Nissan Frontier Forum banner

'05 + 2nd gen, 4 bangers only, over 100,000 miles

13K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  LAfireboyd 
#1 ·
It would be interesting to see how many 2nd gen, '05+ , 4cylinder Frontier owners have reached or exceeded 100,000 miles on their trucks and list out any repairs or problems they have had. Please, only 4cylinder owners and only if you are past 100,000 miles on your 05 or newer 4cylinder Frontier. Thank you.

#5 ·
I have '06 frontier with 152000 on it. It has not given me any problems up till now. It shuts off after about 15 minutes of driving or just sitting idling. If driving it will pick right back up but if idling it takes a few tries to crank back up. I think i have narrowed it down to the fuel pump or computer not sure which one at the time. Other than that i love it just wish it was full 4 door. I also purchased it new.

#7 ·
2006 A/T here with 118, 000 and climbing. Problems so far: Replaced O2 sensor, front right wheelbearing, and had to get a new alternator.

Other than that it has been a great truck.

#8 · (Edited)
I'll post here again to get this back to more discussion. Those of you posting that your 4 cylinder has gone more than 100,000 miles would you also add what type of oil and oil filters you used for most of the mileage you report?? It would be interesting to see if the synthetic oils seem to get up to higher mileages than regular non-synthetics. And maybe add at what frequency did you change your oil and filters (every 3,000 miles, every 5,000 miles, etc, etc.) Thank you for your help.

#9 ·
here is a quote from a new forum member, JoshRob:

Its a 2007 2wd 4 banger. 130k and running strong! I need some opinions on tires for my truck. It's time for new ones and I'm thinking some sort of all terrain tires for increased traction in mud and snow, I live on a dirt road and it gets bad sometimes. Until I figure out why I can't post in the 4 banger forum this will have to do. Thanks guys, digging the forum so far!

#10 · (Edited)
I have a 2006 XE fronty, AT unfortunately. I have 138,000 on the odo right now. The truck had been great, i average about 19-23 mpg depending on how i drive. It has bilsteins in front with a 2" spacer and PRG deavers in back with extended bilsteins. dba brake rotors all around, running the frontier Nismo wheel with a 255/70/16 tire.

I work as an electrician, the truck does atleast 70-100 miles a day on mostly highway, jobsites get rough, uneven terrain, lots of mud and gravel

Parts replaced in order and mileage(not including belts and plugs and filters):
-Front driver side wheel bearing @ 75k
-Idler pulley because of the horrible squeal when its humid out@95k
-Driveshaft support bearing, all three u-joints(u-joints were not bad, but i had the driveshaft out of the truck, it was a preventative maintenance, convenience factor)@120k
-Both front lower ball joints, and shocks @120k
-Rear shocks @125k

I have towed other trucks out of the mud (colorado, haha).. i have hauled a mid-size matco tool box several times, driven a 1,500lb payload of gravel to my house, pulled a stump out of the ground, hauled my motorcycle... never a hiccup. I doesnt leak a drop of oil, the oil is just as gold coming out as it is when its new and being poured in.

I replace my belts every 50k with Goodyear Gatorbacks, they are USA made and quiet
The spark plugs were replaced with NGK Laser Platinum
All parts replaced were either OEM Nissan(my friend is a parts manager, nice discount) or with USA made or German made parts(shocks).

Oil has ALWAYS been 5w30 Organic, Penzzoil. Changed every 3,000 miles, with a WIX filter or Denso Filter.

#11 · (Edited)
Here is a quote from Steve S (per his permission):

Hi,

I know it's an old topic but just voted 'No' in the 2nd gen 4cylinder poll. I run a 2006 december month make 2.5dCi 174HP. It has 235k kms on the odometer and running the original chains. Now it has some rattling sound but is well beyond the Nissanrecommended 200k replacement. I'm collecting the parts for the lower duplex chain conversion and I think that it will already reach 250k when I'll have all the stuff. Hope it won't snap sooner.

Since it is our company truck it was treated like a workhorse and everybody who used pushed the sh*t out of it. Under Nissan warranty it was serviced every 30k kms. After reaching 160k I've been working on it and changing oil 10-12-15k kms dependig on usage. In my opinion this is the reason it did not snap the chains because there is always good oil in it.

Regards,

Steve

Steve's comments certainly support regular oil changes. 146,000 miles is = 235,000 km.

#12 ·
I am going to post to this thread again. I want to keep hearing from 4 cylinder owners of 2nd gen Frontiers to see how many get past 100,000 miles. I'm half way there now and not a single problem in 5.5 yrs of ownership. I still have the oil/filters changed every 3,000 miles or 3mos.

#13 ·
Add mine to the 100,000 mile club. I just passed 100,000 miles with my 07 XE. Never been back to dealer or any repair shop-original brakes, plugs, everything! Had a few small issues I fixed myself, but all in all the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned! I also posted this in the General forum for the guys that bash the 4 cyl

#16 ·
I am copying this post from another thread to this thread as it speaks to some issues involving a 2nd gen 4 cylinder:

Clutch noise again, belt screeching, and power window repair.
2007 Frontier XE 4cl 5sp manual.
102,000 miles

Well, I had posted this awhile back (around 85k miles) that my clutch was making some winding noises when engaged. The consensus was that it might have been the throw-out bearing, mechanic agreed. Well, I had that replaced for $850.

To my surprise, about 5k miles ago, the sound started to come back... Yep. And just like last time, it started out rarely happening, and got progressively more and more common. It still does not last long, maybe only when I press the clutch in for the first 1/8th of a mile after start up. Sure enough its happening more and more. Could it still be the TO bearing?.. I honestly dont want to spend $850 for a few month temporary fix... The clutch was not resurfaced as the mechanic didnt know much about the dual friction (correct me if wrong terminology) clutches. So, what to do, and what do you think it might be? It also has a bit of a feel on the clutch when it happens I can feel on the pedal.

I had my belts replaced awhile back aswell, and my truck has always started with a long, LOUD, screeching sound that is the belt sound. I never bothered to fix this, as I dont care about the noise. But now, I figure if its something I can fix I might as well. When the belts were replaced, it fixed the problem for a few months. I am thinking maybe the pulley the belts are connected to? What are your thoughts?

Last, the driver side power window died. Pretty annoying here in Florida. On a scale of 1-10 how hard would it be to replace, and I have seen multiple tips/vids on which device replaces it, and one of the youtube vids shows a guy just cleaning the grease off the brushes.. Does that apply for the 05+ Frontiers?

Any help would be useful, and thanks again.

#17 ·
I've stated on here that my '07 XE 4 cyl/5 spd has never been in any shop for any repair. I just had the state inspection and, while my brakes would pass inspection, they were getting pretty worn at 104,000 miles, they let me look at the pads-so I had them replaced. The strange thing to me was that the back brakes were worn more than the fronts. I've never seen that before! They wanted to replace the rotors, but they have never pulsated when stopping and he couldn't really convince me they needed it. I also can't tell any difference now driving with the new pads. So I can no longer say it's never been in the shop before

#18 ·
Thanks for those comments. Its good to know that brake pads can last that long on the 4's. Driving slower and with a lighter weight vehicle has its benefits. I am at 56,000 so hope mine take me past 100,000.

#19 ·
07 xe

07 xe, almost 110000 miles.
Bought the truck used around 100 so not sure of the total history. Personally done a fair amount of work to get the truck back into shape. The front struts were weak and was getting a lot of creaking out of the front end. Replaced with bil 5100s and a set of used 4x4 frontier springs. Springs have an extra coil thus are taller. Raised the truck and fixed the creaking. The xe sits lower than most models and I believe having the taller springs helped to correct the geometry. ended with 2 in front lift and not more creaking or bottoming out

Trans- first time I changed the trans oil a number of tooth chips came out. So maybe looking at a trans change at some point. Nothing I can really do about it so I am only so worrier. Its a manual and the previous owner struggled with it at times. little rough shifting into first but after that everything smooths out.

Truck had factory plugs- after changing the plugs more power and it idled 2000 rpm lower haha safe to say the plugs were shot

Clutch- getting a squeaking out off the clutch when cycling. Climbed under the truck and determined its coming from inside the bell housing. greased the fork where it passed through the housing but it didnt do a whole lot. Thinking it has something to do with the internals. Again nothing I can really do so not too worried. Drive it till something goes wrong.

Other that a small rust patch that had to be sanded and repainted the trucks been good.

#20 ·
Just purchased an 05 XE with 137K miles. Previous owner installed a new clutch at 136k and brake pads at 135K. He changed the oil & air filter at regular intervals over the five years he owned it. Don't know about the maintenance habits of the first owner. Truck drives great, tight, no rattles. I'm looking forward to a lot more miles out of this Fronty!

#21 ·
I work at a Nissan dealership as a tech and we have a 2008 Frontier SE 4cyl Auto as a parts delivery truck. It has 253,000 miles as of this morning and has had nothing but oil changes since we got it a few years ago with 26,000 miles. Correction, I think it just received its first set of plugs a few months ago and I also had to replace both headlamp connectors because they were burnt. Kept dropping low beam on both sides. That was 2 weeks ago. Other than that, 1 set of brake pads and an air filter here and there, and it keeps on going. The miles put on it are mostly highway miles but still.

#22 ·
add another one o6 frontier 2.5 5spd bought it with 50k put a clutch in at 100k at 75k went to dealer for recall gas guage and ecu fix stalled out on the road 82k cat went bad due to the ecu prob which nissan would not replace had a favor called in by the dealer fixed till now at 130k replaced plugs and 1 coil {mistake}change all when apart back into it at 158k 4 plugs and 4 coils due to misfires and stumbling on accel + fuel injection cleaning good for 4k miles now it stumbles bucks off idle and about 12-1800 rpms worse with ac on its been a good truck till now gas mileage sucks 24-25 0n highway 18-20 in the city i drive 300+ a week and im on it pretty hard.My 1st gen 98 fronty got 28mpg on highway with 200k on the clock

#23 · (Edited)
I have 111k on an '05 XE with an automatic transmission. Mostly highway commuting miles with some occasional light hauling. Had to replace a crankshaft speed sensor at about 70k, A/C needs to be recharged every few years, and had the clicking issue with the re-circulation door the last few years (which I seemed to have fixed without taking apart the dash). Overall, no expensive repairs.

Would like to get another 5 or so years out of my pickup, and I wonder about the transmission oil cooler issue. A couple points - my truck was part of the extended warranty, and it appears that the design of the radiator is the same as the 6 cyl models (although a different part number). On the other hand, searching online I've never found an actual case of a 4 cyl auto owner having the contamination/failed transmission issue. So the risk of radiator/transmission failure seems small but it's a bit difficult to evaluate.

I limit the use of the re-circulation vent, but other than that the truck is working the same as the day I drove it off the dealer's lot 10 years ago.

#24 ·
Thanks for your update. I agree, I have never seen any comments on this forum from 2nd gen 4 cylinder owners with auto trannys that were complaining about the cross contamination problem. If the fluids in your radiator and tranny look good (clear) then I wouldn't bother with the by pass work (I assume you have fluids changed out at normal times per owners maintenance manual). I am hoping to take my '08 to 15 years of ownership as well and I too have had no major issues with my truck (mine is a manual tranny). Its been rock solid reliable. have a good day!

#25 · (Edited)
300,000 on March 17, 2015; about 309,000 as of this posting date. And as I stated in my introductory thread, that's not a typo, it's really a 3.

I believe xtopherfishing wanted to copy and paste my post from my introductory thread where I describe my 9-year ownership of my 2006, but I think linking it might be simpler:

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f7/2nd-trip-new-frontier-197641/

The pic that's worth a thousand words, or in this case, 300,000 miles, is in post 5 of the above-linked thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.