Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Nissan Frontier Diesel Runner Gets Cummins Power

58K views 144 replies 70 participants last post by  BravoBravo 
#1 ·

Hoping to gauge customer interest, Nissan is displaying a “project” version of its Frontier mid-size pickup with a 2.8-liter Cummins four-cylinder diesel engine.

The Japanese brand is making a big push into the light-duty diesel truck market with its new Titan, which is set to sell with a 5.0-liter Cummins diesel powertplant with it arrives. But the brand isn’t convinced that it will be enough to offer a single diesel truck. The Frontier being shown today isn’t necessarily going to be built, but it might be if the brand decides there is enough demand.

“We hope consumers in Chicago and across the U.S. will let us know what they think of the prospects of a diesel engine in this segment,” said Nissan product planning vice president Pierre Loing.

“Nissan has always valued the mid-size pickup segment, and with this technical study project, we are looking to explore what is possible for the next-generation Frontier,” said Nissan truck boss Fred Diaz. “We are always looking for ways to engage our customers, innovate and take the segment in an evolutionary direction.”

The four-cylinder engine makes approximately 200 hp and over 350 lb-ft of torque and is slotted into a truck heavily based on the 2014 Frontier Desert Runner. A ZF eight-speed automatic transmission handles shifting duty sent to the rear wheels.
Read the complete story on the Nissan Frontier Diesel at AutoGuide.com

See less See more
#3 ·
Where do I sign up, I have been waiting for this day for way too long! Im ready to buy it today.....hurry up Nissan, I need a new truck!

CPS

#13 ·
word up. turn that 8 speed auto into an 8 speed manual and we gots ourselves a new truck

#8 ·
I thought I was going to have to settle and buy the Titan diesel, but if this real and not a publicity stunt, I will wait for the diesel Frontier. That is what I really want! So please, pretty please, with sugar on top.....Nissan make this truck!!!!!

I know the market for diesel mid sized trucks is not that high, but if Nissan wants to IMPROVE there MPG's, then this would be a really smart move on Nissans part.

CPS

#11 ·
That's really cool!!

#19 ·
Same here if they don't screw the body up too bad I'd be in for trading in...with the extra torque I hope they throw the M205 in the front standard (Titan swap half done) and a 6sp manual would be just fine for me :thumbup:

Of course mine would be paid off by then...find a wrecked one 1 or 2 years old and do the sure to be popular Nissan/Cummins swap on my paid off truck :thumbup:

#18 ·
My truck only has 22,000 miles, so I'm not ready for a new one quite yet and I'm also not keen to have to put all the stock parts back on. Even so this would be quite tempting in a 4x4 version. I also want a real rear axle on my next truck - one with a locker option that doesn't require compressed air.

They need to keep the boxed ladder frame as well. If it's a Ridgeline with a diesel I'm not buying it.

#24 ·
I'll take that in a silver CC Pro4x please

#29 ·
I emailed Nissan regarding the truck. They sent me the following email. Check out the video if you like, then click on the survey link and tell them to build it! BTW, you get entered to win a $100 Amazon gift card for taking the survey and they do not share your information. Here's the email:

Thank you for contacting Nissan and for your interest in our future models!

At this time, we have no further information on the Frontier Diesel Runner other than what has been shared on Nissan News:

The Frontier Diesel Runner, which is based on a Frontier Desert Runner 4x2 model, was created to gauge the market reaction to a Nissan mid-size pickup with a diesel engine and plot a potential future direction for the Frontier. It arrives a mere six months after the announcement of a partnership with Cummins Inc. to provide a 5.0-liter turbo diesel V8 in the next-generation Titan full-size pickup, which will arrive in calendar year 2015.

You can view this article in it’s entirety at Nissan Frontier Diesel Runner, 2015 Versa Note SR Debut at 2014 Chicago Auto Show - Nissan Online Newsroom.

If you are interested in gaining more knowledge on the Nissan Frontier Diesel Runner powered by Cummins please explore the “Video Report” at VIDEO REPORT: Comments Welcomed on Potential Diesel-Powered Nissan Frontier - Nissan Online Newsroom

At the end of that video there is an opportunity for you to provide us with your feedback on the Nissan Frontier Diesel Runner. Here is the link for your convenience: Survey | Qualtrics Survey Software.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.