Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Shocks w/coil springs on the rear-Suggestions

12K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  SweetDoug 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Sure enough, I saw the future… Broke a leaf spring.

'
'
'
It gets kind of creepy in my life with $#!+ like this happening.

Along about the 1st week of July, I just broke a leaf spring, riding along, carrying nothing.

Okay: I had my lunch box in the bed of the truck.

Well, much screwing about, and trying to find a heavier leaf spring to install, and viola!

Just as bad as the originals.

I've got about 3" inches of clearance and when I sit on the back, I'm sure I'm almost touching rubber to axle.

Is there any way to beef up the leaf springs in a 4 cyl. Frontier XE 2003?

I'd like to install the coil spring schocks, but nobody in the US ships to Canuckistan, whining about duty, and border and stuff.

I'm sure it's because the manufacturers love to jack the prices up by 30-100% on their products for us.

Any suggestions or leads for these shocks for my truck?

SweetDoug

#5 ·
#8 ·
Where are you trying to order them from, FedEX and UPS are the 2 biggest shippers for cross border goods.

From your links above your on amazon.com, you need to order from amazon.ca.

#7 ·
Do you know of a part number that will fit?
I have been looking for a least 6 month with no luck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#9 ·
For the ACDELCO 5192 from RockAuto Parts Catalog

Click to Jump to This Car in the Part Catalog2003 NISSAN FRONTIER 2.4L L4
Click to Jump to This Part Listing in the Part CatalogSuspension : Shock AbsorberRelated Parts
ACDELCO Part # 5192 {#88946561} Specialty; Spring Assist
[Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the US Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] [Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Canadian Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] [Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Mexican Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] Rear; RWD; Except Desert Runner; Rear Spring Assist
* Stocked in outlying warehouse--shipping delayed up to 5 business days
CAD$89.35 CAD$89.35 Remove Part
Subtotal CAD$89.35
Shipping: from United States (You should receive by August 20) CAD$44.30
Total CAD$133.65

#10 ·
'
'
'
I'd order them in a moment from Amazon.ca, except those dopes don't carry them.

And I can guarantee you, if they did?

They'd be 50-100% more than the price you'd pay in the US.

Amazon got caught about 3 years ago, gouging Canucks on the same stuff, when comparing .com to .ca.

Now, they just have made it so you can't order from the US site.

Closing the door on the herd…

•∆•
V-V

#11 · (Edited)
'
'

I'd order them in a moment from Amazon.ca, except those dopes don't carry them.

And I can guarantee you, if they did?

They'd be 50-100% more than the price you'd pay in the US.

Amazon got caught about 3 years ago, gouging Canucks on the same stuff, when comparing .com to .ca.

Now, they just have made it so you can't order from the US site.

Closing the door on the herd…

•∆•
V-V

Your first link for monroe shocks are on the .ca site. I already posted RockAuto which sells spring shocks for a 1st gen Frontier.

You said noone ships to Canada but many of them do, and there is lots of Monroe/AC Delcoe products that can be ordered in locally.

AutoValue should be able to special order the AC Delcoe/monroe ones if they don't have them in stock and Canadian tire can order most Monroe models.

Edit: Auto value may not carry AC Delcoe, if your set on those then order through RockAuto, they also carry the Gabriel ones.

#13 ·
I would stick with Rockauto, you choose your vehicle fitment first so you know whatever is listed will fit. And even with there shipping prices they are still usually cheaper then anything local, they've been a supporting sponsor for years here and on www.theXterra.org.

By far the best option for us Canadians and there always good about taking stuff back.

I am not to familiar with load assisted shocks and 1st generation Frontiers, but from my experience with having leaf packs that sag, your only options without buying a new pack are to either get them re-arched (companies like Standens) or else add more leaves to the pack to give them more arch.

I would guess that the load assist shocks are more to prevent leaf spring sag when carrying heavy loads, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

#14 ·
'
'
Well, I found a spring install up in Canada and they ordered the springs. Within 4 months, I took the truck back as the springs were bent backwards. I $ɧφ thee not.

I was down to about 1" of clearance.

I hadn't put anything into the truck as far as weight went. A company out of Alberta, Standens made the springs. Just crap. They did send another set, and I paid for a extra spring to be put in by the installer, and it's okay now, about 2.5" of travel, but what a disappointment.

I've got the springloaded shocks, and I'll be putting those on this summer, when I have time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.