Automatic transmission radiator oil cooler bypass - Page 3 - Nissan Frontier Forum
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 659 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 02:30 PM
Shift_Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Six LE View Post
I removed 14¾" from the long hose and 4¼" from the short hose from the radiator cooler ends.
Cool! Of course I will check the measurements just to make sure, but you certainly are making this easy for us!

Thanks again Zero Six LE!

Oh, one more question. When doing this bypass, air is bound to get into the Transmission fluid hoses. Is this a problem?

Last edited by Jumbo; 03-16-2009 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Jumbo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 659 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member
 
Zero Six LE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Miltown,Florida
Posts: 19,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Thanks: 12,671
Thanked 3,172 Times in 2,134 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Cool! Of course I will check the measurements just to make sure, but you certainly are making this easy for us!

Thanks again Zero Six LE!

Oh, one more question. When doing this bypass, air is bound to get into the Transmission fluid hoses. Is this a problem?
You're welcome. I seriously doubt if the air would be a problem. It will bleed itself out once the pump starts pumping the fluid through the circuit.



Zero Six LE is offline  
post #23 of 659 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 09:41 AM
Shift_lurker
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Six LE View Post
As I stated earlier, the radiator oil cooler doesn't hold much fluid. The very large auxiliary oil cooler can handle the Florida heat much better than the tiny oil cooler I took out of the circuit. Besides that, the cooling fan for the condenser is behind the aux cooler. If you use your AC like I do in the hot summer months, there should not be any excessive heat issues in the transmission. I don't expect any negative issues from this slight modification.
Zero Six LE,

Although the trans cooler built into the radiator is smaller, heat transfers much faster to a liquid (i.e. the engine coolant in the radiator) than it does to the ambient air (i.e. the aux cooler).

Refer to this link:
Overall Heat Transfer Coefficients for some common Fluids and Heat Exchanger Surfaces

As an example, the capacity to transfer heat from water to air (the aux cooler) is 2.0 BTU / sq ft. The capacity to transfer heat from water to water (the radiator cooler) is 60-70 BTU / sq ft. So the aux cooler would have to be 30 times larger than the radiator cooler to be able to preform the same amount of cooling. By removing the radiator cooler, you most likely removed at least 50% of the transmission cooling capacity. This will be far more likely to damage your trans than the small chance of a radiator failure.

I believe that the radiator failures are limited to 2005 production.
njcyclist is offline  
 
post #24 of 659 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 11:08 AM
Shift_Fanatic
 
05cc4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oak Harbor, WA
Posts: 535
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 6
Thanked 64 Times in 25 Posts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Thanks for the write-up zerosix. I remember you saying you were gonna do this. Looks pretty simple, I'll have to see if I can do it this weekend. I don't have the problem and might never have it but a few bucks to prevent laying out few thousand seems like cheap insurance. I don't ever tow anything anyway.

White 05 LE crew cab 4x4. Mods so far- Rollbak bed cover, custom Yakima bike rack, Pathfinder center console, Pathfinder window trim, steering wheel audio controls added, vent visors and window tint.
05cc4x4 is offline  
post #25 of 659 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member
 
Zero Six LE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Miltown,Florida
Posts: 19,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Thanks: 12,671
Thanked 3,172 Times in 2,134 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by njcyclist View Post
Zero Six LE,

I believe that the radiator failures are limited to 2005 production.
Not really. If it can happen to an 05, it can happen to 06-09 as well.

Transmission / Radiator Failure

I'll respond to the first part of your post later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcyclist View Post
Zero Six LE,

Although the trans cooler built into the radiator is smaller, heat transfers much faster to a liquid (i.e. the engine coolant in the radiator) than it does to the ambient air (i.e. the aux cooler).

Refer to this link:
Overall Heat Transfer Coefficients for some common Fluids and Heat Exchanger Surfaces

As an example, the capacity to transfer heat from water to air (the aux cooler) is 2.0 BTU / sq ft. The capacity to transfer heat from water to water (the radiator cooler) is 60-70 BTU / sq ft. So the aux cooler would have to be 30 times larger than the radiator cooler to be able to preform the same amount of cooling. By removing the radiator cooler, you most likely removed at least 50% of the transmission cooling capacity. This will be far more likely to damage your trans than the small chance of a radiator failure.

I believe that the radiator failures are limited to 2005 production.

I doubt if that chart is anywhere close to accurate. I work on heavy equipment on my job. The oil coolers for the transmission and hydraulic systems are separate from the radiator. The heat is exchanged through the air flowing through the radiator/cooler. The engine coolant isn't that cool in the bottom tank to make that much of a difference. With the limited capacity of the radiator cooler and it's confined space, I'll take my chances with the aux cooler that is probably 10 times larger and gets more air flow over it. The fluid in the pan is cooler than the oil in the cooler so I am not worried about any heat related transmission problems. The air exchanger type cooler works on heavy equipment so I believe in it. Most of the heavy equipment I work on have transmission temperature gauges and they never get overheated as long as you keep the fins clean on the cooler. Thanks for your input.




Last edited by Zero Six LE; 03-20-2009 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Zero Six LE is offline  
post #26 of 659 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 04:14 AM
Shift_Fanatic
Lifetime Member
 
Volcano_God's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 90
Thanked 41 Times in 34 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I agree with Zero Six LE completely and have also worked on various aircraft ground support/test equipment in the USAF when I was in, including gas turbines and multiple large displacement diesel equipment. Air oil coolers work just fine, especially if you consider that they are dealing with ambient air temperatures, where a radiator based cooler will be dealing with fluid temperatures close to the boiling point of water. Basically you are talking about 100 degree hotter temperatures for the radiator cooler on average. I bet it will be pretty much a wash on cooling efficiency comparing radiator based to the large axillary cooler

I guess if someone was really concerned about the risk involved, they would just purchase a new or aftermarket radiator that fixes the problem. Until my radiator kicks the can, the bypass will work just fine. Thanks again for digging up the required part number Zero Six LE! I got mine today.

2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L with DVD/NAV. (PAID OFF!!) MODS: OEM fog lights, OEM wood dash kit, hood deflector, moonroof defector, and other mods.

2005 Nissan Frontier Super Black Crewcab LE 4x4 W/Desert leather interior. (PAID OFF!!) MODS: Nismo CAI, Nismo oil cap, Nismo radiator cap, Chrome OEM door handles, OEM hood deflector, OEM bed cover, E & G Classic stainless steel grill, and a few other mods.

2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE-R Sheer Silver/ Black/Red interior... GONE! You will be missed! 04.01.08 triplets killed the Altima SE-R!
Volcano_God is offline  
post #27 of 659 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member
 
Zero Six LE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Miltown,Florida
Posts: 19,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Thanks: 12,671
Thanked 3,172 Times in 2,134 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcano_God View Post
I agree with Zero Six LE completely and have also worked on various aircraft ground support/test equipment in the USAF when I was in, including gas turbines and multiple large displacement diesel equipment. Air oil coolers work just fine, especially if you consider that they are dealing with ambient air temperatures, where a radiator based cooler will be dealing with fluid temperatures close to the boiling point of water. Basically you are talking about 100 degree hotter temperatures for the radiator cooler on average. I bet it will be pretty much a wash on cooling efficiency comparing radiator based to the large axillary cooler

I guess if someone was really concerned about the risk involved, they would just purchase a new or aftermarket radiator that fixes the problem. Until my radiator kicks the can, the bypass will work just fine. Thanks again for digging up the required part number Zero Six LE! I got mine today.
You're welcome. I really don't believe heat would be an issue unless you were towing a heavy trailer on a 100° day in stop and go traffic or climbing grades. In a case like that, the radiator cooler still wouldn't offer much cooling because the engine load would increase the coolant temperature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05cc4x4 View Post
Thanks for the write-up zerosix. I remember you saying you were gonna do this. Looks pretty simple, I'll have to see if I can do it this weekend. I don't have the problem and might never have it but a few bucks to prevent laying out few thousand seems like cheap insurance. I don't ever tow anything anyway.
You're welcome. I haven't done any serious towing since I bought my truck. I might not have ever had the coolant contamination problem either but I didn't want to risk it.




Last edited by Zero Six LE; 03-21-2009 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Zero Six LE is offline  
post #28 of 659 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 09:32 AM
Shift_Obsessed
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ME
Posts: 2,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Thanks: 119
Thanked 121 Times in 105 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So if this little itty bitty ATF radiator cooler "does nothing" why did Nissan spend the money to put it in?
2WD_NISMO is offline  
post #29 of 659 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member
 
Zero Six LE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Miltown,Florida
Posts: 19,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Thanks: 12,671
Thanked 3,172 Times in 2,134 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WD_NISMO View Post
So if this little itty bitty ATF radiator cooler "does nothing" why did Nissan spend the money to put it in?
They put them in all radiators in auto transmission vehicles. I never said it "does nothing". We just happen to have an auxiliary cooler when most other vehciles would have to add one.



Zero Six LE is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Zero Six LE For This Useful Post:
Bturner906 (08-17-2014)
post #30 of 659 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 03:37 PM
Shift_Enthusiast
 
2006_FrontierLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How common is this problem if people are doing the bypass without having any issue? Is it more as a CYA (cover your arse) in case there is an internal leak?

Any of you doing the bypass do any towing over 3000lbs? Did you install an aftermarket cooler after the bypass?

Man... I only have 2k miles left on my power train warranty and everyone has me worried about timing chain pensioners and now ATF contamination.

My darn fuel level sensor just went out. I am not the paranoid type but I bought my third Nissan (this frontier) because the first two lasted for over 11 years with no issues.

Thanks for the write up!

Last edited by 2006_FrontierLE; 04-06-2009 at 03:40 PM.
2006_FrontierLE is offline  
Reply

  Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > DIY - Do It Yourself / Tech Tips

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 5 (0 members and 5 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On