Administrator
Shift_Enthusiast
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Poll: Toyota Tacoma or Nissan Frontier?

Trucks… Americans LOVE ‘em more than beer-battered pizza. We simply can’t get enough of these versatile rigs.

And what’s not to adore? They offer rugged styling, go-almost-anywhere capability and open beds to carry messy loads of Lord-knows-what. For these reasons and more, one of the most popular on the market today is Toyota’s rough-and-ready Tacoma.

This midsize pickup has been the segment’s best-seller for the past decade. It’s reliable, reasonably affordable and proven to work… HARD.

The Tacoma offers a base four-cylinder engine but you’ll want to avoid this asthmatic unit and opt for the available V6. At 3.5-liters it delivers a smooth and responsive 278 horses. A pair of six-speed transmissions are also on the menu, an automatic and a manual (THANK YOU, TOYOTA!).

Shifting gears, so to speak, and focusing on the Nissan, it also offers two engines: a base four-banger and an up-level V6. The latter displaces 4.0-liters and delivers 261 horses with 281 lb-ft of torque, 16 more units of twist than provided by the Tacoma’s six-shooter.

Frontiers can be had with a five-speed automatic transmission or one of two different manuals.

When equipped with four-wheel drive and a stick-shift these trucks are remarkably similar, averaging 18 miles per gallon each. The Toyota has a one-MPG edge in city driving, stickering at 17, while the Nissan beats it by one on the highway at 21.

Which of these midsize Japanese trucks is better? Which one would YOU rather own? Well, compare them directly right here for more information and don’t forget to vote in our poll!

Vote Here: Poll: Toyota Tacoma or Nissan Frontier? » AutoGuide.com News

Jeff M

testing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 04:30 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Garage
I am just glad there isn't a titan on the home page anymore.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 04:45 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Garage
It was an easy decision for me in 2011 but man... a 2017 TRD Pro Taco vs. a 2017 Pro-4x?? I'd get the Taco TRD Pro if I was in the market today and these were my choices. Although in reality I'd spend a tad more and get a 4Runner TRD Pro.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 04:52 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kode3 View Post
It was an easy decision for me in 2011 but man... a 2017 TRD Pro Taco vs. a 2017 Pro-4x?? I'd get the Taco TRD Pro if I was in the market today and these were my choices. Although in reality I'd spend a tad more and get a 4Runner TRD Pro.
I don't know if I would. I might take the more torque and about $8k in my pocket . I am seeing some Frontier's go for steals of deals lately. I think dollar for dollar most would take a Taco though.

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 04:57 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
I voted for the Frontier, I really like my truck and won't be getting rid of it for a while but Nissan is doing next to nothing to try and keep me interested in the brand. The Xterra is done, Frontier is 2005 tech and the Titan is pricey, granted they have the 370z thats cool.

2014 Frontier CC SV Long Box, Daystar Leveling kit, PRG Deaver AAL, 20" Rigid Industries E-series light bar, 50" Curved LED roof Light bar, 10" Rigid Back up light, 285/75R16 Nitto Trail Grapplers, bed rack with Yakima Load warrior basket, Northwest Com. seat covers, Kurgo pet barrier, P3 brake controller, Diode Dynamics XML 2 fog lights, Weather tech floor mats, Trailer brake wiring relocation, Rear axle vent relocated, Blue sea fuse blocks.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 07:56 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Voted for the Nissan. Purchased a 2016 Pro4x.

Toyota like the GMC twins got bigger, wider and put high rev engines. I test drove them all. GMC twins have no ground clearance due to the front air dam. Toyota has some issues with the 3rd Gen Tacoma. Some like them, some don't. GMC and Toyota are asking way to much for what they are offering.

I decided that the aged Frontier was the better buy.

2016 Pro 4x CC, Silver
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:21 PM
Shift_Fanatic
Lifetime Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Garage
If I were in the market for a truck today, I'd get the Fronty, skip the warranty, & do a Full Titan Swap (engine, drivetrain, front&rear axles/suspension) with the savings.

- - Illegitimi non carborundum - -
- - 2014 SV 4x4 V6 Auto - - F.O.R.C.E. - - ExploringNH.com

-build thread- stomper

[gone] 76 GMC Sierra 4x4 RCSB -383 v8, SM465, 3.73:1, TT rear, Dana44 & GM12bolt c-clip converted
[gone] 85 RX-7 5spd
[gone] 79 F-100 2wd
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:27 PM
Shift_Fanatic
Lifetime Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMK14 View Post
... Nissan is doing next to nothing to try and keep me interested in the brand. The Xterra is done, ...
They REALLY need to bring the xTerra or something similar out. When it first came out and replaced the Pathfinder as a proper off-roader SUV I thought it wasn't serious.... few years later I saw it was a serious off-roader.

- - Illegitimi non carborundum - -
- - 2014 SV 4x4 V6 Auto - - F.O.R.C.E. - - ExploringNH.com

-build thread- stomper

[gone] 76 GMC Sierra 4x4 RCSB -383 v8, SM465, 3.73:1, TT rear, Dana44 & GM12bolt c-clip converted
[gone] 85 RX-7 5spd
[gone] 79 F-100 2wd
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:40 PM
Shift_lurker

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Go pro4x and with the extra $$$ you can upgrade with the extra funds!!! Plus taco's have problems with the new series, would rather buy something that worked out the kinks then something right of the line with 0 trucks with 100k+ miles

~~2016 Frontier CC Pro 4x w/ Lux~~
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 11:47 PM
Rogue Admin
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,598 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
So far it is 66% Toyota, which doesn't surprise me considering their market share.

Nissan Frontier Forum > ClubFrontier News and Polls > ClubFrontier News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.