done.

4. DO NOT open rad cap, fill reservoir and your done.

(Both 3 and 4 had variations of elevate front end/don't elevate front end.

5. Check coolant in reservoir .... engine cold and running (later on in post person said to add fluid to reservoir when hot and running.

And to further complicate things, the factory service manual says host to do any of these things, but to use some Venturi type thingy (pull vacume?) to bleed/fill system.

At one point or another people have tried all of these methods with success, and also with failure.

My dealer burped my system last year. I don't know what they did but I need to do it again.

Are there in fact that many different ways to bleed the system? Or is it like math I.e 2 plus 2 equals 4 no ifs ands or buts??

Thanks in advance!

Btw I have a no spill funnel. I'd like to buy the yellow clamps things but don't know what they are called. I googles cooling system hose clamps and all I got was the metal clamps used to connect hoses to barbs, etc.

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
I think the main take away is that the reservoir is checked with the engine running. I filled mine to the full mark with the engine running, went and parked on a hill and let the truck run for a few minutes, went home and parked. the next day I added some more to get it to the full mark and parked on a hill with the engine running for a bit. I have heat at idle..

#4 ·
I can only share my experience. When my dealer burped my first Frontier (2011), they put my front tires on the lift, lifted the front a couple of feet, popped the radiator cap and let it run. Once the air burped out, they topped it off, closed it up and off I went. I watched it through the window.

I have done the same thing with my two Frontiers since then using drive up ramps in my driveway with 100% success.

Reactions: ssundet
#5 ·
Similar for me (on all my vehicles). I jack up the front, take off the radiator cap (or coolant cap if none), add coolant, keep engine running, add 50/50 as the level drops, until full.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.