Charcoal canister purge valve P0447: Safety inspection pass? - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Charcoal canister purge valve P0447: Safety inspection pass?

We don't have smog tests for state inspection here, just safety inspection. On the inspection paper they do have an "O.K." checkbox for emission control and fuel system. If I have a check engine light on will they even check the code?

If they do check the code and it is listing "P0447: EVAP EMISSION CTRL SYSTEM VENT CTRL CIRCUIT OPEN" will they even care? Or is that enough to fail it on a Virginia safety inspection?

On a local inspection stations website they list two related things they do: 1: "INSPECT AIR POLLUTION CONTROL SYSTEM (1973 and Subsequent Models) FOR: Installation and operation. Includes the catalytic converter and the fuel tank filler pipe."

2: "INSPECT HOOD AND AREA UNDER THE HOOD FOR: Operating condition of hood latch; presence of emissions system; evidence that any essential parts have been removed, rendered inoperative or disconnected. Proper levels of brake fluid, power steering fluid. Power steering belt — proper tension, wear or absence."

The way I read those two, as long as they visually see the catalytic converters and fuel tank filler pipe in ok shape, then number 1 gets an O.K. check. And if they see the emission system hasn't been ripped out, then number 2 gets the O.K. check.

What are your thoughts on it? This is the 09+ redesign of the charcoal canister housing with the filter built in for it. I would have a heck of a time taking it down to replace the purge valve that's stuck open according to the code if not really needed for state inspection. I did mess around with it for about an hour one night trying to get the purge valve out without taking the whole housing down, but a metal brake line was keeping me from rotating it enough for it to come out

09 SE King Cab 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 10:40 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
My guess the mechanic will pull the code, inform you what they found and quote you a price to fix it.

All depends how picky the shop doing the inspection is.

2016 Pro 4x CC, Silver

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTR View Post
My guess the mechanic will pull the code, inform you what they found and quote you a price to fix it.

All depends how picky the shop doing the inspection is.
You're probably right. Does it fail inspection throwing that code though?

Those here with the 09+ canister housing redesign that has built in filter: Where did you get your replacement purge valve from? Were you able to get to the bolt mounting the canister housing to the frame with a long socket wrench?

09 SE King Cab 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 07:45 AM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 895 Posts
Garage
I would poke around the state's website instead of asking random forums or shops.

Virginia State Police - Safety Division

The other Sean, Formerly know as shizzy.

2011 Pro-4X CC
Overland bound #2292

See my 2011 Pro-4x build here
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 11:41 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerunner View Post
You're probably right. Does it fail inspection throwing that code though?

Those here with the 09+ canister housing redesign that has built in filter: Where did you get your replacement purge valve from? Were you able to get to the bolt mounting the canister housing to the frame with a long socket wrench?
I don't live in your State. As Shizzy suggested do a search and see if the canister is needed to pass the inspection. Better yet, call one of the inspection sites that you will not be using and ask your questions regarding the canister purge valve fail code will cause your vehicle to fail inspection.

You could also call a Nissan dealership and has your questions regarding parts, estimated cost, etc.

2016 Pro 4x CC, Silver

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

Thanks, state website has same wording as quotes from 1 and 2 above. Thought with this part being such a common issue that there might be someone on this forum in my state who had experience trying to pass inspection with the issue.
Good idea just calling a station I'm not using to see if that issue will cause it to fail. I need to just buy the part and try to get it working though. After all I've read on this forum about it, it may not work for very long if replacing the valve does fix it initially.

The Dorman Evaporative Canister Vent Solenoid Valve 911-503 has a limited lifetime warranty, so I was thinking of getting it from advanceauto even though a bit more expensive than ordering online, for the exchange to be easier if using warranty in future.

09 SE King Cab 4x4
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

Update: I got it out! It took just a little turn to line up the four locking pegs on it to pull out. The difficult thing was a rigid plastic tube that I had to push away with one hand while trying to pull the valve out with the other hand.

I cleaned it and the plunger inside of it moves freely. I tried supplying power to it to test its motor, but that's very hard to do with the wires I had, trying to make contact with battery terminals and the device terminals.

I ended up connecting it back to its power harness but leaving it hanging in wheel well while turning ignition on to see if the plunger would move closed, but it remained open. Of course while turning key I couldn't be at the wheel well to see if it moved closed then open. Is that what it does with ignition on and engine not started? Or does it open for a second then shut while ignition is turned on?

Either way if it was working, when turning ignition back off, it should have shut at that point, right?

09 SE King Cab 4x4

Last edited by lakerunner; 02-17-2017 at 05:27 PM.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > DIY - Do It Yourself / Tech Tips

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.