Transmission Sounds - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transmission Sounds

Hey guys,

I am new to posting here and a long time lurker. Just wanted to say thanks in advance for the input.

I have a 2007 Nissan Frontier -

At 40k miles (where its at now) I smelled a burning smell coming from my engine compartment after driving for about 20 miles. Upon further investigation my transmission was almost bone dry. I went up to Auto Zone and bought 4 or 5 bottles of transmission fluid. The first I poured in seemed darker than I remember but I had just noticed the color of it when almost the whole bottle had been emptied. I started pouring the second bottle and immediately recognized the stark contrast in color between red (second bottle) and blackish (first bottle). Long story short, AutoZone sold me what I can only conclude was dirty engine oil inside of a new transmission fluid bottle.

I naturally went up to Auto Zone immediately (in a different vehicle) and complained, citing that I want them to pay for a transmission flush. I received very poor service, was accused in multiple ways of scamming them etc, etc.... long story short they paid for the transmission flush and I banned Auto Zone.

NOW, moving on... got the flush, new fluid, and noticed the burning smell again, went to my mechanic and it turned out my rear main transmission seal was burnt up and leaking. I baby my truck, but bought it at 38k miles and cannot speak to how the previous owner treated it. Though a burnt seal at 40k seems very odd to me. At any rate, $400.00 later the seal is replaced.

FINALLY my problem for you guys. Now that I got the truck back I drove it for a week and noticed a few very alarming things that were NOT there before.

1. A whining noise through all gears (automatic) when accelerating. And occasionally a louder grinding sort of noise. These noises are present even when my engine is warmed up after driving awhile.

2. It seems that when it comes time for the tranny to shift into 2nd or 4th it is delayed. I keep pressing the gas waiting for it to shift and my RMP's climb up to around 3500 sometimes before it will shift. If I release my foot off the gas and press on it again I can get it to shift.

Again, THESE problems were not there before what was mentioned above. My question is.... does anyone else notice similar problems in the Frontier trannys? How alarmed should I be? If they filled it with the wrong transmission fluid could that be causing the problem? I am probably going to run by the shop today, but as their the ones who changed the seal and didn't notice the problems I am describing I do not exactly trust them.

Any input is appreciated.

Last edited by BigKuhna; 01-23-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 11:44 AM
Shift_Fanatic

[QUOTE=BigKuhna;822174]Hey guys,

I am new to posting here and a long time lurker. Just wanted to say thanks in advance for the input.

I have a 2007 Nissan Frontier -

At 40k miles (where its at now) I smelled a burning smell coming from my engine compartment after driving for about 20 miles. Upon further investigation my transmission was almost bone dry. I went up to Auto Zone and bought 4 or 5 bottles of transmission fluid. The first I poured in seemed darker than I remember but I had just noticed the color of it when almost the whole bottle had been emptied. I started pouring the second bottle and immediately recognized the stark contrast in color between red (second bottle) and blackish (first bottle). Long story short, AutoZone sold me what I can only conclude was dirty engine oil inside of a new transmission fluid bottle.

I naturally went up to Auto Zone immediately (in a different vehicle) and complained, citing that I want them to pay for a transmission flush. I received very poor service, was accused in multiple ways of scamming them etc, etc.... long story short they paid for the transmission flush and I banned Auto Zone.

NOW, moving on... got the flush, new fluid, and noticed the burning smell again, went to my mechanic and it turned out my rear main transmission seal was burnt up and leaking. I baby my truck, but bought it at 38k miles and cannot speak to how the previous owner treated it. Though a burnt seal at 40k seems very odd to me. At any rate, $400.00 later the seal is replaced.

FINALLY my problem for you guys. Now that I got the truck back I drove it for a week and noticed a few very alarming things that were NOT there before.

1. A whining noise through all gears (automatic) when accelerating. And occasionally a louder grinding sort of noise. These noises are present even when my engine is warmed up after driving awhile.

2. It seems that when it comes time for the tranny to shift into 2nd or 4th it is delayed. I keep pressing the gas waiting for it to shift and my RMP's climb up to around 3500 sometimes before it will shift. If I release my foot off the gas and press on it again I can get it to shift.

Again, THESE problems were not there before what was mentioned above. My question is.... does anyone else notice similar problems in the Frontier trannys? How alarmed should I be? If they filled it with the wrong transmission fluid could that be causing the problem? I am probably going to run by the shop today, but as their the ones who changed the seal and didn't notice the problems I am describing I do not exactly trust them.

Any input is appreciated. [/QUOTE

You know your truck has a 5 year 60,000 warranty that would cover your transmission.

Did you use the correct fluid?

If Warranty repairs are being done on a transmission listed in the chart on page 2, the listed fluid must be used. A claim to Nissan for warranty, service contract, or goodwill repairs to the transmissions listed below may be denied if Genuine Nissan ATF/CVT/eCVT Fluid is not used as specified by the part number in this bulletin. If Customer Pay service or repair of the transmissions listed below is done, the fluid type listed in the chart on page 2 must be used. Nissan recommends the Genuine Nissan ATF/CVT/eCVT fluid part number listed in Parts Information be used. See this bulletin for further detail.

Sound like you used the wrong type fluid, and your tranmission is beng destroyed.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 11:59 AM
Shift_lurker

Well I should mention that it was bought with a salvage title. I had it inspected and drove it extensively and neither I nor the mechanic who did the inspection could find any problems.

I say this because any warranty is void because of the salvage title.

Also, I myself did not use the wrong transmission fluid, I know enough to check on that.... however the place that did the transmission flush might have. I guess there's really no way to tell except to get it done again and see if they problems go away as there is no way to 'test' the type of fluid that was used.

Of course the place who did the flush who would never own up to using the wrong fluid and there's no way I could prove it if they did.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKuhna View Post
Well I should mention that it was bought with a salvage title. I had it inspected and drove it extensively and neither I nor the mechanic who did the inspection could find any problems.

I say this because any warranty is void because of the salvage title.

Also, I myself did not use the wrong transmission fluid, I know enough to check on that.... however the place that did the transmission flush might have. I guess there's really no way to tell except to get it done again and see if they problems go away as there is no way to 'test' the type of fluid that was used.

Of course the place who did the flush who would never own up to using the wrong fluid and there's no way I could prove it if they did.
I've seen a post before with the same issue after changing fluid. I'm not busting you. I just hope things work out.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 12:33 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Check out this thread. You also should check your transmission for coolant.

Transmission / Radiator Failure
#6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 01:37 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

I'd just look for a new transmission, or low mileage take-out. If it was starved for fluid, your transmission has been permanantly damaged - and no amount of flushing will fix it.

What kind of damage was sustained in the wreck that totaled the truck? My guess is that the rear main seal was damaged by the impact...

Heath

1990 Infiniti Q45 AKA "Q2"
2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan A/T
2004 Nissan Frontier King Cab M/T
#7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Shift_lurker

FLuid should have been "j" or "s" fluid which i believe is only available at nisan dealers. second if tranny was run low that long. transmission is fubarred. those rear seal are common leaks.

2011 Frontier Pro4x V6 Crew Cab 4x4
*Titan Rear diff cover *Smoked taillights
*Prg 2" spacers and 1.5" add a leaf
*Nismo Cold air intake
*Cetified Nissan Master and Leaf Technician
#8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

AMSOIL also makes some tranny fluid that meets nissan specs

08 4x4 Nismo CC ,Radflo Coil Overs, Goodyear Duratrac Wranglers 285/75/16 ,Superchips,Nismo CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust,HID 6000k,PRG AAL, PRG UCA
#9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 05:02 PM
Shift_lurker

Well, all I really know is that there was damage to the front bumper, it was on its side, and the was an impact at the rear left fender.

At any rate, I don't think it was ever 'starved' for fluids. Since I smelled that burning smell it meant that fluid was still leaking out of it. I just believe it was very low.

I took it up to the shop and the guy said he could not hear or observe any of the problems I cited..... thats always irritating.

At any rate, I think I am going to go get another flush, ensure the proper fluid is in it, and get the filter changes.

But, on their Fronty, does anyone else ever notice sluggishness to get into 2nd or 4th gear? Is anyone familiar with that 'whining' sound that I am speaking of coming from the transmission when accelerating?
#10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 07:20 PM
Shift_lurker

i haven't heard noise from tranny. engine has a whine on 4 cyl. there is just a screen in tranny. not really a filter. most dealers don't replace.

2011 Frontier Pro4x V6 Crew Cab 4x4
*Titan Rear diff cover *Smoked taillights
*Prg 2" spacers and 1.5" add a leaf
*Nismo Cold air intake
*Cetified Nissan Master and Leaf Technician

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > 4 Banger Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.