Diesel TD27 I-4 what can I do? - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Shift_Newbie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Diesel TD27 I-4 what can I do?

Hey, I've finally settled on a motor for my project (still years away, but getting closer), but you'll find my story and all my questions in this thread: The Frontier/Navara project

Anyways, I've found that I can grab a Nissan TD27 (out of the HardBody diesel trucks, and in the Frontier Bravado in the Philippines) here fairly easily. I've found that they are just turbo'd, and not intercooled. So, I've pretty much decided that I can put an air/air intercooler on rather than the straight tubing over the valve covers.

Though, I know there will be turbo-lag because the turbo isn't putting enough psi through. With this in mind, I'm hoping that I can find a Cummins or Duramax turbo to put on in place of the factory turbo. I've pretty much figured out the exhaust portion also, Magnaflow diesel 14" case.

Since the TD27 is out a smaller truck (x-cab/king cab), I'm trying to figure out how much more power (tq more specifically) that I can get, anyone know any more performance mods other than what I have mentioned?

-Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to beefy242
a Duramax turbo... that should be some high friggin boost. how much power these bad boys crank out from the factory??

cardomain page:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2425259/1
itsmynissan page: http://itsmynissan.com/beefy242
gamertag: The Real Johnso Myspace:http://www.myspace.com/cutestshitever
1st Gen 4 banger.

"There are 270,000,000 firearms in the United States under private ownership. Only .000035% of them are used in crimes. It's not the gun, it's the criminal."

#3 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 11:02 PM
Shift_Newbie

From what I've read, the turbos that the LB7 motors come with run 18-20 psi stock.

However, your question provoked me to do more research, lol. I've read that I could possibly adjust the stock turbo on the TD27 to run between 12 and 18 psi, with carefully done modifications such as an intercooler and a straight flowing exhaust (mandrel bent piping) and some other stuff to keep temps down. Hm, if I can adjust the psi on the stock TD27 turbo, then maybe I won't need a turbo from a Duramax or Cummins.

Any info on turning up the psi?
#4 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 07:17 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to beefy242
I haven't much experience with turbo or diesel engines... but i guess if you could find a turbo timer. thats the only way that i know of.

cardomain page:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2425259/1
itsmynissan page: http://itsmynissan.com/beefy242
gamertag: The Real Johnso Myspace:http://www.myspace.com/cutestshitever
1st Gen 4 banger.

"There are 270,000,000 firearms in the United States under private ownership. Only .000035% of them are used in crimes. It's not the gun, it's the criminal."

#5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 12:46 AM
Shift_Fanatic

probably better to post his in the international section. plenty of diesel heads live there

D22 came out with TD27 motor, so it should be easy enough to pull up the specs on gearboxes etc. i think the petrols ran a different gearbox.

mods to it....

first thing to do is fit EGT gauge. your pi**ing in the wind doing mods without an EGT gauge. fit sensor in the exhaust manifold, easier to do before you put the motor in the vehicle.

boost, i think you will find 15psi will be more than enough, especially with tuned injection pump to suit. obviously a good intercooler is highly recommended as well as a good high flowing exhaust.

turbo....i would wait till you see how the stock ones goes. bigger turbo's tend to lag more and take longer to get boost up. these are small motors that do not have much power when there is no/little boost.

'04 D22 Navara ZD30 3 litre diesel power
EGR and butterfly mod, catch can, extra rear spring leaf, to muddy to clean!
#6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 12:45 PM
Shift_Newbie

Ah, thanks for the tip on the EGT gauge. Thanks for the other info, Tweak'e. That helps a lot knowing that. When I get to my little project, I have this to reference too.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Shift_Newbie

Is there anything else I could get out of this motor? Any internal modifications or add-on/bolt-on performance devices?

I'm also curious about the fuel delivery system as well...Can I keep the truck's same gasoline fuel tank and fuel system, but flush it out and pour diesel in or will I have to do a whole different fuel delivery system?

Last edited by navarajon; 09-07-2008 at 03:06 PM.
#8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Shift_Fanatic

not sure about fuel tank. if it has a fuel return and no emmision crap (charcol filters blah blah) then i guess it should be fine.

performance mod's..... generall boost + more fuel. if its the non-efi one you can tweak the boost compensator a bit as well as just adjust the fuel.

for big power i suggest a decent intercooler, decompression plate, bigger turbo and big boost. you will proberly need to change the plunger in the injection pump and/or bigger injectors. however you may loose low down performance and have poor performance when cold. be carefull not to make it laggy or gutless when off boost.
watch your oil temps, you may want to look at adding another oil cooler to the existing one.

the other thing is water/meth injection. can be a cheap way of getting better performance. no intercooler needed and power depends on how much meths you use.

#9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Shift_Newbie

I don't want a ridiculous amount of power, I just want to do something to get it up towards 250 ft-lb of torque or at least enough to move the 4200 lb truck. The HP I'm not worried about, it's the torque. I want to keep everything on the motor as stock as possible though. The 263 (I think it was) ft.lbs. of torque that the YD25DDTi that our Navara had seemed sufficient enough to move the it around with ease.

As long as I don't buy a California truck, I'll be set. Cali has all of the unnecessary emissions stuff.

Last edited by navarajon; 09-07-2008 at 09:05 PM.
#10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 01:54 AM
Shift_Fanatic

just increase boost and increase fuel. keep boost under 15psi. wind up fuel untill you get near max EGT. just keep EGT's to a safe level.
intercool if at all possible, tho i would tune the pump without intercooler so if intercooler doesn't work well you don't go over max EGT's.
remember you have to allow headroom for when you have poor fuel, poor air, intercooler blocked etc.

dump/down pipe + 2.5"-3" exhaust will do the job nicly. bigger airfilter would be good to.

not sure what power/torque you will get but thats basicly all you can do without big mods. the YD25 produces good power up high, the TD won't have that but you may make it up with good solid mid range torque.

what raditor are you fitting? and what fan ? keep a good eye on coolant temp and don't trust factory guages.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > 4 Banger Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.