Nissan Frontier Forum banner

$15 Hi-Lift Mounts for the Utilitrack

37K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  busemans 
#1 · (Edited)
Finally finished up the last few things on this DIY project today. I would say its a very easy project - finding the materials may be the only hold-up to some.

Not wanting to pay $80 or more for a hi-lift mount (which is more than the jack) and having my jack bouncing around in box and denting it, I thought it best to find another way to mount the hi-lift. Having some UHMW laying around from my body lift, I figured it would make a great material for using against the utilitrack. Some crap metal, left over UHMW and $5 in bolts/nuts later...

So, I got some 1/4" plate, punched some holes into it, welded one bolt from the back and painted them up. I used 1" by 1" block tube about 2.5" long on top of the bolt - this will be what the jack sits against.

Then I bought some spring nuts to use inside of the Utilitrack. Here you will see I have the mounting bolts with a variety of nuts to use for hoilding the jack afterwards. I wasn't sure if I wanted to use double nuts, nylon nuts, or wing nuts....I eventually went with wing nuts. if they don't hold well, I will go to the nylon nuts

I used some Loctite inside the spring nuts, just to help hold them a little better

The spacing of 2" blocks, 1/4" plate, and 1" tube is the perfect distance to hold the jack away from the Utilitrack (I compared the measurements to eglaisi's Fabworks holders).

And here it is, installed. Took about 15 minutes. Don't forget I have a long box so it looks small in there.

See less See more
#9 ·
thought i would throw up an update - been taking the truck up really bumpy logging roads all summer long, a few 4x4 excursions, and this holder is still tight with no wobble or shifting. i was expecting something to be loose, but its holding up great

#10 ·
I see what you mean, my tire mount and your jack mount are very similar in design, great minds i suppose. great job and write up on yours too.

#11 ·
Four years later and this system is still holding up perfect. The jack never moves, I've had it off a few times when needed and it comes off and goes on easy, without ever loosening off. This is one of my favourite mods thus far.

#18 ·
I appreciate that Zebra as I saw the thread a year or so ago hoping to do this winter just never got around to it seems there's always something more pressing on list of things to do

#21 ·
Finally finished up the last few things on this DIY project today. I would say its a very easy project - finding the materials may be the only hold-up to some.

Not wanting to pay $80 or more for a hi-lift mount (which is more than the jack) and having my jack bouncing around in box and denting it, I thought it best to find another way to mount the hi-lift. Having some UHMW laying around from my body lift, I figured it would make a great material for using against the utilitrack. Some crap metal, left over UHMW and $5 in bolts/nuts later...

So, I got some 1/4" plate, punched some holes into it, welded one bolt from the back and painted them up. I used 1" by 1" block tube about 2.5" long on top of the bolt - this will be what the jack sits against.

Then I bought some spring nuts to use inside of the Utilitrack. Here you will see I have the mounting bolts with a variety of nuts to use for hoilding the jack afterwards. I wasn't sure if I wanted to use double nuts, nylon nuts, or wing nuts....I eventually went with wing nuts. if they don't hold well, I will go to the nylon nuts

I used some Loctite inside the spring nuts, just to help hold them a little better

The spacing of 2" blocks, 1/4" plate, and 1" tube is the perfect distance to hold the jack away from the Utilitrack (I compared the measurements to eglaisi's Fabworks holders).

And here it is, installed. Took about 15 minutes. Don't forget I have a long box so it looks small in there.

With my latest stuck I figure that I should have my hi-lift mounted in my truck permanently. Currently I tie it down to a utility trac cleat when it is on-board. My first wheeling trip I had the lift simply ride in the bed. a lot of high speed desert stuff. As a result I have a nice dent in the back wall and slight bed separation from the hi-lift trying to join us in the cab of the truck.

I know there are various DIYs. Rather than starting a new thread I thought I would ask my question here. How strong is that utilty track to mount a hi-lift to. I plan on mounting mine in the same location as Z did. Seems like alot of weight to be riding on those rails. Do you have a long term report. Has this lasted 10 year. ANy bending?

This design spreads the load between 4 attachment points. What if I only use 2?

#23 ·
10 year review - it is still holding strong, no issues. I take it off every year to lube the jack, but the jack is still rusting a little. I can't tell you how less mounts will do, as I thought I would go with the 4 due the weight of the jack.

I also use it as a tie-down sometimes, no issues whatsoever.

#25 ·
Sleeve Gesture Collar Finger Dress shirt
Automotive tire Window Tire Bumper Tread

I ghetto rigged a version tonight. 2" electrical conduit coupling with some 1/2" ID spacers pressed in to keep the bolts centered. I'll have to use tools to take it off and on, but it feels pretty secure and fits snugly to the side of the bed without making contact. I put nylon washers against both sides of the jack with fender washers on one side and the 2" coupling on the other side. The coupling butts up to a super strut square washer and is secured into the utilitrack with a 3-1/2"x 1/2" bolt and spring nut.

#27 ·
The 1/2" superstrut nuts and washers were only in 5-pack bags so they were the most expensive items. It was about $16 just for those but I have a whole goofy bed rack system I put in and out, so I'm okay having extra hardware to mount stuff to it. I think it was about $30 for everything I bought and used to mount the jack.

Here's a pic of my improvised rack. Usually, I just run the cross bars without the vertical supports and put my snowboard rack on there in the winter. I built it thinking I'd get one of those tents that mount to a rack and have it sitting flush with the top of the bed instead of elevated up in the air. I never followed through, but if I do I can mount the jack to the vertical supports using the same hardware I used to mount it to the utilitrack and secure other items in the bed under the rack.

Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.