Fuel Line Replacement Help - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Line Replacement Help

So I need to replace the fuel line in my truck that starts under the cab, and goes into the throttle body ***'y. I'm sure there's a technical name for that part, but I haven't figured that out so far. That's probably my main problem.

Anyway, here's a picture of the part that let me down. It sprung a leak about 2 weeks ago, and with help, I was able to patch in a piece of rubber hose so that I could get home from work without the truck exploding. Since then, the truck has sat in the parking lot, waiting for the new part to arrive.

For reference, the part I ordered, and need to replace, is reference number 16440N in the diagram below.

I have the service manual for the truck, and was hoping this would be a quick and easy fix, once I had the part. Remove broken line, install new line, enjoy running vehicle. However when I unwrapped the part, I quickly realized that I wouldn't be able to replace just the problem section, but the entire length of hose from the fuel line underneath the truck, to the TB ***'y.

Looks like I'm going to need some time to do it, and a few tools. Both of which I have. However, I'd like to find the section in the service manual where it describes what all I need to do in removing the line. The end with the quick-connector I get, but the other end by the TB I don't. Not sure how that works, and I need to know before I start working.

I tried looking up every part of the fuel system in the service manual, but the only thing it tells me is how to remove the fuel pump. I don't care about the fuel pump. Or the fuel tank. Or even that section of line. I want to know about the section up by the engine, but can't seem to find any info on it.

Anyone know where I need to look?

2005 Frontier XE KC 4x2
2009 Ducati Sport 1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
When you say TB thingy, I assume you mean the fuel rail in which holds the injectors into the head.

You are going to need a special fuel line tool to remove it properly. Others have used plyers and screwdrives but there is a special tool that will eliminate any damage.

I'd imagine that it is an 1hr job at most.

07 SE CC Auto
#3 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 08:12 PM
Shift_lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubie2003 View Post
When you say TB thingy, I assume you mean the fuel rail in which holds the injectors into the head.

You are going to need a special fuel line tool to remove it properly. Others have used plyers and screwdrives but there is a special tool that will eliminate any damage.

I'd imagine that it is an 1hr job at most.
Yes, the fuel rail. Throttle Body Assembly was the best description I could come up with.

I'm kinda keen on using the write tool for the job. Not big on using screwdrivers as hammers and the like.

When you say "1 hour job", do you mean one hour at a shop, or one hour of a home mechanic?

2005 Frontier XE KC 4x2
2009 Ducati Sport 1000
#4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Should be 1hr for the average guy with the correct tools.

07 SE CC Auto
#5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 11:18 PM
Shift_lurker

Quote:
Should be 1hr for the average guy with the correct tools.
Sounds like it would be a snap for a trained professional to do at the dealer, while I'm getting my state inspection and oil change then.

2005 Frontier XE KC 4x2
2009 Ducati Sport 1000
#6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 11:35 PM
Shift_Obsessed

As long as it is a true mechanic doing the job it will be. If they have one of their part time stoners doing the work, you will be screwed and your truck will burn to the ground.

07 SE CC Auto
#7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 08:37 AM
Shift_lurker

Quote:
As long as it is a true mechanic doing the job it will be. If they have one of their part time stoners doing the work, you will be screwed and your truck will burn to the ground.
I'll just have the dealer do it when I'm in for service then. At the very worst, it sounds like I'll get to watch some fire... which is always entertaining.

2005 Frontier XE KC 4x2
2009 Ducati Sport 1000

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > 4 Banger Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.