Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Buying a 2009 4cyl auto with 70k. Advice?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  xtopherfishing 
#1 ·
Just like the title says. Anything I should know or look out for? I'm very mechanically inclined and the truck seems fine. Does the 4cyl suffer from the radiator/trans fluid contamination problem I've read about? looking to get a reliable pick up first and foremost.

#3 ·
I don't think the 4 bangers have that same problem. Iv never had a problem with 100% stock motor/radiator and iv taken it to hell and back.. Also have a manual and was told the manuals do not have this problem period, it was only automatics from what I was told.
My truck is a '06 4 banger 5 speed with 80,000 on the clock

#4 ·
Manual transmission models don't have the issue because there is no ATF to mix with anything, and the radiators typically do not have inlet and outlet ports for the ATF.

Anyway, it appears that the issue hits V6 engines with automatic transmission from like 2005 to 2010 from what I read. And not just Frontiers either, Xterra too, I believe. So a new radiator or bypass the ATF aprt of the radiator on those is the fix, but that has to be done BEFORE there's internal leakage/mixing which will destroy both engine and transmission. And apparently 1 day out of warranty and Nissan says "your problem".

#5 ·
Inspect the tranny fluid for contamination and discoloration, and the same for the radiator. I have been on this forum for a long time and have yet to hear of anyone owning a 4 cylinder automatic having the Radiator/tranny cross contamination problem. That's doesn't mean it could not happen but I put it at very unlikely for the 4 cylinder Frontiers with autos. it would be more important to get the prev. owner history of maintenance and see if they changed out fluids when they were suppose to. I think the manual calls for tranny fluid change out at 30,000 miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.